Up or Down? That is the question?

Problem I had is the spring / return of the blinds – they wouldn’t move up under their own weight when we first used the new van.   So I returned to the dealer who “tightened” all the blinds so they worked…… fast forward 6 months in storage, blinds down – well guess what.   They didn’t return again under their own weight… (not happy – thinking another return trip to dealer that doesn’t give a monkeys).

Just had my van serviced, and during the conversation I mentioned the window blinds seemed to be poor quality these days.   No surprise the van makers pressure the suppliers to produce cheaper items and this is the net return.

Anyway I left the blinds up over night and this morning they seemed OK…….

Interestingly, the service guy said not to put the blinds down when it’s in storage?  I have always had them down for security reasons, not wanting the interior to get bleached in the sun etc……. wondered if anyone else had the same experience up or down in storage?

Bailey 560-5 dragged with a Hyundai Santa Fe

My local dealer 'told me off' for leaving them down, apparently it weakens the springs and they should be left up when not in use (for sleeping).

Bleached in the sun??? In the UK :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Borussia 1900

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

Never have left mine down.

• Like 1

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

In our previous van the upholstery was ruined by the UVs & IR's so started to leave the blinds down, but had the same issue of the blinds not returning .   In the end I made card templates that fit on the inside of the window apertures that face into the sun and sprayed the outer facing side with a silver rattle can; job done.

On our new van the blinds pull up, so out of season we keep them closed, up to now no issues.      

You should leave a gap to allow the heat to escape otherwise the windows can distort.

There should be a sticker on the windows showing this.

I have pulled the back rest down and upside down on the front seats for years to stop the bleaching

Edited by ian16527

My clever wife made some temporary, storage curtains from old bedsheets which she pegs up to keep the upholstery out of the sunlight.  So, we are able to leave the roller blinds up.  

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

14 minutes ago, Leedslad said:

My clever wife made some temporary, storage curtains from old bedsheets which she pegs up to keep the upholstery out of the sunlight.  So, we are able to leave the roller blinds up.  

John.

I do much the same except that I cover the upholstery with loose blankets, but the effect is basically the same.

There's even a sticker on the windows that was applied by the manufacturer to remind one not to leave the blinds down due to possible heat build up between the blinds and the window in hot weather and this may cause thermal damage.

Edited by Lutz

Wish peeps would use open/closed rather than up/down - my last van was all up for closed and this one is front windows down and others up for closed!!

I always have mine closed with a gap - never a problem.

• Like 1

Sam :beardy:

Range Rover Sport - Auto Sleepers Kensington

Have always kept mine up.   Don't know why people say its to keep it secure by keeping the blinds down.   If they are up, anybody can see in, whereas if they are down, you can sit in the caravan, and no one would know there's anyone inside

For probably first time I agree with poster above!

geoff

• Haha 1

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I just leave the blinds up, but close the curtains when not using the caravan.

A straightforward easy solution.  

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden

Maybe we should be saying "blinds open or blinds closed". Depends on the cassette type I guess? Our motorhome ones when up are closed and on the caravan, "up" is open.

• Like 1

2019 Adria Adora Thames

I have seen real damage due to the sun and bleaching, not just to the upholstery but also the woodwork.   For this reason we have always closed the blinds, even roller blinds.   I know that salesmen have always said no NO due to spring weakening but that has never ever been a problem.   Even if it was, rather that than the damage.

However I do accept the overheating of the windows argument.   But there have been times when its been very hot (not often), and to keep the van cool we have closed the blinds when we have gone out.   But we do try to leave the windows on the catch.

Now, with friction blinds, there is no longer any issues at all.   Simple close them 90% and bring the fly screen to meet.

Advantages:

• Privacy
  • No overheating of windows
  • No overheating in van
  • No sun damage.
  • No brainer.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

Interesting - I had the blinds closed for . .... well the 7 years we had the last Van and had no issues.   I looked around while I was there and notived noone else had them up - all closed off as well.   The sun shouldn't reach the back or slides TBH as there are other vans and a fence.   For the front window - I will consider a cardboard alterntive - like that idea. .....

Bailey 560-5 dragged with a Hyundai Santa Fe

Blinds closed,thats what they are for, to be closed,if not why have them fitted, if they are not meant to be used

• Like 2

2013 Bailey Unicorn Cadiz  pulled by a Landrover Freelander 2 / VW Passat Estate 2.0 Blue Motion

5 minutes ago, w44nty said:

Blinds closed,thats what they are for, to be closed,if not why have them fitted, if they are not meant to be used

They are meant to be used, at night when you go to sleep, they will fail if left down in storage as the return springs weaken

• Like 1

When you say up do you mean unpleated and down all scrunched up/unpleated?

We had a problem with one of ours not wanting to return to there folded stated. so a trip to dealer for repair. they said that blinds should be left in the folded position when not in use. I. e so you can see thru the window. They said thats due to the silver backing, it reflects the heat back to the window and can possibly distort the window. as some have previously said. So i asked him to have a look at the blinds from the outside. There is No silver on our blind with the exception of the stargazer above the front of van. HHHmmmm was the reply. so i said that i leave them unpleated for sun and security reasons.(so u cannot see thru the window).Fair comment was the reply and he changed the blinds

65 volvo geartronic se nav, 2016 buccaneer cruiser, 2017 buccaneer commadore, 2018 swift kon-tiki 669 auto, 2015 range rover 3. 0 sdv6 autobiography dynamic auto

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

They are meant to be used, at night when you go to sleep, they will fail if left down in storage as the return springs weaken

• Apart from ‘what salesmen say’, where is the evidence?  Those reporting on here have not had an issue.
  • Most, if not all blinds fitted for 5 plus years have been friction blinds.

For me the answer is simple, 90% closed 10% for ventilation using fly screen, if I remember, that is what is indicated on the window sticker of my van,  Let the blinds do the job they are there for.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

Leave them up, and the caravan cover sorts out any other problems.

Mitsubishi ASX4

Interests, none worth mentioning. Just plain boring most of the time, and very boring the rest.

2 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Never had a blind fail in over 25 years,

Edited by w44nty

2013 Bailey Unicorn Cadiz  pulled by a Landrover Freelander 2 / VW Passat Estate 2.0 Blue Motion

1 hour ago, JCloughie said:
  • Apart from ‘what salesmen say’, where is the evidence?  Those reporting on here have not had an issue.
  • Most, if not all blinds fitted for 5 plus years have been friction blinds.

For me the answer is simple, 90% closed 10% for ventilation using fly screen, if I remember, that is what is indicated on the window sticker of my van,  Let the blinds do the job they are there for.

John

It wasn't a salesman it was the service manager, I have no reason to doubt her, if mine breaks its more money in her pocket when I have to buy a new one. I forgot to ask her for evidence :)

1 hour ago, w44nty said:

Never had a blind fail in over 25 years,

Neither have I and probably never will now that I leave them up

Take a coil or spiral spring, extend it to its maximum tension, hold it there for 6 months and repeat that for a few years and I'm willing to bet that it will weaken (lose it's springyness, is that even a word??)

Edited by Borussia 1900

Usually dealers charge for adjusting blinds as it your fault by leaving them down has caused the issue .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

We always leave ours open as they are the spring loaded pull-down type.   On our old van (it was 15 years old) some of the tension had gone, though we did re-tension them ourselves.

We don't have temporary curtains or bits of cardboard to faff with (I think we would just use the actual caravan curtains). We do have throws on the seats though.

When it gets really hot at night we don't use the blinds, just the curtains as you get a better airflow.

If we had the type you pull up, I think I would be less concerned as they don't seem as "springy".  Owners of budget or German vans might not have seen this type though.

Mine pull up and the fly screens pull down to lock together. ................or it might be the other way round, I can't remember.