I'm wanting to fit a set of mud flaps to my 2017 Compass Casita.  The amount of mud/spray/debris etc that is battering the underside of the van and the equipment located there is just ridiculous.  I can't understand why mud flaps are not fitted as standard.

I've had a search in the usual places and also spoken to the dealer but I'm not aware of a bespoke kit that is available.  Has anybody fitted and can recommend a good quality universal kit that would do the job please?

Thanks in advance.

The standard mudflaps fitted to Lunars are simple car aftermarket screwed to a 25x25 mm batten screwed to the floor.

The big "rally" flaps and a batten wold do the job well.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Thanks for your reply.  

Yes, I think that's exactly what I'm going to do, will order some tough rubber mud flaps.  I have some 5mm thick aluminium angle which I will fasten them to and then mount beneath the floor.

Cheers

same on our buccs. just a square peice of rubber screwed to a batten and to the floor. but no good if your mtormover is fitted to the rear.

65 volvo geartronic se nav, 2016 buccaneer cruiser, 2017 buccaneer commadore, 2018 swift kon-tiki 669 auto, 2015 range rover 3. 0 sdv6 autobiography dynamic auto

16 minutes ago, smino0_1 said:

same on our buccs. just a square peice of rubber screwed to a batten and to the floor. but no good if your mtormover is fitted to the rear.

They removed the mudflaps on our new Lunar so the motormover could be fitted. ....Oh the joys of a caravan eh :blink:

Be careful! If ever you need to reverse up a kerb flaps can get torn off doing real damage to the floor.

Our Bailey came with mud flaps fitted!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

1 minute ago, PR1 said:

Our Bailey came with mud flaps fitted!

Ditto Swift. With a logo too!

Oh wonder of wonders!

1 hour ago, charlieboy2608 said:

They removed the mudflaps on our new Lunar so the motormover could be fitted. ....Oh the joys of a caravan eh :blink:

I had to remove my Lunar mudflaps to allow fitment of the Kojak brackets - must get round to refitting them.

1 hour ago, charlieboy2608 said:

+1  We wanted mover fitted in front of axle but dealer could not manage to fit it there because we have an Al-Ko Delta axle (said the bend in the axle made it impossible? Not convinced) so removed our mud flaps to fit mover.  What joy.

Michael

Had mudflaps retro fitted to my previous and current Swifts by my dealer, Swift supply them, worth checking if Elddis/Compass do.

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

33 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

I had to remove my Lunar mudflaps to allow fitment of the Kojak brackets - must get round to refitting them.

Slightly off the OP's topic (as these threads always seem to get :ph34r:) but you mentioned kojak brackets.

Where are the holes pressed out on an ALKO twin axle chassis to fit this bracket please?

Just to confirm I have the ALKO scissor type hydraulic jack with the appropriate brackets to suit.

Edited by charlieboy2608
1 minute ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Slightly off the OP's topic (as these threads always seem to get :ph34r:) but you mentioned kojak brackets.

Where are the holes pressed out on an ALKO twin axle chassis to fit this bracket please?

Not sure on a twin axle - but on a single axle the Kojak brackets just use the holes the Alko brackets use if fitted - behind the axle on a single.

32 minutes ago, MHE said:

+1  We wanted mover fitted in front of axle but dealer could not manage to fit it there because we have an Al-Ko Delta axle (said the bend in the axle made it impossible? Not convinced) so removed our mud flaps to fit mover.  What joy.

Michael

We also wanted a single mover fitted to the leading axle on our Lunar twin but dealers said there was 'stuff' in the way-so ended up fitting it behind the trailing axle.

Guess it helps with the nose wait slightly :blink:

1 minute ago, Black Grouse said:

Not sure on a twin axle - but on a single axle the Kojak brackets just use the holes the Alko brackets use if fitted - behind the axle on a single.

Yes I found them on our single axle Bailey but nothing lines up on our twin. ...guess I can always drill holes in the chassis to suit-appreciate I might be invalidating the warranty before somebody says it ;). ......

I can never understand why we stopped side wheel covers to caravans from the 50s which would stop spray and would be easier for the awning skirt as the wheel would be covered . Surely cars and cars would be more aero dynamic and save fuel ?

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

8 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

I can never understand why we stopped side wheel covers to caravans from the 50s which would stop spray and would be easier for the awning skirt as the wheel would be covered . Surely cars and cars would be more aero dynamic and save fuel ?

Dave

Same reason the aerodynamic side panels were removed from A4 Gresley streamlined locomotives - they have to be taken off/on often for maintenance purposes - and in the case of cars would impact on brake cooling.

just to add

65 volvo geartronic se nav, 2016 buccaneer cruiser, 2017 buccaneer commadore, 2018 swift kon-tiki 669 auto, 2015 range rover 3. 0 sdv6 autobiography dynamic auto

You could fit spray suppression flaps like on hgv,s . Hgv direct sell them, trailer flaps different sizes, can be cut to suit your needs.  

9 minutes ago, Odd days said:

You could fit spray suppression flaps like on hgv,s . Hgv direct sell them, trailer flaps different sizes, can be cut to suit your needs.  

Door mats that look like grass can also be cut down and used.

If you do not like the flap with the little plastic bristles, they do one with grooves in to channel the water down.  

Theres plenty of mud flaps for motorhomes,, just saying ;)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

11 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

Same reason the aerodynamic side panels were removed from A4 Gresley streamlined locomotives - they have to be taken off/on often for maintenance purposes - and in the case of cars would impact on brake cooling.

I can imagine that could be a problem for caravans, too. When negotiating a particularly long Alpine descent a couple of years ago the brakes on the caravan got so hot that the plastic wheel covers had melted by the time we reached the bottom.