Sign in to follow this  
swaggy

12v TV

For a few years now, we have been using a  cheap 16" Currys TV in the van.   It worked off 12 v and was fine until I made a schoolboy error and managed to burn it out.    So in the market for a replacement  22" unit which also must  work off 12v.  

There are some makes which highlight 12v input for vans etc and others which are mains powered  but via a 240/12v adapter which you can then cut off for permanent 12v operation.   (This is how the Currys set worked for years)

I've read up on  Avtex which are a bit out of my price range and Cello which have a number of negative reviews for poor sound and limited viewing angle, although this is  no doubt subjective .   Difficult to tell if other makes work via an adapter or direct mains without seeing them.   Been into Currys and other High  St retailers but smallest size is now 24-32 inches, nothing smaller. .

What make/model do you all use and can anyone recommend a 22" unit with a decent viewing angle and sound.    Then need to find a retailer.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by swaggy

You could also consider using a computer monitor with a smart TV dongle plugged into the HDMI input.  

We bought a 24in from PC World last year for about £120. It has a lead with the 12V adapter but we use it on 240V. One of the last to include  a DVD player.

We use a Cello 24” (refuse to pay silly prices for tv in caravan), which can run from mains with provided mains cord with 12v output, or direct by 12v power cord.

Never had problem with angle of vision, but sound is a bit tinny, so we correct that by utilising the vans radio speakers, hard wired through headphone socket to aux input  on radio.

Edited by hp100425ev
  • Like 1

Aldi have a 24" 12 volt one at £135 coming this Sunday 25th of Feb.  

1 hour ago, frazerg said:

Aldi have a 24" 12 volt one at £135 coming this Sunday 25th of Feb.  

Thanks. I'll check it out at our local Aldi.

You could use a 500 w pure sine wave inverter to step up the 12 v to 240v so you can use any TV . I use a 32 inch Smart LED TV  that is 30w 240v so on 12 v is about 3A load .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

2 hours ago, swaggy said:

For a few years now, we have been using a  cheap 16" Currys TV in the van.   It worked off 12 v and was fine until I made a schoolboy error and managed to burn it out.    So in the market for a replacement  22" unit which also must  work off 12v.  

There are some makes which highlight 12v input for vans etc and others which are mains powered  but via a 240/12v adapter which you can then cut off for permanent 12v operation.   (This is how the Currys set worked for years)

I've read up on  Avtex which are a bit out of my price range and Cello which have a number of negative reviews for poor sound and limited viewing angle, although this is  no doubt subjective .   Difficult to tell if other makes work via an adapter or direct mains without seeing them.   Been into Currys and other High  St retailers but smallest size is now 24-32 inches, nothing smaller. .

What make/model do you all use and can anyone recommend a 22" unit with a decent viewing angle and sound.    Then need to find a retailer.

Thanks for any help.

The Cello indeed has poor sound similar to the Avtex, however the Avtex picture is far superior to any other 12v TV on the market.   We bought from ACDCTV and you can negotiate with them.   Both Avtex and ACDCTC have excellent after sales service if anything goes wrong.

Cello for me. 22 inch with built in DVD and Satellite receiver! Absolutely no problems with it and I have had it for nearly 5 years. Viewing angle OK and you can adjust the sound to suit, or buy a cheap bar speaker, if you must.

IMHO, just very good value for money!:)

Question as the answer is not stated: does the OP EVER use the caravan off grid or is it just a very long protection project? If mains is always available then a Samsung UE22K5000 should be available in Argos at £139. It may have been that they did not have any in stock when the OP visited although I note their website is now quoting £154 (reduced from £169) but they do (supposedly) price match locally. It has a full HD screen and a full HD tuner. Operating power consumption is 22W which makes it even easier for a PSW inverter!

Edited by Woodentop

I decided to upgrade from my 19" Cello traveller tv last year.

I wouldn't pay Avtex prices,  particularly with their difficult to set up satellite part of the TV.

I went for the Visionplus 21. 5" 12V set, complete with Freeview HD, Free-to-Air HD satellite and DVD.

The picture is, subjectively,  as good as the Avtex with much wider viewing angle than the old Cello and much brighter making it easier to watch in bright daylight (had to adjust it down a it to stop it searing my retinas).

The sound is again, a bit thin and tinny, although it will go much louder than the Cello.

Having said that, one of my friends bought an Avtex around the same time, and that doezn6sound that much better,  I think it's the price you pay for having such a thin cabinet.  

As others have stated, for good sound, jut run the sound through your radio speakers. Just plug in a (probably 3mm) stereo jack into the headphone outlet of the TV and the other end into your AUX socket of the radio. Obviously, the radio has to be switched on.

To answer points raised.  

Yes we do go off grid, hence 12v is the default option.   I have an inverter but its a cheapie and not too efficient so a bit heavy on the battery.  

Yes we could plug into the radio speakers-if we had a radio. We use the radio stations on the TV usually.  

All these new TVs have terrible sound unless you stand at the back of them.   We have two Logictec speakers plugged directly into the audio out on the Sky box so cannot control the sound remotely.   On the Avtex we have found that if the speakers are plugged into the earphone socket the sound seems to flat line at about halfway and will not go louder.   I would like to do away with the separate speakers and have just a sound bar but no small ones available.   Bose used to do one that would have been ideal but it has been discontinued and replaced with a box.

You can buy a Bluetooth sound sender which plugs into the headphone socket. The sender has to be recharged when it’s not in use which is a bit of a spoiler but otherwise they work ok. The TV sound is automatically muted. Use your Bose speaker to get great sound located where it suites you. A benefit for your neighbours is that you need less sound as the speaker can be located close to where you sit.

The radio in the caravan has a Bluetooth function and wondering if it can be used through the radio?

5 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

The radio in the caravan has a Bluetooth function and wondering if it can be used through the radio?

I don’t know what Bluetooth radios do. I don’t think they receive Bluetooth do they?

Using Bluetooth for tv audio typically leads to lip sync issues (unless using ultra low lag bluetooth but then getting pricey as you and a transmitter and receiver supporting the same protocol) so IMHO should be avoided and stick with hard wired such as the 3. 5mm headphone out on the TV (no all new TV's have headphone sockets though so do check) to the radio to use the caravans speakers or use a small sound bar or stereo speaker with 3. 5mm input which are easy enough to find.

We use a Bose soundlink mini but connect via 3. 5mm rather than Bluetooth, I prefer this as it seems the TV is talking to you if you have the speaker under the tv whereas using the caravan speakers seems a bit detached to me.

7 minutes ago, dazza76 said:

Using Bluetooth for tv audio typically leads to lip sync issues (unless using ultra low lag bluetooth but then getting pricey as you and a transmitter and receiver supporting the same protocol) so IMHO should be avoided and stick with hard wired such as the 3. 5mm headphone out on the TV (no all new TV's have headphone sockets though so do check) to the radio to use the caravans speakers or use a small sound bar or stereo speaker with 3. 5mm input which are easy enough to find.

We use a Bose soundlink mini but connect via 3. 5mm rather than Bluetooth, I prefer this as it seems the TV is talking to you if you have the speaker under the tv whereas using the caravan speakers seems a bit detached to me.

I agree that there is a slight sync problem however we have found it acceptable and prefer to use a wireless system which permits the speaker to be located in just the right place for me with impaired hearing, and wife who has normal hearing.  As for caravan speakers in the roof or wall cupboards, they can be heard too easily outside in my opinion, and most of them are poor quality sound compared to the Bose.

3 hours ago, dazza76 said:

Question.   When the Soundlink is connected to the earphone socket on an Avtex, is there any effect on the volume?  Not that we we want it overly loud but clear enough to hear the voices on the TV as some TV programs for some reasons can have low volume no matter how high you turn up the additional speakers.   Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Question.   When the Soundlink is connected to the earphone socket on an Avtex, is there any effect on the volume?  Not that we we want it overly loud but clear enough to hear the voices on the TV as some TV programs for some reasons can have low volume no matter how high you turn up the additional speakers.   Thanks.

We use it on a Samsung tv but I guess the same answer applies. We set the volume on the soundlink about half way and then up and down the volume on the TV using the TV remote which controls the level of the output to the headphone socket and therefore the volume increases/decreases on the soundlink. If I want it louder still I can up the volume on the soundlink directly.

16 minutes ago, dazza76 said:

We use it on a Samsung tv but I guess the same answer applies. We set the volume on the soundlink about half way and then up and down the volume on the TV using the TV remote which controls the level of the output to the headphone socket and therefore the volume increases/decreases on the soundlink. If I want it louder still I can up the volume on the soundlink directly.

Thanks.   I have been humming and hawing about buying a Soundlink ii for awhile, but the price has bene putting me off.   The other one that I came across is the Anker Soundcore available on Amazon at £30 however I need something with crisp sound.

20 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

IIRC the Avtex returns to a preset low volume when it's switched off/on, you need to toggle the volume on the remote for it to jump back to the previous level, bit of a pain TBH.

We've also got ours hooked up to the van's radio aux, works well and doesn't have to be loud as the speakers are right behind where we sit.   

Just come across this which is the new Avtex soundbar.   See Avtex SB195BT TV Soundbar & Bluetooth Speaker System

However no reviews and the only source is Capital Outdoors at £149. I can buy the Bose Soundlink ii for the same price.

Just come across this which is the new Avtex soundbar.   See Avtex SB195BT TV Soundbar & Bluetooth Speaker System

However no reviews and the only source is Capital Outdoors at £149. I can buy the Bose Soundlink ii for the same price.

Good spot, but the question that springs to my lips is, instead of manufacturers bringing out endless newer, slimmer, wider TVs every year, why can't they understand that sound quality is at least as important as picture quality? The latest skinny but wide TV with lovely looking edge-to-edge viewing is no use at all if all you can hear is an incoherent mumble!

• Like 2