Hi

I can imagine this topic has been discussed in full but I'm going to ask anyway. All my pipes under my van are lagged with the grey tube stuff ( sorry I don't know much about it). What is the lowest temperature this stuff will protect pipes from. I've tried googling it but I just keep getting sites telling me what it is.  

Cheers

Jase

It won't stop them freezing but they are designed to prolong the time it takes to freeze.

By design they can't give a specific value as location and exposure will play a big part in their effective use.  

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

Well I've got a deck at front of van and a wooden (skirt I think is the term used) all around the van. Would this give more protection.  

Only from wind not from low tempertures. What thickness of insulation have you got on the incoming water supply for example?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Ah now this is where my lack of knowledge shows lol. I'm not sure. Is it just easier to do a simple drain down if I think there's going to be cold weather. That sounds like common sense to me.  

The drain down is usually an insurance stipulation in the closed down season, and common sense in the open season.

Just relying on insulation is a bad idea.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

Brecon thanks for the advice.   i did know this though as the boiler drain pipes are clearly marked with 'do not drain'.  just another question on this note which may sound a bit silly.   is it worth in the cold months (while still popping every weekend to van) doing a quick draindown of the water taps/pipes and actually removing shower thermo controls to take home during the week to stop them freezing over.   i know they have a flowback or something that traps water in taps.   thanks

Edited by Jammyjase

If you open all the taps, put the shower hose on the floor and leave the darin open then you should be OK.

Are we talking about a touring van or a static - the bloke over the road has been in a static since last June whilst renovating their house and has had his cold feed freeze twice and the drainage pipework burst.  He's also got a wooden skirt all round his van with about 12" of insulation underneath but I dont know how well his pipes are lagged.

It hasnt really been all that cold around here ( -3 ish)but the cold spell has been quite prolonged. We've also had vicious Northeasterly winds that have blown for days which increases the windchill.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

We have a static in the back garden, the pipes are very well lagged, plus I have a skirt around the bottom of the van. But I always drain down the water for winter, leave the taps open etc. but also check the water drain on the gas water heater (if you have one fitted)

Our water heater doesn't drain fully due to the pipe run, I have to open a small brass screw below the heater matrix to fully drain the water from the element, I found this out one year to my cost and had to fit a new water tube element.  

the van i have has a combi boiler in it which has its own frost protection so i can leave that until the end of the season and have it drained down properly (not the heating system part obviously).  thanks for all the advice.   its been really helpful.

• 2 years later...

Hi, the site where we are is staying open this year and therefore it will be lived in throughout the winter. Any suggestions regarding stopping the pipes  freezing would be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks x

You could always look at having heat cable fitted 

its a low heat cable that has a thermostat and comes on when the temperature falls below a certain level, it comes on and warms the pipes stopping them freezing

i have it just on my cold water feed pipe and stop tap but they can fit it to every pipe on your caravan