Sign in to follow this  
Judges

Gas Consumption

Just purchased a new Willerby Skye - and Joined this forum.

HELLO to all.

My question is in relation to gas consumption for heating purposes.

38 X 12 2 bedroom Willerby.

What could I estimate / expect for (a) Summer (b) winter, gas consumption for heating.

Answers, per week or per weekend are acceptable :-)

I appreciate weather plays a part in that determination.

regards

6 hours ago, Judges said:

Just purchased a new Willerby Skye - and Joined this forum.

HELLO to all.

My question is in relation to gas consumption for heating purposes.

38 X 12 2 bedroom Willerby.

What could I estimate / expect for (a) Summer (b) winter, gas consumption for heating.

Answers, per week or per weekend are acceptable :-)

I appreciate weather plays a part in that determination.

regards

That’s almost impossible to answer here. As you have already said outside temperature will play a major part along with how warm you want it to be inside, if you leave it running 24/7,  etc. You might be better talking to owners of similar vans on the site to find out what they’ve actually used over the last 12 months.

that said I would expect the insulation to be really good, the construction to be draft proof and the double glazing very efficient. The gas consumption should be minimal, if it’s bottled gas a lot more expensive than mains gas but still not excessive due to the efficiency of the insulation.

Hi and welcome.

Wow, you really like to open with a killer question so I will try my best to answer.

Now if you fill your car with fuel then get the bus, your fuel will last a lot longer than if you used the car. If you use the car everyday then you will need to fill it up more often.

Heating a caravan is just the same.

• Like 2

And presumably the insulation level will have improved over the years, so a new van will be better than an old one.

You could do a theoretical assessment of how much energy would be used with software similar to that used by EPC assessors on property. That uses the cubic area of the building allied to the type of construction, insulation, type of heating etc to come up with an annual estimated consumption that is relatively accurate. However in a static it also depends on whether it's always occupied, left drained down for the  winter or background heated only whilst not occupied, so the heat demand can vary substantially.

Unless it's occupied full  time the heating cost could be as long as a piece of string.

There is a scientific formula for calculating this, but first, do you like it warm, hot or just with the chill taken off?

Russ

Be fair guys.  New member and all that. Answer is simple

take the number of days use. Times it by how often SWMBO complains of the cold.  Divide it by how often she complains it’s too hot.  Take the whole and drink a bottle of red wine or two.  Write the answer in a piece of paper and tear it up.  Then ask him next door.  

• Haha 3

We have a 2011 36' x 12' ABI Vista Platinum in the back garden, it has occasional use all year round by the out laws and friends, but instead of trying to calculate gas consumption it's probably better to make sure it's as insulated as possible to reduce heat loss.

The underside of the van is already insulated but the the insulation was only 20mm thick, we fitted an extra layer of Celotex (50mm thick) very easy to cut and fit (just make sure you don't cover any drop vents) and set the water pipes between the insulation layers to prevent freezing. Then made a skirt from box profile sheets to go around the base of the van with a hinged access door for underfloor maintenance, this was to stop underfloor draughts.  This made a big difference to heat loss and makes it habitable in the winter months, plus the reduced gas consumption.  

We used our static about 40 weekends plus the occasional week stay, our piped gas bills were around £150 per year.

Our friends on site got a bill of £800 for a quarter but they were there almost full time.

Too many variables to give a sensible answer.

i purchased a new willerby mistral last may (2017) and have used it every weekend and every school holiday over the past few months apart from nov 1st to mar 9th when site was closed.   i have used the heating, oven etc as and when needed without compromising comfort and i am half way through my 2nd gas bottle.   my boiler is a ariston but i don't know if that's more or less efficient than others.   i think that is an acceptable amount of gas considering how much i have used the van.

I have a 38x12 Pemberton (2008) which is used from April to Oct  most weekends and about 3 full weeks in the summer, I have never used more than 3 X 47 Kgs bottles in a season (current cost £65/bottle), however it had an electric fire (2KW  in the lounge area, so if yours has a gas fire in the lounge area this will obviously change things a bit. I switch off the radiators in the bedrooms until about an hour or so before going to bed ( depending how cold it is). I found gas bottles better than being on mains gas from the site as bottles were purchased as needed from the site and delivered to the van thus no unexpected bill for gas, also no standing charge for the meter. However speaking to other owwners who used the van well into the winter (ours is a 10 month site) they could use a 47 kg bottle per week,. Hope this helps

ABI Vista platinum 2011 manual which is not double glazed do the windows condensate a lot in winter and does the gas fire heater adequately because of the big open space from the front of the caravan to the bedrooms thanks

Posted (edited)

Whilst on the same site & in similar ‘vans with similar usage of ‘vans over the same period our neighbours used three times as many 47kg bottles as us. So whilst I’d love to give you realistic answers to your question I cannot. 

It’s one of those “piece of string” questions and it’s your “ piece of string “ and only you can measure it I’m afraid.

Edited by DaveE1
Spelling correction