Sign in to follow this  
Woodentop

Places NOT to visit

Having found out the hard way, for any towing newcomers to the North East you should AVOID Durham and Washington Services on the A1(M). Neither have any specific caravan parking spaces:

Durham has coach spaces but would require reversing to get out and a (relatively) small lorry park which will require reversing either in or out.

Washington has a lorry park but with ended spaces so again it means reversing in or out, and no coach park as such.

That means that the last services on the A1(M) that can accommodate caravans is Wetherby at J46. There is a new off-road service area at J51 to replace the old Leeming Bar services (which still exists) but whether caravans can use it is another thing altogether - but there's lots of lorries! North of Newcastle there are no service areas as such although there are off-road fuel stations but whether they can accommodate caravans is another matter.

I'll be travelling up the A1(M) and A14/M11 a week on Saturday with 13m of car and caravan, are there any services I need to avoid on the way up? I usually fill up at Cambridge when I haven't got the caravan with me but I didn't notice a caravan parking area (I wasn't looking).

I'll fill up in Belgium so I don't think I'll make it all the way to Yorkshire towing 2 tonnes (the Shogun loves Diesel) so I'll need to top up between Peterborough and Grantham.

10 hours ago, Woodentop said:

Having found out the hard way, for any towing newcomers to the North East you should AVOID Durham and Washington Services on the A1(M). Neither have any specific caravan parking spaces:

Durham has coach spaces but would require reversing to get out and a (relatively) small lorry park which will require reversing either in or out.

Washington has a lorry park but with ended spaces so again it means reversing in or out, and no coach park as such.

That means that the last services on the A1(M) that can accommodate caravans is Wetherby at J46. There is a new off-road service area at J51 to replace the old Leeming Bar services (which still exists) but whether caravans can use it is another thing altogether - but there's lots of lorries! North of Newcastle there are no service areas as such although there are off-road fuel stations but whether they can accommodate caravans is another matter.

It's normal that parking for longer units, artics, coaches and caravans requires reversing into - ALL of us should be capable of doing that and not need drive through spaces.

It's often a PCN "offence" to park anything else in a coach space even if the rest is a free-for-all.

Edited by Black Grouse
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Woodentop said:

Durham has coach spaces but would . ...............require reversing either in or out.

My caravan dealer only has "ended" spaces for caravans, does that make it unsuitable for caravans?

Every caravanner should be able to reverse into a bay. Perhaps the B+E test should be compulsory for all caravanners?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevan said:

My caravan dealer only has "ended" spaces for caravans, does that make it unsuitable for caravans?

Every caravanner should be able to reverse into a bay. Perhaps the B+E test should be compulsory for all caravanners?

Should!

Yes, you're correct, they should be able to reverse their caravan as it is easy enough but many can't. It's not just caravanner's though is it, my wife passed her driving test 30 years ago and she still can't reverse park onto our drive (without a caravan), there are many others like her :ph34r:

We've stopped at Durham services (first trip with the new van actually) and the correct place to park is with the lorries.  

Plenty do seem to park in the Coach Only bays though if this pic is anything to go by from Streetview, which are those "drive-in forward, reverse out" type that a lot of services have. These are dead easy to use but annoying when they are angled so that RHD cars can't easily see incoming traffic.

Here's the correct place to park, complete with Eastern Euro truckies doing their thing.

1 hour ago, Black Grouse said:

It's normal that parking for longer units, artics, coaches and caravans requires reversing into - ALL of us should be capable of doing that and not need drive through spaces.

I have never had to reverse in any M/way services i. e. every one I have visited has been drive through but, in any case, who wants to get out of your car in the rain and put that dirty reversing shackle into the draw bar?;)

2 hours ago, svimes said:

We've stopped at Durham services (first trip with the new van actually) and the correct place to park is with the lorries.  

Plenty do seem to park in the Coach Only bays though if this pic is anything to go by from Streetview, which are those "drive-in forward, reverse out" type that a lot of services have. These are dead easy to use but annoying when they are angled so that RHD cars can't easily see incoming traffic.

Here's the correct place to park, complete with Eastern Euro truckies doing their thing.

Much safer and easier to reverse in, drive out, but these are at the wrong angle for that!

1 hour ago, Stevan said:

Much safer and easier to reverse in, drive out, but these are at the wrong angle for that!

I agree, but these type of bays are very common, especially at smaller services . I've had Lady Vimes act as banks-lady before when exiting.  

We stopped at one near Chester, I seem to remember the angles being correct for RHD cars at that one but I could be wrong.

5 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

It's often a PCN "offence" to park anything else in a coach space even if the rest is a free-for-all.

Tebay services  on the M6 heading south allows overnight caravan parking in the big car park on the left up the hill.

However if you are a Blue Badge holder they allow overnight parking in the drive through truck/bus park right beside the services.

Prebooking is a must in the summer and school breaks.

A very useful overnight is Harthill Services on the M8 handy for heading north south and Edinburgh airport.

Note park in the furthest east park unless you want woken by the manager at 3am to make space for a “big heavy” parking overnight is free!!

10 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I'll be travelling up the A1(M) and A14/M11 a week on Saturday with 13m of car and caravan, are there any services I need to avoid on the way up? I usually fill up at Cambridge when I haven't got the caravan with me but I didn't notice a caravan parking area (I wasn't looking).

I'll fill up in Belgium so I don't think I'll make it all the way to Yorkshire towing 2 tonnes (the Shogun loves Diesel) so I'll need to top up between Peterborough and Grantham.

Peterborough services or the Shell just after the A47 should fit the bill.

• Thanks 1

Peterborough service thereare 2 caravan parking bays on the left as you enter the hgv parking. You can then do a u turn in the hgv park when you want to leave.

• Thanks 1

I didn't say anything about the ability of drivers to reverse. What I am talking about is the small spaces involved. At Durham the whole lorry park - which is not indicated for caravan use - is no more than about 100m square which can make reversing tight - and lorry drivers are not patient waiting for caravanners.

Per Cambridge services on the A604 - sorry A14 - the caravan/MH parking is at the far end of the car park but it is necessary to drive through not round the car park. From memory it is signed.

• Thanks 1

On 16/03/2018 at 06:44, Borussia 1900 said:

I've sometimes filled up and taken a rest at Grantham north services, but not in the last few years. The car parking area was large enough and empty enough for me to park in 2 car bays.

Search Google Earth - Grantham North Services and you will see a nearly empty car park with a car/caravan parked as I would.

John.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, John19 said:

I've sometimes filled up and taken a rest at Grantham north services, but not in the last few years. The car parking area was large enough and empty enough for me to park in 2 car bays.

Search Google Earth - Grantham North Services and you will see a nearly empty car park with a car/caravan parked as I would.

John.

You’ll need smelling salts when you see the price of the fuel at these services,plenty of space to park though.  

• Haha 1

Find that there are quite a few service stations that you have to reverse into (or drive forward into, and reverse out).  No problem, and more often than not, have to use the lorry park.   The worst service station for caravans is Stafford (South) on the M6.   Its the longest walk on earth.   The parking for caravans is absolutely brilliant.   But to get to the restaurant/shops, you have to walk through the lorry park (dodging the moving lorries), then the coaches, then the cars, then you get to the buildings.   Never, ever, send kids on their own, most are not road trained, they will get knocked down if you don't have your wits about you, so beware

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 21:48, Woodentop said:

Eat Again----South of Berwick on Tweed.