House Insurance

Forester72

What experience do members have of obtaining house insurance for periods of longer than 60 days when holidaying abroad for extended periods.

60 days appears to be the maximum period which underwriters will cover without ramping up the fees to ridiculous levels.

Any advice appreciated.

Brian.  

When  we were spending our winters in Spain - usually 16 to 18 weeks there where always conditions ie security, heating drained or set at 10deg, and regular inspection visits by someone. Eventually they issued new standard policy conditions restricting the empty house period to 60 days and when I told them this was an unacceptable change, they said ok but you must comply with the conditions of the old policy. I found that surprising and agreed. They said that for a new policy holder they would not offer the same concession.

Ern

Camping & caravan Club insurance will go up to 180 days unoccupied with 'reasonable' conditions.  

14 hours ago, SKH said:

Camping & caravan Club insurance will go up to 180 days unoccupied with 'reasonable' conditions.  

Thanks for that pointer. I then looked at the CMC website and found that they do cover up to 90 days. I will get quotes after the weekend.

• Thanks 1

CmC will do more than 90days too, ' with reasonable conditions'

Lunar Clubman SB 2013 following a Hyundai Tucson MHEV 4x4 2 ltr 185 hp Premium SE (2019)

10 hours ago, Millstone said:

CmC will do more than 90days too, ' with reasonable conditions'

A couple of years ago when I noticed that cover on my renewal of the C&MC policy was limited to 90 days I rang them and queried it.    I told them that they also sold me a travel policy which was for 120 days (Red Pennant) so if I was to be limited to 90 days on the house policy, I would have to change insurers.     They agreed that the house policy could be extended by turning off the water and having periodic visits by a family member.   

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

13 hours ago, Jaydug said:

A couple of years ago when I noticed that cover on my renewal of the C&MC policy was limited to 90 days I rang them and queried it.    I told them that they also sold me a travel policy which was for 120 days (Red Pennant) so if I was to be limited to 90 days on the house policy, I would have to change insurers.     They agreed that the house policy could be extended by turning off the water and having periodic visits by a family member.   

That's basically what the ' reasonable conditions' are, though you do have to ask.

Lunar Clubman SB 2013 following a Hyundai Tucson MHEV 4x4 2 ltr 185 hp Premium SE (2019)