Fordsabroad

sites near (ish) Corfe castle

Can anyone recommend a site near Corfe Castle. The Caravan club site does not get very good reviews. It would need to have good access for a TA caravan, good for dog walking. Facilities are not that important as I can be self sufficient for a few days. Don't mind if its a large site or a cl/cs.  

I have done a search and there are plenty of options but you can't beat personal recommendation.

There are a few sites on the road between Bere Regis and Wareham, in the Wareham Forest. Great dog walking country. We stayed at Wareham Forest Tourist Park which is large and well-run, so long as you don't mind thick gravel everywhere - it's quite hard to pull your aquaroll and wastemaster through.   There's a pub within walking distance.

59 minutes ago, Fordsabroad said:

Can anyone recommend a site near Corfe Castle. The Caravan club site does not get very good reviews. It would need to have good access for a TA caravan, good for dog walking. Facilities are not that important as I can be self sufficient for a few days. Don't mind if its a large site or a cl/cs.  

I have done a search and there are plenty of options but you can't beat personal recommendation.

In reference to your comment on the CC site reviews which  do you mean: Hunters Moon or Haycraft or Smedmore (Kimmeridge) ? We always stay at Smedmore but it has basic facilities  ( no toilet block) and the access is not everyone's cup of tea. It is however an idyllic setting.

Haycraft CMC site reviews look OK to me.  Smedmore is OK if the weather is good. Would not want to be there if it was wet.

C&CC site at Corfe Castle is OKish.  Sloping,  gravel roadways, approach road full of potholes when we went but that was about three years ago.  

Haycraft is a nice site, and has sea views from the top of the site. There's a good dog walk, plus a footpath opposite leading to Corfe Castle. And access is good.

John

Haycraft is nice if you can get onto the top pitches, not a very wide access road but plenty of large vans were there on our visit, lovely to see the steam train from the site. We caught the train from Harmans cross, near the site, to visit Corfe castle, lovely train ride.  

Getting a decent length "slot" has  for a worthwhile stay been the only issue with Haycraft we have; walking opportunities are second to none IMO.

As said the upper pitches, which are out of the hedge shade and giving much better views are the ones to aim for. The physical access is narrow but the views are long  and the  total restricted distance quite short.  

There is a commercial site at Norden Farm Corfe though I have never used it. I have a 5 van C&CC site 31 Furzebrook Road [BH20 5AU] that is "okay"; good walking off site but remote.

Hunters Moon I would not recommend because of its "neighbours"; opposite  is Birchwood  which is okay in the quiet season, as is Wareham Forset, but all are quite remote and excluding walking/cycling doing everything is a car job.

Primrose Hill CL just up the hill from Haycraft, also small licensed site across the road, can't remember its name

C&CC site at Moreton nr Wareham was OK, although that was a few years ago. Pub with (then) good food within staggering distance of the site entrance. Reasonable access if you are not James May (remember the Top Gear caravaning episode?)  

6 minutes ago, MalH said:

Primrose Hill CL just up the hill from Haycraft, also small licensed site across the road, can't remember its name

Downshay Farm Camping. Great on terraced pitches, but another that is incredibly popular so a challenge getting a decent slot.

http://www. downshayfarm. co. uk/

+1

Downshay Farm is charming, been twice in the last 2 years. However, we went after 1st  September, as the camping fields are closed on 31st August. As others say, v good walking in the area!

9 hours ago, Fenester said:

In reference to your comment on the CC site reviews which  do you mean: Hunters Moon or Haycraft or Smedmore (Kimmeridge) ? We always stay at Smedmore but it has basic facilities  ( no toilet block) and the access is not everyone's cup of tea. It is however an idyllic setting.

Actually the site is Corfe Castle which is a camping and caravan club site.

9 hours ago, Cheltenham Caravanner said:

Haycraft CMC site reviews look OK to me.  Smedmore is OK if the weather is good. Would not want to be there if it was wet.

C&CC site at Corfe Castle is OKish.  Sloping,  gravel roadways, approach road full of potholes when we went but that was about three years ago.  

Corfe Castle is the one I read about that said the access is really bad and with a TA van I don't fancy that. My hobby is photography and I want to be near Corfe castle to be able to get there for sunrise, so the closer the better. I will have my dog with me hence it would also  need to be good for dog walks.

Edited by Fordsabroad
text added

8 hours ago, JTQ said:

Downshay Farm Camping. Great on terraced pitches, but another that is incredibly popular so a challenge getting a decent slot.

Looks perfect - thank you.

On 01/03/2018 at 14:02, JTQ said:

This looks a good site but the webpage throws doubt on the acceptability of large vans. As mine is a TA at 8mtrs long I gave them a call. They said they were happy to accept it if i was happy towing along the narrow access roads. Has anyone stayed at this site, if so are the roads difficult to navigate with a large unit?

I stayed at the C&CC site at Corfe Castle last August.    It's near enough to the castle to walk.    The lane from the road into the site is a  single dirt road but taking it easy is fine and it's straight enough to see when it's clear to drive down.      The pitches are of adequate size.   

P1000811.JPG.63de80fb2f86621df2dd2c5bc9bb239a.JPG

View of the Castle.    If you're wondering where all the visitors are - I was first through the barrier.

P1000888.JPG.305c913959479fde272bcfa24fc23b2a.JPG

To see more piccys and places to visit in the locality, see my blog here

Edited by Jaydug

30 minutes ago, Fordsabroad said:

This looks a good site but the webpage throws doubt on the acceptability of large vans. As mine is a TA at 8mtrs long I gave them a call. They said they were happy to accept it if i was happy towing along the narrow access roads. Has anyone stayed at this site, if so are the roads difficult to navigate with a large unit?

Well, not really, remember the CMC's Haycraft uses the very same road, plus a bit more, up from the main road [A351] at Harman's cross.

That is the only "tight" bit, it is less than a km  overall, with only half that single lane, plus almost throughout you have a long clear view.

That of course does not stop the determined solo idiot to come on in the other direction before they twig it is them that need getting out of the way.

In no way would I be put off using either site by a few minutes of difficulty; mine is a Disco 4 towing an 8 m LOA Hymer, so not easy to "lose".

Look at it yourself by "driving" up it using Google street view; insert these coordinates to start at the railway bridge     50°37'11. 1"N 2°01'28. 2"W

What I would plan is not to go in before noon when the CMC is vacating, as meeting another unit is the biggest issue, though as both can see each other over most of the length both would need to be brain dead not to use the few passable spots.

Up to the Harmans Cross turn the roads are no issue at all, IMO.