Can't drain water heater.

Help please. Tried to drain water heater today (Bailey Ranger), I have set taps open and raised yellow drain down lever as per instructions but not even a trickle from below. Fearing heater may already be frozen I connected water pump and tested by opening hot tap, all ok! I know tank is full of water, I have wiggled and operated drain tap but to no avail. I am thinking that I will have to remove drain tap for closer inspection but I will then face the task of collecting 10 litres of water from the end of removed pipe! Any ideas?

Some thoughts:

I've just emptied a plastic sink basin that was full of water. The top inch was a frozen disc, it had been in the sheltered shade all day. So there's the possibility that something has frozen and blocked the outlet, though if you've been running the boiler and it's warm nothing in its area should freeze because of the warmth it radiates.

The yellow drain levers can go 'over centre' so that they just miss the point at which they open. Have another try and don't push on past the point where the 'feeling' changes.

I guess it's theoretically possible that the water will remain in the system if there's not another opening somewhere to let in air to effectively 'push' the water out. So opening a tap whilst the drain cock is open should allow that to happen. 

HTH

• Like 1

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

I wouldn't worry that the cold has affected it, I have not yet managed to drain mine down either!

I had no trouble doing so with the Orion, but the Pursuit with its Truma Combi just doesn't do it.   I'm not overly worried, as it is in use throughout the year and the heating is left on 5°, so no chance of it freezing.

Of course I'm carting a full tank around when travelling, but I don't have to fill it up on arrival, so swings and roundabouts!  It also helps give a bit of nose weight.

• Like 1

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

There is a device on the market that allows you to pressurise the system via the water pump inlet that will blow all water out of your taps and boiler. It is very effective, I know because I used mine yesterday as a precaution, and was very surprised to blow out 3 pints of water. Unfortunately I have lost the packaging  and for the life of me cannot remembered the name . ..but I am sure someone on this site will know.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, barrychas said:

There is a device on the market that allows you to pressurise the system via the water pump inlet that will blow all water out of your taps and boiler. It is very effective, I know because I used mine yesterday as a precaution, and was very surprised to blow out 3 pints of water. Unfortunately I have lost the packaging  and for the life of me cannot remembered the name . ..but I am sure someone on this site will know.

Floe.

http://www. keepfloeing. com/

Ian

It's one thing blowing the bits left out of nooks and crannies, but it's another thing entirely not being able to drain the boiler and associated pipework. I suppose you could at least run the pump and lose as much as possible through the taps before the suction 'collapses'. That might leave enough to blow out, but it seems to me that the drain cock isn't letting anything out at all. Trouble is these next few nights are going to be well below zero, typical tap and boiler splitting weather.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Is the van at home or where you can warm the  van for a few hours. Maybe if it frozen it may thaw it enough. or a hot towel/hot water bottle around the pipe and tap.

Im not being funny but this should be emptied before leaving site if towing. as if in front of van will help with nose weights too. Some of these tanks can hold over 10kg of water.

Edited by smino0_1
  • Like 1

65 volvo geartronic se nav, 2016 buccaneer cruiser, 2017 buccaneer commadore, 2018 swift kon-tiki 669 auto, 2015 range rover 3. 0 sdv6 autobiography dynamic auto

If it is at home leave it hooked up, heating on low and worry about it when the weather warms would be my choice.

• Like 1

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES