Sign in to follow this  
gradyp

What towcar do you use for your Buccaneer

well i think that the figures for the awning is approx 25kg and the motor mover is 35 and the air con is 33. so yes approx 100kg is taken up there. so that leaves 85kg left . so you will have to be careful about the rest, and that would be full to the brim. then it takes you back to the loading of 120 on the nose. myself i think putting the awning in the car would be the easier option . giving lighter weight bulky stuff stuff(lighter weight thing like aqua roll and w/master,clumsy but more effective) for the van. which may make it easier to achieve the nose. air con will be slightly nose over the axles,but i would not have thought to much,just payload is eaten into.

if its the cruiser you have we slide the waste master between the bed and the bathroom wall. fits snug. kitchen items will be the heaiest in the front half with cloths and bedding in the aft. as said all other heavy stuff should go in the car(safer i think).

lastly in my opinion, if you have a front cover fitted when towing can make a huge difference when the air is pushed up over the van. i think more down force is applied and the weight in itself is approx 10kg. just a reminder. we only carry a single gas bottle as we eat out alot except of bbq's. last us ages and saves on the weight and me doing the dishes.    ; ).

17 hours ago, chris76 said:

the tow ball is 200, also weve got the plate upgrade its stamped as being 2000kg,150kg, then 1- 1000kg, 2- 1000kg

im having air con fitted in a couple of weeks time which is 33kg and we have a single axle  motor mover, a bradcott 390 air awning, so im guessing thats about 100kg or so, so in reality roughly how much weight allowance can i expect to be left over.   and do people normally just fill the wardrobes with clothes and fill the kitchen cupboards etc?

You will definitely exceed the MTPLM of the caravan with all that stuff.   We have an air con, satellite dish and AWD motor mover.   We carry the awning clothes and food in the vehicle to stay within the MTPLM.   Actually the awning, awning skirt etc and a few other bits and bobs all go in a roof box onto top of the car.

just got back today from our first ever week away i weighed the noseweight before setting off and it was just under 150 with everything loaded in the pick up, then checked the weight between moving sites with clothes and light bits and bobs in the cupboards and it was just under 120, so not sure what was going on there, both on gravel.

but yes durbanite we'll keep awning and anything heavy in the pick up, iv even ordered roof bars so will load in my roof box also.

cheers

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, chris76 said:

just got back today from our first ever week away i weighed the noseweight before setting off and it was just under 150 with everything loaded in the pick up, then checked the weight between moving sites with clothes and light bits and bobs in the cupboards and it was just under 120, so not sure what was going on there, both on gravel.

but yes durbanite we'll keep awning and anything heavy in the pick up, iv even ordered roof bars so will load in my roof box also.

cheers

I think that a nose weight of 150kg may be too heavy for a Amarok?  Try for 140kg without loading stuff to the rear of the caravan.   Also remember that loading too much into the rear of the Amarok may also cause issues as it could lift the front wheels.   Did you increase the pressure in the rear tyres? 

Edited by Durbanite

5 hours ago, Durbanite said:

I think that a nose weight of 150kg may be too heavy for a Amarok?  Try for 140kg without loading stuff to the rear of the caravan.   Also remember that loading too much into the rear of the Amarok may also cause issues as it could lift the front wheels.   Did you increase the pressure in the rear tyres? 

no i didnt think to do the tyre pressures, i will next time,thanks for the heads up

im pretty sure the amarok is only 120kg nose weight,although it has a 1 ton payload

17 hours ago, chris76 said:

no i didnt think to do the tyre pressures, i will next time,thanks for the heads up

im pretty sure the amarok is only 120kg nose weight,although it has a 1 ton payload

I did a check on Caravan and Motorhome Club towing match and made the assumption the Amarok was 3. 0l auto and the cruiser with a maximum MTPLM of 2000kg.   The Amarok came out with a nose weight of 120kg.

According to manufacturer guidelines nose weight of a caravan should be between 5 and 7% however 7% is better.   You need to get it down to at least 120kg which is difficult with the Buccaneer due to it being nose heavy at 150kg from day one.  

Load stuff over the axle but you already know that however although not generally recommended  it may help is have about 20l water in the onboard tank.   It will slosh around but unlikely to rip the tank off its mountings.

hi durbanite its actually the 2. 0l bi ti but yeah the noseweight is the same. instead of putting water in the tank couldnt i just put my awning under the bed?

Kerb weight: 95% The caravan's laden weight is close to the car's kerb weight, increasing the risk of stability concerns. This outfit should not be driven by novice towers, and does not meet Club guidelines. Note that a small increase in ratio (to perhaps 90%) is acceptable if all other criteria are passed. Towing limit: 63% The caravan's laden weight is within the car's stated towing limit, and therefore meets legal limitations. Gross train weight: 81% The sum of the car and caravan’s fully laden weights is within the car’s gross train weight. This outfit can therefore be used legally with both the car and the caravan fully laden. Nose weight: 83% The car's nose weight should be fine to safely tow this caravan. If this figure is high, however, (typically over 100%) care will be needed to load the caravan so that the car’s nose weight limit is not exceeded, but this should be practically achievable. Aim for 5-7% of the caravan’s actual laden weight without overloading the car. BHP per ton: 41 The car’s engine power should be fine to safely tow this caravan.

15 hours ago, chris76 said:

hi durbanite its actually the 2. 0l bi ti but yeah the noseweight is the same. instead of putting water in the tank couldnt i just put my awning under the bed?

Kerb weight: 95% The caravan's laden weight is close to the car's kerb weight, increasing the risk of stability concerns. This outfit should not be driven by novice towers, and does not meet Club guidelines. Note that a small increase in ratio (to perhaps 90%) is acceptable if all other criteria are passed. Towing limit: 63% The caravan's laden weight is within the car's stated towing limit, and therefore meets legal limitations. Gross train weight: 81% The sum of the car and caravan’s fully laden weights is within the car’s gross train weight. This outfit can therefore be used legally with both the car and the caravan fully laden. Nose weight: 83% The car's nose weight should be fine to safely tow this caravan. If this figure is high, however, (typically over 100%) care will be needed to load the caravan so that the car’s nose weight limit is not exceeded, but this should be practically achievable. Aim for 5-7% of the caravan’s actual laden weight without overloading the car. BHP per ton: 41 The car’s engine power should be fine to safely tow this caravan.

Unfortunately the awning would be too the rear of the water tank and axle and could create other problems.   Better to carry the awning in the vehicle or in a roof box on the vehicle.

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 22:57, AlanS said:

We use a Kia Sorento as do many others - 2 of our friends tow with them as well. The auto box is great and takes towing in its stride and is good for towing 2000kg.

Alan

I am considering buying a new Buccaneer but am a little confused about towing it. I have a 2016 Hyundai Santa fe which is capable of towing the van according to the caravan club matching service, albeit at the top end of the legal limits.   I currently tow a Fleetwood Heritage TA without problems. What confuses me is the nose weight issue. A number of people on this thread have mentioned nose weights of 140+ KG. My Santa Fe tow bar is not rated anywhere near this level (80Kg I believe) also I thought ALKO chassis had a limit of 100kg. Before I make an expensive mistake can someone confirm whether I can safely tow this van with my current car or not.

Of course it will depend on the car but I tow our Commodore at about 115kg. Below 100kg I definitely feel the van beginning to "float".

This has been discussed a lot on here and if you look at the older BPW Winterhoff data it says tow at 150kg which is max anyway for a Discovery. Never been up that high with it though.

1 hour ago, Fordsabroad said:

I am considering buying a new Buccaneer but am a little confused about towing it. I have a 2016 Hyundai Santa fe which is capable of towing the van according to the caravan club matching service, albeit at the top end of the legal limits.   I currently tow a Fleetwood Heritage TA without problems. What confuses me is the nose weight issue. A number of people on this thread have mentioned nose weights of 140+ KG. My Santa Fe tow bar is not rated anywhere near this level (80Kg I believe) also I thought ALKO chassis had a limit of 100kg. Before I make an expensive mistake can someone confirm whether I can safely tow this van with my current car or not.

The ALKO hitch on the Buccaneer is rated for 150kg maximum.   We tow at 140kg nose weight and it seems ideal for us.   We have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit with air suspension.

3 hours ago, GB1309 said:

Of course it will depend on the car but I tow our Commodore at about 115kg. Below 100kg I definitely feel the van beginning to "float".

This has been discussed a lot on here and if you look at the older BPW Winterhoff data it says tow at 150kg which is max anyway for a Discovery. Never been up that high with it though.

how do you get it down to 115? just placing stuff in middle to rear? 

mind iv just realised i towed the van 30 miles each way to the service centre today and forgot id placed the awning in the front locker for storage. Iv only got a 120kg noseweight allowance and everything felt fine

Edited by chris76

2 hours ago, chris76 said:

how do you get it down to 115? just placing stuff in middle to rear? 

mind iv just realised i towed the van 30 miles each way to the service centre today and forgot id placed the awning in the front locker for storage. Iv only got a 120kg noseweight allowance and everything felt fine

Pretty much as you suggest.

Actually we carry very little in the van due to the well understood payload restrictions. Only one gas cylinder and the wastemaster in the front locker for instance. I certainly don't try to counterbalance by sticking items toward the rear. We are fortunate in having 640kg capability in the D4 so most stuff goes in there.  

Thanks for your replies but I think I may need to rephrase the question. Does anyone tow a Buccaneer with an automatic Hyundai Santa Fe?  Looking at the specs the fitted detachable tow ball has a max nose weight of 100kg.

All the indicators are that it is unsafe to do so as, from reading here it seems almost impossible to get the nose weight down to 100kg. I am just hoping that I am overlooking something as I like the look of these vans.

It would be good to hear from anyone who actually tows with this combo.

9 hours ago, Fordsabroad said:

Thanks for your replies but I think I may need to rephrase the question. Does anyone tow a Buccaneer with an automatic Hyundai Santa Fe?  Looking at the specs the fitted detachable tow ball has a max nose weight of 100kg.

All the indicators are that it is unsafe to do so as, from reading here it seems almost impossible to get the nose weight down to 100kg. I am just hoping that I am overlooking something as I like the look of these vans.

It would be good to hear from anyone who actually tows with this combo.

GB and myself belong to the Buccaneer forum on FB and I do not recall any one towing with a Hyundai Santa Fe auto or manual.   In addition some of the Buccaneers have a MTPLM of 2000kg and the 2012-2018 Santa Fe auto has a kerb weight of about 2001kg with a gross weight of 2600kg.   The 2019 Santa Fe is even lighter.   Which ever way you look at it, the Santa Fe is probably too light for most Buccaneers.   The Cruiser standard I think is 1800kg which can be upgraded to 2000kg and in most cases you really need the upgrade.

Durbanite. Thank you for your reply, it is exactly the response I needed, but not necessarily wanted. You may have saved  me spending many thousands of £. I have to admit the Buccaneer is definitely in the camp of "want" not "need" I will just need to soldier on with my 2009 Fleetwood heritage (first world problems)!!

Shame really as I really liked the idea of the self levelling but am loathe to spend 3K retrofitting it on a 10 year old van.

Halfway house could be the E&P Compact system (auto jacks on the axle each side so side to side levelling easier) at @ £1800 and could be removed and re-fitted to next caravan quite easily if required?

18 minutes ago, VOLVOVANNER said:

Halfway house could be the E&P Compact system (auto jacks on the axle each side so side to side levelling easier) at @ £1800 and could be removed and re-fitted to next caravan quite easily if required?

Totally agree with Volvovanner. Had this done to our Caravel at Conrad Anderson in Birmingham. It gets you out of the major issue with TAs which is the cross levelling. Winding the corner steadies is no great problem.

The Fleetwoods that I have seen look really well made. If yours is solid, leak free and does all you need perhaps keeping it and adding the E&P might be money well spent. Another option might be new upholstery which might fool the eye and please the wallet.

We have our Commodore plated to 2000kg as Durbanite said and with 4WD mover fitted we have barely 150kg payload hence the Discovery which at 2560kg cuts the mustard.

I have just bought a Commodore to replace my Schooner.  The Schooner had an empty nose weight of 155 kg.  To get it down I carry one of the gas bottles in the car and I put everything heavy over or just behind the wheels on the van.  The new Commodore was even worse at 162 kg.  I've had to put some heavy stuff in the rear bedroom to get it down below 140kg, the limit for my Jeep Commander.

I'm sure a lot of people who tow these vans are seriously overloading their tow bars.  Very few cars have a limit higher than 150kg.

Hello all,

I have read all these posts with real interest. We are contemplating upgrading to a 2020 Commodore.  This will be towed with a 2019 XC90 D5 Powerpulse. Its kw WITHOUT tow bar, awning, dog, SWMBO, beer and general stuff is 2021 kilos so I guess t will be easily 2250 max up.  I was frankly a little apprehensive about the potential match as we currently tow a Swift Challenger 580 with ease - less than 70%. The increase in weight will be substantial but it looks ok on paper. What do you all think?

Cheers all!

Edited by yorkyguy

14 hours ago, yorkyguy said:

Hello all,

I have read all these posts with real interest. We are contemplating upgrading to a 2020 Commodore.  This will be towed with a 2019 XC90 D5 Powerpulse. Its kw WITHOUT tow bar, awning, dog, SWMBO, beer and general stuff is 2021 kilos so I guess t will be easily 2250 max up.  I was frankly a little apprehensive about the potential match as we currently tow a Swift Challenger 580 with ease - less than 70%. The increase in weight will be substantial but it looks ok on paper. What do you all think?

Cheers all!

The Buccaneer has a maximum nose weight of 150kg and maximum MTPLM of 2000kg.  The kerbweight of the Volvo T5 is under 2000kg at 1965kg however the maximum gross weight is 2750kg.  You would need to check the maximum downward force on the towbar allowed on the Volvo otherwise you could be in for a hairy ride.  Otherwise the car seems quite capable of towing the Buccaneer.  We tow with a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0l CRD.

18 hours ago, yorkyguy said:

Hello all,

Cheers all!

We tow a 2018 Cruiser with our XC90 D5 PP. It is an R-Design Pro model and I weighted it the other day - empty (and without driver/passenger) it weighed 2240kg.

Previous car was a 2014 VW Touareg v6.

I loved the VW and was concerned the Volvo with its 2 ltr engine would not have been up to the task. How wrong was I. The Volvo tows the caravan equally as well as the VW. They both have air suspension altho i guess the longer wheelbase of the Volvo makes it feel more stable and comfortable. The Volvo just gets on with it without fuss - I am over the moon with it.

On 13/02/2019 at 15:39, Fordsabroad said:

A 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe should have a 100kg noseweight limit for both manual and automatic transmissions - recheck the limit on your towbar - is it possible the previous owner, if bought used, fitted the towbar from a 2009-2012 model which was 80kg for the automatic.

4 hours ago, VOLVOVANNER said:

We tow a 2018 Cruiser with our XC90 D5 PP. It is an R-Design Pro model and I weighted it the other day - empty (and without driver/passenger) it weighed 2240kg.

Previous car was a 2014 VW Touareg v6.

I loved the VW and was concerned the Volvo with its 2 ltr engine would not have been up to the task. How wrong was I. The Volvo tows the caravan equally as well as the VW. They both have air suspension altho i guess the longer wheelbase of the Volvo makes it feel more stable and comfortable. The Volvo just gets on with it without fuss - I am over the moon with it.

My d5 has a 2.4 in it.didnt know they done a 2.0 in the d5?mine is the se nav model not the r design,but thought they had the same engine unless it to do with the power pulse.either way mine is brill if a little thirsty.

Edited by smino0_1

1 hour ago, smino0_1 said:

My d5 has a 2.4 in it.didnt know they done a 2.0 in the d5?mine is the se nav model not the r design,but thought they had the same engine unless it to do with the power pulse.either way mine is brill if a little thirsty.

The Mk 2 XC90’s from 2016 onwards are known as the SPA platform and all had 2.0 ltr 4 cylinder engines only - D5 which is the diesel (235 PS), T6 which is a petrol and fast and T8 which is a petrol/electric hybrid and faster still.

The XC60’s joined the SPA family with a new model in late 2017 which came with the above engines plus a smaller D4 engine and I believe a D3 as well as  T5 and T6 + T8 petrol versions but again all 2 ltr 4 cylinders.

My D5 makes no fuss, just quietly gets on with pulling 2000kg of twin axle Buccaneer in supreme comfort - but guess the air suspension helps a bit.