Hi all

Newby to the site, would like  recommendations for an inflatable awning to fit Bailey senator Indiana 2005 please.  Needs to be put up single handedly.  Not sure whether to go for porch or larger if the effort to erect is much the same.  Needs to be able to handle strong coastal winds, but majority of time will only be weekend use save for a few longer periods over summer.  

All advice gratefully received.  

I was only remarking to Mrs SDA the other day that I'd noticed that whilst the industry is still lauding air awnings and they have been a next big thing for a couple of years, I've noticed that quite a few CT members who've bought them are gradually going back to traditional awnings. That's not to say they're bad, but they aren't a panacea and can be a pain. They'll suit some but not others.

Thanks SDA, that's good to hear! . .. I was worried about becoming the aged one on the field, not keeping up with the 'neighbours'.   I have an Isabella full awning but too much to handle for one, and strangely a lightweight porch fiberglass poled thing that's been fantastic, but took a battering one weekend end of last year and rubber fixings for pegs has perished somewhat,  so thought perhaps time for a change rather than repair ?

Air awnings are good in strong winds because the collapse and then spring back.

Air awnings are one heavy piece, because the tubes are built in, unlike poles which are separate to the cover.

I like and use a Sunncamp Ultima Air 390 with annex. Don't know whether the 260 would be a better fit for you, but it is lighter.  

Are any Awnings really worth having only having seen hundreds advertised over the years none have ever been used more than 2-3times!!!

4 minutes ago, chad said:

Are any Awnings really worth having only having seen hundreds advertised over the years none have ever been used more than 2-3times!!!

I have lost count of how many times ours has been used. I would not want to swap back.

11 hours ago, gwhizz said:

Thanks SDA, that's good to hear! . .. I was worried about becoming the aged one on the field, not keeping up with the 'neighbours'.   I have an Isabella full awning but too much to handle for one, and strangely a lightweight porch fiberglass poled thing that's been fantastic, but took a battering one weekend end of last year and rubber fixings for pegs has perished somewhat,  so thought perhaps time for a change rather than repair ?

If I were in the market for a small porch, I would go for an air type.   Less weight to pull through the rail and the speed advantages of air.    The issue I still have with air awnings is that the ones I have (and had) are made of material more suspect to condensation than, say, Isabellas.

I bought a lightweight one with separate tubes, what a faff blowing them up individually and it had to have a dozen straps to hold it in place, give me a traditional awning any day, so we popped off to a awning showroom to see what they would give us, or give us an idea of what it was worth to sell it. ................... and there we saw a Ventura air.
The  Ventura Pascal seamed to be in  a different league to all the other awnings in the showroom.  We were so impressed that we bought it and we like it, easy to put up and only needs blowing up from one point, once up its very sturdy.

I would recommend that you check out a selection of awnings at a showroom and make your own mind up :) 

Heres a youtube video

We have a Kampa Rally Air Pro 390 - love it after several outings and wouldn't go back to a poled awning.  Although it is quite heavy, we keep the awning rail clean and lightly silicon sprayed and use a dog lead in the provided eyelet to draw the awning along the rail.

The only snag we have encountered is water pooling on the roof during a particularly heavy downpour but by leaning against the corner air pole on the affected side, the water ran off ok.  Condensation hasn't proved to be a problem but we do ventilate well by leaving the top of the unused door unzipped and folded back to create a vent and we use a roof liner.

This awning has replaced both, our small Dorema porch and a much larger Dorema Omega.

I have never used an air awning but have felt the weight of one feeding through the awning rail,heavy.

I have often wondered why Isabella have never gone down the air route,I know their Ventura arm has one or two air ones but never the parent firm.

I once asked them and they said they had no intention of having an air range,makes you wonder why.

Ian

In our first year of caravanning (2015), we had a full conventional awning and didn't get along with it at all, as we toured a lot and it was very 'rattley' in moderate to high winds. For 2016 to date we've used a Kampa Ace Air 400. Okay, the air awning is heavy, but with the rail on the van sprayed with WD40 or suchlike, and a guy rope to help pull it along, it can be easily erected and razed solo. We do get quite a bit of condensation, which I can't remember the conventional awning suffering from, but I would not go back to the plethora of poles and springs.

I have read a lot of tales of people suffering punctures and other similar failures. I inflate our awning to just 6psi, which is just over half the recommended pressure of (I believe) 10psi, as that has been adequate in some quite strong winds and low temperatures (-5C) a week ago.

When looking at any porch-type awning I suggest you look to see where the end walls are going to be placed against your van. By sheer luck, my '400' awning's 'front' end wall lays between the rear of the front side window and the door latch, and the 'rear' end wall lays just behind the rear side window. Therefore, all doors, hatches and windows can be opened and closed without being blocked.

Edited by Despicable
replaced 'with' with 'without'

44 minutes ago, Paul_B said:

Well in that video they cut the part I struggle with and that is putting the awning into the rail and pulling it along completely, so I wanted to see him do it on its own and that was cut.

As people say here these types are heavier I think the struggle will be greater.

Can see no struggle with light weight poles but seems a lot of pumping.   I have Bradcot light weight easy but not what I would say light and easy.

This was covered in detail some time ago, but the main points are:

1, they are heavier as everything is in one piece, so make sure you can manage

2, they are quicker to put up & more resilient to wind

3, buy quality or end up disapointed, but to keep! The most prolific make does not mean it's any good, just cheap!

4, make sure a pressure safety valve is fitted or expect possible bursts due to temperature rises

For me g for an Isabella Magnum Coal, brilliany quality and will last you years  and years

On 05/03/2018 at 11:35, Les Medes said:

For me g for an Isabella Magnum Coal, brilliany quality and will last you years  and years

And dead easy to put up on your own.

On 3/4/2018 at 21:40, gwhizz said:

Hi all

Newby to the site, would like  recommendations for an inflatable awning to fit Bailey senator Indiana 2005 please.  Needs to be put up single handedly.  Not sure whether to go for porch or larger if the effort to erect is much the same.  Needs to be able to handle strong coastal winds, but majority of time will only be weekend use save for a few longer periods over summer.  

All advice gratefully received.  

I inherited a Pyramid poled awning with my van. Whilst perfectly adequate the poles were a pain & the whole putting up was an ordeal.

On the advice of a seasoned camper who had a Vango Air tent, I went for the Vango Varkala II, which is a Varkala III this year. I'm very happy with it. It's not a single inflation point but you only need about 10 squirts on the pump for each beam, it also has bracing beams which go between each rib for stability, you also get 2 poles to hold it rigid against the van. I decided to sacrifice a window opening to have the 420 width on mine.

The kit comes with everything you'll need including the pump & a rubber mallet for the pegs.