What towcar do you use for your Buccaneer

Minimum kerbweights of 2018 XC90 (just taken from Volvo UK specs) are as follows;

D5 (Diesel - 480Nm torque and usual choice for those towing i guess) 2171kg

T6 Petrol 2165kg

Hybrid 2319kg

Few of these are ‘standard trim’ cars so each variant could well weigh more than the minimum. I hope they are ok in front of Bucanneer’s, I collected mine (D5) 2 weeks ago and hope to try it out next week in anger! Follows 4 years with a fantastic VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 diesel. I took some convincing the 2. 0 Volvo twin turbo engine will be up to the task - it should on paper and it def is solo and max towing weight is 2700kg. Looked at all contenders with the 3. 0 engines but kept coming back to the XC90. I had a Mk 1 XC90 from 2009 to 2013 and towed a 2000kg TA Elddis with that successfully.

Powrtouch AWD Movers. E & P Compact Levelling System.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pity you dont like Land Rovers as I tow Cruiser with Discovery 4 and absolutely excellent.   Do consider the 85% guideline of van to tow car as Buccaneers are up to MTPLM of 2000Kg as mine is rated.  

See signature.   Ian

We have the Jeep Grand Cherokee and it is a brilliant tow car.

Posted Images

Two on flooded field near me,one  Grand Cherokee,the other a Disco older model.

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Well I've spent up

2 weeks ago part-ex'd motorhome for new Crusader Storm delivery June

Yesterday ordered Land Rover Discovery Sport SE TECH delivery end of May

That has been an expensive couple of weeks

To be fair I've done OK, when I looked at the deal with the caravan I done OK and on the discovery with the son-in-laws discount of 20% done OK on that as well

Roll on this summer. End of August down to Spain for 6 weeks

Paul

5 hours ago, shipbroker said:

Two on flooded field near me,one  Grand Cherokee,the other a Disco older model.

Geoff

Tractored off this morning. ..not surprising though after a week of almost non-stop rain and or snow!

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Hi there

I tow using the Ford Edge 180bhp manual but I'm only pulling 1530kg.

I'm a Ford employee so it was a no brainer.

Solo its reasonably economical.

You would need to look at the recommended pulling weight to confirm its suitability for your chosen caravan.

One thing I would mention though is the Edge feels like a very WIDE vehicle :mellow:

Edited by charlieboy2608
40 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Hi there

I tow using the Ford Edge 180bhp manual but I'm only pulling 1530kg.

I'm a Ford employee so it was a no brainer.

Solo its reasonably economical.

You would need to look at the recommended pulling weight to confirm its suitability for your chosen caravan.

One thing I would mention though is the Edge feels like a very WIDE vehicle :mellow:

We set our heart on the Edge but my son-in-law gets a better deal with LR and your right the Edge is wide, went for test drive and you feel it's width and I've been driving full size motorhomes for the last 5 yrs.

Ok good luck with LR!

Not trying to upset you here but I do remember the days when Ford owned LR and unfortunately they are still notoriously unreliable (knowledge gained from dealership feedback). . ....apologises for that comment  :ph34r: 

LR definitely have more choice and weight alternatives for the caravan you plan to tow.

Edited by charlieboy2608
On 4/4/2018 at 12:23, gradyp said:

Well I've spent up

2 weeks ago part-ex'd motorhome for new Crusader Storm delivery June

Yesterday ordered Land Rover Discovery Sport SE TECH delivery end of May

That has been an expensive couple of weeks

To be fair I've done OK, when I looked at the deal with the caravan I done OK and on the discovery with the son-in-laws discount of 20% done OK on that as well

Roll on this summer. End of August down to Spain for 6 weeks

Paul

I tow a Commodore with a Disco Sport - no problem!

23 hours ago, Dunskeig said:

I tow a Commodore with a Disco Sport - no problem!

Thanks for that feedback , ,  the crusader is 200kg lighter so that gives me some confidence

Thanks again

Paul

6 hours ago, bubble2015 said:

Just starting contemplating a Disco sport, what engines have you guys gone for?

I've bought the SE TECH 180 bhp Auto ,   but obviously not used it yet

I use towcar match service https://towcar. info/GB/ seems a good place to start

Interesting . ... test drove a Disco Sport  240 SD4 last week, very nice but a lot of money.   Had discounted the 180 TD4 as now towing 1700Kg.

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

• 5 months later...

I use an ISUZU Yukon, 2. 5 litre with auto box, I went from AUDI A8 couldn't cope with nose weight.

Land Rover Discovery 5 TD6  HSE

IMG_1324.jpg

Never understood why anyone would want to sit in a white box in field looking at other white boxes.

Another vote for the Navara. Very car like and with the hard top on the pick up bed I can get everything in the back.  

Bear in mind the Volvo XC 60 is a Freelander in a skirt ( better looking and nicer to drive but still a Landie with a Peugeot engine

Another vote for the Navara. Very car like and with the hard top on the pick up bed I can get everything in the back.  

Bear in mind the Volvo XC 60 is a Freelander in a skirt ( better looking and nicer to drive but still a Landie with a Peugeot engine

9 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

Not remotely true.

The XC60 is based on the ‘P3’ chassis which is a relation of the Mondeo and a very distant relation to the Freelander II but it’s not a ‘Freelander in a Skirt’. It also doesn’t have a ‘Peugeot Engine’.

• 2 months later...

im getting a bit concerned about this nose weight we have just bought  our first van, a 2018 cruiser

we have a amarok which has a 120kg tow ball allowance, geting worried our insurance will be invalid

Edited by chris76

Chris,

have you got the van yet? 

If so / when you do, take the opportunity to weigh it carefully while unloaded to understand properly where you are starting from.

There are a number of things you can do to mitigate the problem if it exists, possibly the subject of a new thread.

Certainly, in the event of a claim which may prompt an investigation of such matters it may well invalidate cover, but even before such an incident, over loading the tow hitch and it's mountings together with the rear end of your vehicle is not a good place to start!

Jim

150kg is the limit,however some cars find that full nose weight is not always the best configuration. Ive towed light nose and got around the corner and had to pull over as it felt bad straight away. but ive also done the other way around too. but the worst i have experianced is with or without a towing cover. with is great but without was terrible. so ive read before about this before and a guy gave the explanations as to why. as the faster you drive with the nose lower the more the downforce is exerted etc etc.

65 volvo geartronic se nav, 2016 buccaneer cruiser, 2017 buccaneer commadore, 2018 swift kon-tiki 669 auto, 2015 range rover 3. 0 sdv6 autobiography dynamic auto

yeah iv got the van, were going on our first trip on the 28th,iv got some scales so ill weigh it before packing and im guessing i need to keep it at just under 115kg

mind were planning on going abroad in the summer and the pick up will be loaded tot he max,lol with bike on the roof

iv just checked the data badge its got figures of 3170,5950,1425 and 1860 kg

15 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

Just keep the nose under 120kg - sure Bucaneers have a 150kg limit but just set it lower.

It can be done but can possibly make for an uncomfortable tow due to pitching.   We found the best nose weight for our Jeep to be about 140kg.

So looking at those figures are

1860 is the kerb

5950 is the gtw

3170 is what it can tow

So both empty would be car(kerb) 1860kg plus the van empty of 1766(max plated 1925) =3626kg

so car at say a reasonable 640kg plus max van at 1925(if you dont have the plate upgrade) =2500kg plus 1925 =4475kg

so in reallity thats allowing you 159kg in the van and 640kg in the car. which i would say is more than ample,but your car according to vw can goto 2700kg (that would give you a payload of 800total) but that would actually be nearly a tonne of items . giving that if all maxed out would return to the 150kg nose weight be achievable????

Secondly have you checked the towbar weights too. these will also be stamped on the towbar

65 volvo geartronic se nav, 2016 buccaneer cruiser, 2017 buccaneer commadore, 2018 swift kon-tiki 669 auto, 2015 range rover 3. 0 sdv6 autobiography dynamic auto

On 24/12/2018 at 13:21, smino0_1 said:

So looking at those figures are

1860 is the kerb

5950 is the gtw

3170 is what it can tow

So both empty would be car(kerb) 1860kg plus the van empty of 1766(max plated 1925) =3626kg

so car at say a reasonable 640kg plus max van at 1925(if you dont have the plate upgrade) =2500kg plus 1925 =4475kg

so in reallity thats allowing you 159kg in the van and 640kg in the car. which i would say is more than ample,but your car according to vw can goto 2700kg (that would give you a payload of 800total) but that would actually be nearly a tonne of items . giving that if all maxed out would return to the 150kg nose weight be achievable????

Secondly have you checked the towbar weights too. these will also be stamped on the towbar

the tow ball is 200, also weve got the plate upgrade its stamped as being 2000kg,150kg, then 1- 1000kg, 2- 1000kg

im having air con fitted in a couple of weeks time which is 33kg and we have a single axle  motor mover, a bradcott 390 air awning, so im guessing thats about 100kg or so, so in reality roughly how much weight allowance can i expect to be left over.   and do people normally just fill the wardrobes with clothes and fill the kitchen cupboards etc?