Very Slow draining sink

We have a 2017 Unicorn Córdoba does anyone else have a problem with a slow draining sink.  Makes no difference whether it goes to a container or straight to the drain.

Have you tried adjusting the levelling of the van to help the waste to flow downwards. Have a shufti under the van to make sure that there are no dips or obstructions in the waste pipe under the van and that the waste doesn't actually slope upwards in places especially if it's been shifted to avoid something like a motor mover.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

We have looked underneath but can't see any obvious problem, when the ground is a bit warmer we will look again!  as far as the levelling goes we tried that too but it makes no difference.  

Sure you haven't had a mouse crawl up? Seriously,  we had once but I didn't tell SWMBO!

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Try half a cup of soda crystals down each sink. Block the outlet pipe then  pour warm water in to each sink until it backs up .

Leave the soda mix for a while to work.

Put a bucket under the outflow then unblock the outflow to see if any dirt comes from the waste pipe into the bucket?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. Internet connected via 3 dongle Windows 7. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine.

LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,.Reich Move Control. Safefill Fitted. ,CT. Ninja (Hon) Flies the flag. Tyron Bands

Not Much Money but we do see life. Motto . Carpe Diem .

Try a hose pipe backwards,you will soon see if there is any gunge in the system as it will pop up in the sinks.

geoff

Good idea, but be careful, a fountain of grease and gunge inside the van is not likely to improve you popularity with the other half:unsure:.

I use LHD's method and it's surprisng how much crud comes out. Mr Muscle sink unbloker can also be used but it's more expensive. I'm assuming that it was OK once and just got worse.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

We carry one of these in the 'van. Just the job and very cheap. Easily blows rice and sundry gunge out of pipes.

Just half fill the sink and go for it!

https://www. screwfix. com/p/sink-bath-unblocker/13894 

5 minutes ago, staffordshirechina said:

We carry one of these in the 'van. Just the job and very cheap. Easily blows rice and sundry gunge out of pipes.

Just half fill the sink and go for it!

https://www. screwfix. com/p/sink-bath-unblocker/13894 

The only problem with that piece of equipment is that it is likely to blow the waste pipe off the sink connection. ............and the resulting mess in the cupboards.

• Like 1

Most connections are just pushed together so pressurising the waste plumbing may have unfortunate consequences as Brecon suggests.

8 minutes ago, Brecon said:

The only problem with that piece of equipment is that it is likely to blow the waste pipe off the sink connection. ............and the resulting mess in the cupboards.

I haven't managed to do that yet but you don't have to go mad when pumping. It tends to force itself off the plug hole if you get too carried away. We have been using it for some years now without a problem.

Our sinks drained away very slowly and also glugged. So i came up with this breather system which has solved the problem and the water now drains away nice and smooth 

A100C6F5-42B8-43BD-BD5B-1DCC288CD2A3.jpeg

Edited by Dirty Trucker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If suggestions so far don't help:-

Sometimes it's simply the pipe run that's too horizontal or just too tight to the underside of the 'van .   This slows the flow and sediments etc build up.

You might have to consider adjusting the incline of the pipe by releasing the fixing screws and adding spacers along the route to the outlet (s) on the side of the 'van.

In extreme cases you might have to drop the outlet points.

Our Lunar sink is the same, very slow!   The dealer has given it a look and thinks the waste pipe is routed behind the oven housing then outside so unless we want half the kitchen taken apart, (not at present!)  we might just live with it for now.

Our Lunar had a problem and it was because the waste pipe looped downwards where it came out of the van through the floor. It was then clamped underneath the floor as it ran to the outlet on the offside. Effectively a downward loop followed by a horizontal stretch at a slightly higher plane. Not a good way to try and dispose of water.

Clipping the pipe more closely to the floor where it emerges might reduce the downward loop but tightens the 90 degree bend which might create other potential issues.

It's a problem that afflicts lots of vans with kitchens on the opposite side to the waste outlet. An offside kitchen tends to have an easier waste pipe run and not have as many such issues.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Our waste outlet is on the SAME side as our kitchen (offside).  We will have a better look ourselves in warmer weather! 

It's also been known to find that the wastepipe has been twisted when fitted, which creates a partial blockage . In such cases the twisted portion of the pipe may not be visible if it disappears behind an appliance.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

I have always found that prevention is better than cure when dealing with what goes down the plughole.

Both at home, where I do not have a dishwasher, and away in the caravan I try to avoid putting any food waste or residue in the sink to be flushed into any disposal system. Even when using an on site dish washing facility I prepare the dishes by removing tea leaves, coffee grounds and especially oil and fat.

I take with me the lined waste food caddy from home for all food residues and dispose of the contents in the roadside collection bin when I return home. I also take with me the waste cooking oil bottle from home to avoid a fatberg in the caravan's plumbing.

Edited by DeeTee
added a final sentence.

CJ1149 is correct.

The drain pipes on our Lunar were all clipped to the floor, so ran horizontally, then down to pass through a hole in the chassis, then back UP again to the connectors on the side of the caravan.  I imagine this is common with all caravans.

I added spacers between the pipes and the underside of the floor to give all the pipe runs a slight fall and straightened the run from the hole through the chassis to the connectors.

Everything now drain away much better.

My Lunar and one of the Swifts had the over pipe configuration too. ...found that it collected rice. ..so hosepipe each way to keep it clean.

geoff

My previous owner obviously experienced this as along with re siting the outlet from the rear of the van to the side, he fitted it with smooth pipework rather than the convoluted pipes used on some vans.

The outlet also runs on a downhill manner therefore draining better.

2017 Mercedes Benz 220 CLS  AMG design Shooting Brake.