Sign in to follow this  
harvomark

Tapeworm Treatment in France

We are taking our dog to France for the first time in two weeks, we know we have to get the treatment but do you guy's book a vet for the treatment or can you usually just turn up?

We have had to do this in France and in Italy. In both cases we asked at the campsite for a recommendation for a local vet. We went to the vet ahead of time, explained that we needed the worm treatment administered between one and five days of our ferry booking and arranged an convenient appointment. Quick tip: It seems that the closer you are to the ferry port, the higher the cost.

Vets hours vary and vets get called out. Make the phone call and ask.  

As Moorgate says 'it depends'.  Some vets have a 'turn up' open appointments system, others are appointment only.   We've found both - our first visit to a vet near our Frech house was appointment only.   But in the Ardeche we took our cat to a 'turn up', and my son took his dog to the same vet for his worming treatment.   We were both very impressed by his care, thoroughness, and price!   Get a name from your campsite and call in and ask.

I hope I can post this link - Vets in France - all are recommended by other campers and caravanners.

Thanks for the info, map very useful.

We will be looking for a vet in Millau in June so hopefully the map is updated to show some.

2 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

We will be looking for a vet in Millau in June so hopefully the map is updated to show some.

Clinique Veterinaire des Grand Causses,  25a Rue de la Fraternité, 12100 Millau, France, +33 5 65 60 37 00 - best one in Millau.

And the vet no longer has to fill in the "fit to travel" section in the passport(if there is one) . Also I have heard that some people take their own worm treatment for the vet to administer-haven't tried it personally yet!

23 hours ago, ValA said:

Clinique Veterinaire des Grand Causses,  25a Rue de la Fraternité, 12100 Millau, France, +33 5 65 60 37 00 - best one in Millau.

Thanks Val

You can use your own Frontline and Drontal. You can even administer these yourself in front of the Vet, as our dog had to have the drontal in some toffee (its very bitter as I have broken on in half with my teeth)

We take our own Drontal, keep it in the packet as the vet will read it to make sure it is  correct.