Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Durbanite

Gold cassoa site concerns

Recommended Posts

Last year in April we moved the caravan to a Gold Cassoa site on a farm not far from us where they also repair damaged caravans.   There was only one compound at the time.   Price was reasonable etc. and we paid for a year in advance.   On more than one occasion in the past year when arriving at the compound the gates were wide open as cars were also stored in the same compound and various drivers had access to the caravan compound to collect and deliver cars.   Access was via gates which had a big combination lock on it.   We complained several times about this to the management, but as usual told they will look into it.

Fast forward to December2017 when we returned with the caravan in tow, we could not access the compound due to damaged caravans in the drive of the compound.    Anyway after phoning them, they came and said because our caravan was away for 2 months they had given our spot to someone else however they had a spot for us in another new compound.   We asked if the new compound was also Gold Cassoa rated and they said yes and said it has CCTV although we could not see any.

As we check on the caravan once every two weeks on a few occasions on arrival the gates were open as people using the storage containers or people delivering cars were in the compound.   They had also moved the cars from the other compound to the new compound.   Anyway at end of Feb we went away with the caravan and on our return our spot had been taken again by someone else.   Luckily we had come back during the week as we would have been stuck if we had come back on a weekend.

As it happened during the past week on 2 different occasions we had to go to the caravan and on both occasions, the gates were wide open.   On Saturday as we were passing we stopped at the storage.   This time the gates were closed, but the combination lock was open.   Anyway did what we wanted to do and then left however on trying to close the lock, it would not close and looked as if it had been forced.   Anyway phoned to report the damaged lock and was told that it had already been reported earlier in the day!

End result was that we found another much safer and secure storage area and moved the caravan there yesterday however the previous storage require a month's notice, but if they think they can squeeze us for the month's rent, they have another think coming!  Supposed to be a GOLD CASSOA site!  Who checks to ensure that the storage site is up to a Gold Standard?

Rant over!  :angry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently Cassoa may only visit a site about every 3 years after the initial assessment, and then only by pre-arrangement.   And some of the initial appraisements are done by a self-assessment process!

So the site owner can do what he wants in the meanwhile. Saying you have lockable gates isn't the same as having the gates locked at all times. Saying you have CCTV is not the same as full-time monitoring of the CCTV.

I think Cassoa is just a money-making business, and their claims about reducing your insurance costs are exaggerated.

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dad showing being a Cassoa Gold storage site, why don't you contact Cassoa HO and put it to them as to what has been happening, we store not on a Cassoa site but we went through a period a few years ago that everytime we were away in the van, when we returned, somebody pinched our spot, I accquired a Traffic Cone, screwed a spare number plate to it and each time we are away we position the Cone where our van hitch would be, since then no prob;ems, give it a try you may be lucky 


Les

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

Dad showing being a Cassoa Gold storage site, why don't you contact Cassoa HO and put it to them as to what has been happening, we store not on a Cassoa site but we went through a period a few years ago that everytime we were away in the van, when we returned, somebody pinched our spot, I accquired a Traffic Cone, screwed a spare number plate to it and each time we are away we position the Cone where our van hitch would be, since then no prob;ems, give it a try you may be lucky 

The new Gold storage site that we are using has the plots numbered and if you occupy someone else's spot, they will physically drag the caravan off even if it has wheel locks fitted.   This is a warning in the contract that you sign.   We have used this site previously and it is very secure as you need a fob to enter.   The fob also identifies the user so if you follow in another vehicle even if you have the fob, it will not let you out again unless you climb over the gate to open it from the other side.   If you leave a gate open, you may get a warning, second time you could be asked to leave the site.   Also in addition to the owner, a warden lives on site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CASSOA do not seem to have an effective compliance process. However, some storage sites live up to the CASSOA standards in full.

At mine, it is only possible to access the site by the operators opening the gates, during shop hours this is done by the shop staff. Out of hours has to be by arrangement with the owners who live on site. Two entrance gates, the first is  heavy bar with substantial locks but kept open during shop hours, the second has electronic locks and opens by remote control.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

our site is accessible  24/7 . It has double gates and a fob has to be used on each one and one has to close before the other opens.    They charge enough mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My son had a van stolen from a gold site and caravan sales and repair shop  3 years ago. Supposedly cctv all the rubbish. but when questioned about the cctv. oh sorry it was only reported yesterday and we dont have any. so i rang cassoa and there where not in the least interested. they claim they only advertised it and it was upto us to make sure thing were as they said they where supposedl to be. Yet again money for old rope. week later the sales and repair shop/storage went into bankruptcy. Amazing.


65 volvo geartronic se nav, 2016 buccaneer cruiser, 2017 buccaneer commadore, 2018 swift kon-tiki 669 auto, 2015 range rover 3. 0 sdv6 autobiography dynamic auto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were are currently stored, I have know the owner for the past 18 years and it is a huge working farm so unlikely they will go down the tubes.   There is CCTV all over the place and it does work with clear images.

I am sure that on this forum I read that CASSOA had been taken over by an American company so probably just dishing out Gold awards on the say so of the owner.   When i notified the insurance Towergate of the change of storage, they really went into detail regarding the security of the site so it seems that they may be wise to Gold standard awards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

......so probably just dishing out Gold awards on the say so of the owner...............

Is this an actual fact, internet gossip or a guess by you? 


Graham

 

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, WispMan said:

Is this an actual fact, internet gossip or a guess by you? 

A guess by me, but it seems quite possible based on our recent experience plus the insurance wanting in detail security measures.   First time we have ever been asked to list the security details by any insurance company.   Maybe Towergate will respond as they frequent this forum? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, WispMan said:

Is this an actual fact, internet gossip or a guess by you? 

Maybe its not just the Gossip,but some saying they are gold cassoa too.

https://www. asa. org. uk/non-compliant/whinrigg-caravan-storage. html

And this is a statement say that ithas cctv and MONITORED entry and exit. obviously not the case in this instance. .

https://www. caravanclub. co. uk/advice-and-training/taking-care-of-your-outfit/storage-facilities/

And this is not the first time either

 


65 volvo geartronic se nav, 2016 buccaneer cruiser, 2017 buccaneer commadore, 2018 swift kon-tiki 669 auto, 2015 range rover 3. 0 sdv6 autobiography dynamic auto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

We were are currently stored, I have know the owner for the past 18 years and it is a huge working farm so unlikely they will go down the tubes.   There is CCTV all over the place and it does work with clear images.

I am sure that on this forum I read that CASSOA had been taken over by an American company so probably just dishing out Gold awards on the say so of the owner.   When i notified the insurance Towergate of the change of storage, they really went into detail regarding the security of the site so it seems that they may be wise to Gold standard awards.

Welcome back Ian. ..I think I am right in saying?  Worth every penny in my view. Not just because its Gold CASSOA (because that only makes a pittance difference to insurance I think) but because it's built like the Magenot Line with high redans and double elctronically controlled gates plus cameras and rising bollards (the latter for out of hours I guess.) Plus the owner/Reichmarshall or warden is always there. They've never lost a van.

I consider myself lucky not to have followed you to the other place. :D


. .....still feel like that some days. :) But not when D4 is hooked up to Commodore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Popped today to the Gold storage site and noticed a new sign by the office, caravans left at the owners own risk etc. Apparent there has always been a sign at the bottom of the site fence, but most people will not see it if they don't go down that part of the site.

 

Anyway we started talking to a newbie their brand new Swift caravan was hit the a small trailer tent park next to them, now the new sign?


2020 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4  PHEV and 2016 Swift Conqueror 480 HT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Oscarmax said:

Popped today to the Gold storage site and noticed a new sign by the office, caravans left at the owners own risk etc. Apparent there has always been a sign at the bottom of the site fence, but most people will not see it if they don't go down that part of the site.

 

Anyway we started talking to a newbie their brand new Swift caravan was hit the a small trailer tent park next to them, now the new sign?

Understandable that the site operators will not take responsibility for other users carelessness. On the site I use it is a condition of use that users have their own insurance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Understandable that the site operators will not take responsibility for other users carelessness. On the site I use it is a condition of use that users have their own insurance.

 

I can understand that however I should have mentioned they are refusing to accept any liability for theft?


2020 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4  PHEV and 2016 Swift Conqueror 480 HT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Oscarmax said:

 

I can understand that however I should have mentioned they are refusing to accept any liability for theft?

Under contract law I am not sure how that works as the contract between the site owner and the consumer is that the consumer has left the goods there for safe keeping and the site owner has a duty of care to make sure that the goods are kept safe?  Maybe legal eagle can advise better as my contract law knowledge is rather rusty after 18 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Under contract law I am not sure how that works as the contract between the site owner and the consumer is that the consumer has left the goods there for safe keeping and the site owner has a duty of care to make sure that the goods are kept safe?  Maybe legal eagle can advise better as my contract law knowledge is rather rusty after 18 years.

 

I would think that their duty of care only extends to  maintaining the standards the prommised and you contracted too.  If you have a theft and can show that their security was lacking, they could be held responcible.  But I think it would be up to your insurance company to chase them.

 

John


Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JCloughie said:

 

I would think that their duty of care only extends to  maintaining the standards the prommised and you contracted too.  If you have a theft and can show that their security was lacking, they could be held responcible.  But I think it would be up to your insurance company to chase them.

 

John

+1, but I am not an expert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Durbanite,

 

We're new to caravanning and due to pick up our new 'van next month and have arranged storage on a working farm half way between malvern & worcester which I believe from another thread on the issue of storage that you may have used in the past. Can I ask whether the issues you had a rant about in your OP in this thread were related to the farm in question. ...I'd be keen to know for obvious reasons!!

Thanks in advance

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/03/2018 at 16:00, Durbanite said:

We were are currently stored, I have know the owner for the past 18 years and it is a huge working farm so unlikely they will go down the tubes.   There is CCTV all over the place and it does work with clear images.

I am sure that on this forum I read that CASSOA had been taken over by an American company so probably just dishing out Gold awards on the say so of the owner.   When i notified the insurance Towergate of the change of storage, they really went into detail regarding the security of the site so it seems that they may be wise to Gold standard awards.

 

hi Durbanite I am currently looking for storage in the Cumbernauld /Airdrie area and would be interested to know the facility you mention, not the whinrigg facility but the facility where you have known the owner 

 

many thanks 

 

Mick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MickG said:

hi Durbanite I am currently looking for storage in the Cumbernauld /Airdrie area and would be interested to know the facility you mention, not the whinrigg facility but the facility where you have known the owner 

many thanks 

Mick

The storage facility is in the West Midlands between Worcester and Malvern and is first class!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/04/2018 at 12:13, Oscarmax said:

Popped today to the Gold storage site and noticed a new sign by the office, caravans left at the owners own risk etc. Apparent there has always been a sign at the bottom of the site fence, but most people will not see it if they don't go down that part of the site.

 

Anyway we started talking to a newbie their brand new Swift caravan was hit the a small trailer tent park next to them, now the new sign?

 

The sign does not make the slightest difference to the site owners liability position in the event of a problem as even if it is in the contract terms it is not enforceable legally. The basic position is that if the site operator is negligent then he is liable, if he is not negligent then he is not liable.

In the case of damage to a caravan quoted he was never going to be liable. The operator who failed to keep the site secure would almost certainly be regarded as negligent if a theft occurred although if you put up with this for a long period of time you might be regarded as accepting this and be at least regarded as partially to blame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

 

The sign does not make the slightest difference to the site owners liability position in the event of a problem as even if it is in the contract terms it is not enforceable legally. The basic position is that if the site operator is negligent then he is liable, if he is not negligent then he is not liable.

In the case of damage to a caravan quoted he was never going to be liable. The operator who failed to keep the site secure would almost certainly be regarded as negligent if a theft occurred although if you put up with this for a long period of time you might be regarded as accepting this and be at least regarded as partially to blame.

If a site had achieved CASSOA standards, and the standard had been maintained, it would be very difficult to prove that they had been negligent even if thefts occurred. They would only be negligent if they failed to take "reasonable" security measures, and even CASSOA bronze can be claimed to be "reasonable" if the measures are actually in place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless the site has in some way failed to maintain the security then it is unlikely to be liable for a theft. Whatever level of security it has at the time you sign up should be maintained, but you would normally be deemed to have accepted that by viewing the site and then placing your caravan there. It would normally be too late to say what you saw was not good enough after the loss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...