Sign in to follow this  
Tortuga

Bailey 540/6 Small cracks/water ingress

Hi, we are seriously considering buying a Bailey 540/6. It has always been serviced regularly, but the last service found a patch of the caravan having water ingress, I believe on the front left side at the front. There are several small cracks around the caravan, but are these problems easily fixed? Many thanks for any advice.  

If there are cracks in the front fairing, this can be a very expensive repair needing a whole new front. Some people have had these fairings successfully repaired but personally I would probably look for another van.

Beware as I know of one that had the same problem at both front and rear and the owner didn't find out how bad the damage was until he traded it in.

Where are you buying from, a dealer?

If this is a Bailey Ranger, they are well known for problems with the front, rear and sometimes the roof sections.

My mate had all three, and I had rear panel problem.

The only effective repair is replacement of panels concerned. Fortunately ours were replaced by Bailey under warranty.

STEP AWAY FROM THE VAN. ....... I had a Ranger 560/6 2007 which developed these cracks and cost a fortune to repair and still didn't keep out the damp. Inherent fault from new with the fixing of the awning rail with out pilot holes for the screws so stresses cracked the caravan sides which can lead to water ingress. Wish I'd read forums like this before buying. Got rid now thank god. ......please heed warnings

Edited by fpepper
Spelling correction

On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:27, Tortuga said:

Hi, we are seriously considering buying a Bailey 540/6. It has always been serviced regularly, but the last service found a patch of the caravan having water ingress, I believe on the front left side at the front. There are several small cracks around the caravan, but are these problems easily fixed? Many thanks for any advice.  

Walk Away !!!

As has been said, Bailey vans have known issues with cracked front and back panels and leaking roof straps.

Whilst the damp area may seem small,it will not be and the only time you will find out is when the area is stripped, then your big problems arise.