Sign in to follow this  
Signmaker

Series 3 Pamplona Heating saga

Following my visit to Alde where from start to finish to customer service was first rate, take note Bailey, nothing was to much trouble, they inspected our 12 month old series 3 pamplona to confirm the heating was working to is optimum and then carried out a tests to record the temp difference between the lounge and bath/bedroom areas. Using a calibrated thermometer they recorded a difference of 6 degrees C between lounge/bathroom and 6. 5 degrees C between lounge/bedroom, quite a difference but within the Class III criteria that states that the 4 corners of the van have to be within 7 degrees C of the centre of the van. The criteria then states that bathroom/washroom areas are not included in this test, which given that the bathroom spans the centre of the van makes you wonder how the official results were arrived at. Alde then gave us a written report that noted their findings and recommendations to rectify the problem i. e. fitting a panel radiator in bath room area and better input and output radiator vents in the bedroom.

Armed with this report the next day we took it back to the dealer who had spoken to Bailey who refused to do anything as in their opinion the van was within spec, the dealer would not agree to fit the radiator due I expect to the cost of not only the radiator but also the fluid, however they did agree in the spirit of goodwill they would see if they could improve matters by modifying the input and output vents in the bathroom/bedroom.

On arrival they showed us a selection of vents and once we had agreed which looked the best  they carried out the mods while the van was being serviced. Once the mods had been completed they suggested we took the van back home and carry out our own heating test to see what improvements if any would had been achieved.   Once the van was back on the drive we started the test by setting the Alde panel offset by -3. 5 degrees so the displayed temp on the panel was the same as the two digital thermometers we were using in the Bath/Bedrooms. We then set the temp on the Alde Panel to 22 degrees and left the van with all doors shut for 2 hours.

On going back in the lounge area was at 22 degrees the bathroom at 18. 7 (difference of 3. 5 degrees) and the bedroom at 20. 5 (difference of 1. 5 degrees). Although the bathroom is still not as good as we believe it should be it is much improved on the results recorded by Alde before the mods were carried out, the original temp differences they recorded being 6 degrees between the lounge/bathroom and 6. 5 degrees between lounge/ bedroom. The temp in the bathroom can be further improved by leaving the doors between the bathroom and bedroom open, the temp in the two tends to equalize at around 20. 1 degrees. All in all a great improvement and although in order to bring the bathroom to the same level  Alde recommend the fitting of a panel radiator it shows what can be achieved  for relatively little effort & goodwill on the dealers part if only Bailey had shown a little interest all the frustration and ill feeling could have been avoided, as it is however after their total lack of interest and after 3 unicorns it is unlikely that our next or any future vans will be a Bailey.

20180218_113649.jpg

Bathroom mods

20180218_113558.jpg

Hi where did you purchase the vents I have same problem bailey don't want to know

I notice on my new U4 the heating pipes fun in fluted aluminium boxes along the floor to wall. It is noticeably faster to warm up than my old U2.

I have exactly the same problem with our 2017 U3 Pamplona and planned to modify it in exactly this way.  I’ve spent hours going through the Prima website trying to find suitable grilles without success. These look perfect, would be very grateful for the part numbers, they don’t appear to be used anywhere else on the Pamplona.

My other project is to correct Baileys design error with the fridge housing. Using a standard 600mm deep housing has resulted in the gap between the back of the fridge and the caravan wall being 28mm greater than Dometic’s specification in their installation manual. No wonder the fridge doesn’t perform satisfactorily. We had exactly the same design problem with our U3 Vigo but its taken a while for me to realise what was going on.

Buying from a dealer 250 miles away and keeping the van in a store 22 miles from home doesn’t help when trying to understand and resolve these sorts of issues.  Lesson learned!

DrBob

• Like 1

Dr Bob

I have exactly the same problem with our 2017 U3 Pamplona and planned to modify it in exactly this way.  I’ve spent hours going through the Prima website trying to find suitable grilles without success. These look perfect, would be very grateful for the part numbers, they don’t appear to be used anywhere else on the Pamplona.

Sorry Bob I am unable to give you any part numbers for the vents as the dealer who did the mod supplied them once we had agreed to the vent size, but I believe he said they are Bailey motorhome spares.

Although this mod improved matters it did not completly solve the problem so we dug our heels in and eventually the dealer agreed to fit a panel rad in the bathroom which changed the whole feeling in the van making it nice and toastie.

You undoubtedly have a good dealer who values the customers!