Sign in to follow this  
gradyp

What towcar do you use for your Buccaneer

Going to look at Buccaneer Cruiser / Commodore this week. We currently have a M/B E Class which is a little light for the Buccaneer range so looking for suggestions.

We have a short list of

Ford Ranger

BMW X5

Ford Edge

Don't like Land Rovers

We would like a saloon car but can't  find one to pull almost 2 tonnes

Any suggestions, what do you use

Cheers Paul

Im a volvo person and would say the xc90 but theres also the xc70 awd. but not sure on the xc70 spec without checking. i tow our with the xc60. d5 se nav awd auto 220bhp. ive towed ours for 2 years and feel great on the road

Edited by smino0_1

24 minutes ago, gradyp said:

Going to look at Buccaneer Cruiser / Commodore this week. We currently have a M/B E Class which is a little light for the Buccaneer range so looking for suggestions.

We have a short list of

Ford Ranger

BMW X5

Ford Edge

Don't like Land Rovers

Cheers Paul

We use a Kia Sorento as do many others - 2 of our friends tow with them as well. The auto box is great and takes towing in its stride and is good for towing 2000kg.

Alan

I also tow with a XC60 D5 with the polestar chip, excellent power tows with ease steady on the road, close to the limit though.

See signature.

Ian

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, IanV8 said:

See signature.

Ian

Sounds like a perfect match to me!

See signature. :)

Graeme

10 hours ago, gradyp said:

We have a short list of

Ford Ranger

BMW X5

Ford Edge

Don't like Land Rovers

Cheers Paul

We have the Jeep Grand Cherokee and it is a brilliant tow car.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gradyp said:

We have a short list of

Ford Ranger

BMW X5

Ford Edge

Don't like Land Rovers

Cheers Paul

Probably just an oversight, but the Nissan Navara is not on your short-list.

• Like 1

Have a look at a short wheel base Shogun if you don't want a massive car.  Superb machine for 30k, strong as an ox, surprisingly refined and good for 3000kg tow.

In the recent snow mine came in very handy for recovering X5s and Range Rovers on numerous occasions ;)

The SWB is particularly good because the rear 'overhang' is that much smaller than on longer variants and similar vehicles, i. e. the tow ball is nearer to the rear axle, where you want it.  Very stable.

I don't tow a Buccaneer, but I do tow extremely heavy loads over many miles per year and it never misses a beat.

Don't rule it out until you've checked it out.

I use a Shogun SG3, great towcars but can be a bit thirsty on the fuel.

Sorry not got back sooner but in work today

The Volvo XC90 is a good shout. I think that needs looking at

The reason I mentioned the 2 Ford's was that I can get a discount from my son in law who works for them

Has anyone used a Ranger Wildtrax for towing it seems big heavy and powerful not sure the solo driving during the day as a car and mpg etc

Pity you dont like Land Rovers as I tow Cruiser with Discovery 4 and absolutely excellent.   Do consider the 85% guideline of van to tow car as Buccaneers are up to MTPLM of 2000Kg as mine is rated.   Safety comes first always, particularly with 2000Kg pushing the car!!

Discovery 4 is a vast improvement upon earlier ones and considerably more reliable, at least mine is!

Bazalb

• Like 2

Volvo XC90 T8. Effortless driving and towing though I find it best to retain some battery charge for stop/start motoring and hills. 320hp from the front wheels and 2litre petrol is fine, but the extra 80hp on the rear axle from the electric motor does make a difference when needed. The car's plenty heavy-enough and takes 125kg nose-weight easily, with air suspension. Recharge by plugging-into 'van on site!

Cheers, Andy

Remember the nose weight on the Buccaneers can be 150kg and difficult to get it less than that.

Ian

• Like 1

Also isn't the kerbweight of the Volvo xc90 a bit low as it is under 2000kg plus no spare wheel!

We also need to be mindful when it comes to kerb weights of restrictions on some caravan insurance policies.

Noticed this on my Towergate policy, not that affects me or most of the heavy weight machines mentioned in this thread.

Screenshot_20180329-063651.thumb.png.05a487440c768cddbc310f737539914a.png

Edited by Griff
Better snaphot

Not sure if they can get away with that if the vehicle is legally capable to towing up to 3500kg even if they have it written into the small print.

On 24/03/2018 at 14:46, gradyp said:

Sorry not got back sooner but in work today

The Volvo XC90 is a good shout. I think that needs looking at

The reason I mentioned the 2 Ford's was that I can get a discount from my son in law who works for them

Has anyone used a Ranger Wildtrax for towing it seems big heavy and powerful not sure the solo driving during the day as a car and mpg etc

My son has a new Ranger Wild-track and doesn’t like it one bit. He has a Disco V8 too which keeps breaking down but he loves it - the best car ever if only the damn thing would stop falling apart.

Went to look at the Buccaneer Cruise and eventually ordered a Crusader Storm, pick up June/July , could not see the £5k difference and it is 200kg lighter so can keep current Mercedes E Class, but tomorrow we are going to look at the Ford Edge auto (son in law gets discount).

We looked at the Ranger (a neighbour has one) and wife thought it was to big for her to drive, see what she thinks with the Edge tomorrow. If not we keep the Mecedes

Cheers Paul

Hi I pull a Lunar Delta TI which is around the same weight with a Mercedes ML 350 Auto don't know it's behind you and averages about the low to mid-20s to the gallon

Les

Edited by myone

What about a VW Transporter LWB 204BHP with the DSG 7 Speed box. It'll also swallow everything you would want to take in the back ??

That's what I pull my Elegance 650 with (Just under 2000kgs)

Sorry if I missed it but I'll risk repeating that Buccaneers have a very small payload so your tow vehicle needs to be commodious.

I won't say any more as my allegiances are obvious. :D

Get a good Land Rover and never look back. 32mpg solo and 23 towing our Commodore.

Oh dear, I said a bit more.

Nissan Pathfinder 4300 miles towing the Commodore last year and never missed a beat.   The new Ssang Yong Rexton looks good too.

On 3/29/2018 at 08:06, Durbanite said:

Also isn't the kerbweight of the Volvo xc90 a bit low as it is under 2000kg plus no spare wheel!

Not sure about other variants but the 2018 XC90 T8 (Hybrid) has a kerb weight of 2400kg.

Andy