Sign in to follow this  
hinchy

selling a damp Caravan

Hi all

Looking for some advice from fellow caravnners, I’m looking at selling my caravan and the problem is it has a leak around the front window apart from that the van is in excellent condition. Now do I get it repaired and sell or sell it as it is at a bargain price and let someone else take on the work. The question I’m asking is, would a damp van sell. At the price I am thinking of asking for of even with the repair it still would be a bargain.

Get a quote to repair and then see if the cost of repair gives you a higher price to sell.

"Leak around the window" could mean a little leak just happened or a rotten front frame needs replacing.

If you are an honest man you will get a quote for the repair anyway, either to inform your decision or to  show any prospective buyer.

I have had a quote last year but due to family issues never got round to doing anything and the caravan got put on the back burner.  

As said get a quote for the repair but caravan damp is very hard to quote as until you start to pull the wall boards off you can't see the damage and amount of work involved . Could be window area or could be roof joint over the window or awning rail and tracking behind along the battening .

I had a motorhome that had a drip from a ceiling light and it look like only a minor problem on taking it in for a quote to a company I was told between £5000 to £10000 and they said it would be nearer £10000 . Traded it in with a £7000 loss to save a marriage . The previous owner had the leak for while and had not had it fixed correctly .

Dave

As a rule of thumb, there are more prospective buyers looking for vans that are ready to use than there are for fixer uppers unless you are almost giving it away.

Honesty is the best policy. Agree with Stevan I would repair the wee lad as this will give you a better selling price. Getting into the season and could be a great wee starter van. .. 

I think the answer would depend upon the age, condition and price.

Similar to any sale/purchase !

Agree honesty is best, maybe consider trading in. We had a 10 year old bailey that had “dry rot” according to our dealer but he honoured the phone offer when he saw it. .....was blown if my seat but they marketed it as arriving for £3k more and had a sale agreed before they had it. We even got a better deal on a “previously owned” 2017 model with a motor mover already fitted and it was cheaper and un-used, I think it was a cancelled order. We f lt like all our christmasses had come at once. Oh it also had an extra external locker and external 240 socket and BBQ point. ...... honesty pays in my book 👍

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies I'll get the van service making sure all things work and get an estimate for repairing the leak and take it from there. Hopefully it's not to severe because when I found the leak I bought a cover for the van.  

normally on this site, if a prospective buyer is asking for advice on buying a caravan, they are told to walk away from a damp one unless they intend to do it up and know what they are letting themselves in for.  

• Like 1

And then we hope newbies will read this forum before purchasing a caravan. In case they read  this in the future, avoid  any caravan with any damp. There will be a dry one round the next corner.

• Like 1

if you are happy selling it for a lower price then just get it up for sale as it is. Dont do all the work for everyone else, the buyer will be getting a discount off the normal price so leave it up to them to do all the running around getting it serviced and quotes for the damp repair. Obviously make it obvious it needs the work when selling but getting quotes for the repair and giving this information to the buyer is asking for trouble as if the actual work ends up a lot more than the quotation then you are opening yourself up to aggravation.  I would just say its down to the buyer to inspect then the onus is fully on them.

If it doesn't sell at the price you want then get the work done and sell at full market price.

I still think it comes down to 'value'

If the price was around  £15000 an 'all-good' would be expected,

If it was an oldish caravan around £1500 and 'livable' damp,it may be of interest

to a 'Newbe' , who would be after a 'toe-in-the-water' to last maybe 1 year.

If as such the most loss would be £1500 if they decided caravanning  was not for them!

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 07:13, hinchy said:

Hi all

Looking for some advice from fellow caravnners, I’m looking at selling my caravan and the problem is it has a leak around the front window apart from that the van is in excellent condition. Now do I get it repaired and sell or sell it as it is at a bargain price and let someone else take on the work. The question I’m asking is, would a damp van sell. At the price I am thinking of asking for of even with the repair it still would be a bargain.

We had  leak on our van that was supposedly fixed by our dealer years before, it was only on coming to sell it I realised how extensive the damage was, however, it took a fair bit of hard work to repair but didn't cost that much, wood amounted to about £20, the wallboard was the most expensive item at £80 a sheet. When finished (very professional though I say so myself) we questioned why we were selling it!

Theres an excellent video here:

Edited by StuBob
link not working