New Legislation

william

<_< Dose anyone know if the new legislation that came into force on the 1st Jan 05 which dose not allow anyone to do any mains wiring other than a (qualified electrician) in your home, other than a simple socket or light switch change apply to mains wiring in a caravan or motohome. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

William

Hi William,

Here is a link to the government consultative document,it is long winded as you might expect. I have had a quick skim through it and didn't see caravans mentioned,but I would be surprised if they escaped the legislation. There has been an earlier thread (see post above) where one poster specifically stated that caravans were included.

http://www. odpm. gov. uk/stellent/groups/odp. .._023509-02. hcsp

Enjoy the read. :)

Frank

Hi all,

I'm afraid your correct, the new legislation (called Part P) does prohibit electrical work in caravans and motorhomes, and it forms part of the building regulations.

Basically what it means is, any work more complicated than replacing a socket front or light fitting, requires a test and certificate.

These jobs are even prohibited in certain areas such as swimming pools shower roooms etc.

There's also talk of getting the insurance companies involved i. e. no certificate no insurance and may even mean you have to pay for a test every year.

The general opinion in the industry is that its just revenue based, because it will cost in the region of £500 per year to subscribe to this scheme.

I am an electrcian for a muti million pound food manufacturer, and i work on voltages much higher than that used in the home also in environments where hydrogen gas is used, But i still cant put an extra socket in at home!!?.

Ray.

Hi all,

I'm afraid your correct, the new legislation (called Part P) does prohibit electrical work in caravans and motorhomes, and it forms part of the building regulations.

Basically what it means is, any work more complicated than replacing a socket front or light fitting, requires a test and certificate.

These jobs are even prohibited in certain areas such as swimming pools shower roooms etc.

There's also talk of getting the insurance companies involved i. e. no certificate no insurance and may even mean you have to pay for a test every year.

The general opinion in the industry is that its just revenue based, because it will cost in the region of £500 per year to subscribe to this scheme.

I am an electrcian for a muti million pound food manufacturer, and i work on voltages much higher than that used in the home also in environments where hydrogen gas is used, But i still cant put an extra socket in at home!!?.

Ray.

7328[/snapback]

You can put a socket in in your home as long as it's not in a kitchen or bath/shower room.

If you belong to one of the Competent Person's schemes then you can self certify, otherwise you need to make an application for Building Regulations Approval with your Local council. they will then send out someone to inspect and approve your work.

The legislation does not apply to caravans.

Trust me I am a Building Inspector.

It`s ok bringing in new regulations obviously aimed at "cowboy" electricians but if you have any electrical work done on a property after Jan 1st how can somebody prove otherwise plus until DIY centres and the likes stock items such as comsumer units etc people will still go out and buy them and get joe bloggs to fit em. I`ve recently been working on a large house extention and the owner has chopped and changed where she wanted sockets,light fitting and switches, obviously now your unable to do that as all electrical items will be on the plans but people can`t really get an idea on where they want things until they see them in situe

Is there not also a colour change in the wiring which would tell an inspector when the work was done?

Chris L

Is there not also a colour change in the wiring which would tell an inspector when the work was done?

Chris L

7375[/snapback]

"Electrical installation work commencing after 31 March 2004 may use the new harmonised cable colours or the preexisting colours, but not both. Work commencing on site after 31 March 2006 will be required to comply with the harmonised cable core colours and must not use the old colours"

:D

"Electrical installation work commencing after 31 March 2004 may use the new harmonised cable colours or the preexisting colours, but not both. Work commencing on site after 31 March 2006 will be required to comply with the harmonised cable core colours and must not use the old colours"

7377[/snapback]

coo clever bloke :D:D

I found this quite ominous (Trust me I am a Building Inspector.) I have worked with BI's trust me :rolleyes: i will not sneak up and check when you are not there :D

Chris L

:D

coo clever bloke :D  :D

I found this quite ominous (Trust me I am a Building Inspector.) I have worked with BI's trust me :rolleyes: i will not sneak up and check when you are not there :D

Chris L

7378[/snapback]

I doubt there is a Local authority in england and Wales that would actively seek to prosecute for non compliance with Part P of the Building Regulations, but if there were a successful prosecution the ma xfine imposed could be up to £5000 and £50 per day until the contravention is rectified.

The problem will only come to light if you want to sell and it is picked up in the surveyors report.

You can put a socket in in your home as long as it's not in a kitchen or bath/shower room.

If you belong to one of the Competent Person's schemes then you can self certify, otherwise you need to make an application for Building Regulations Approval with your Local council.   they will then send out someone to inspect and approve your work.

The legislation does not apply to caravans.

Trust me I am a Building Inspector.

7348[/snapback]

Thats the way I was given to understand it also, but theres nothing to stop you getting one of these multi plug extension leads in your kitchen and using that. ... not an ideal situation

Thats the way I was given to understand it also, but theres nothing to stop you getting one of these multi plug extension leads in your kitchen and using that. ... not an ideal situation

7431[/snapback]

Right.

The legislation only applies to buildings, and then only to certain types of work.

Archived