Hitch lock while towing

27 minutes ago, Chalky9 said:

You're all quoting instances of caravans being stolen, NOT contents being taken from caravans, which was the subject of my question.  

How would a hitchlock prevent contents being stolen?  Am I missing something?

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

2 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

I always fit the AL-KO hitch lock for travelling, years ago I asked a friend who is a fireman and his advice was to do what I was comfortable with from a security aspect, his take was that unless both car and caravan are upright on even ground, the tension on the hitch would make a normal disconnect impossible, and in the event of an incident they can quickly separate a car from the caravan with their kit in less time than it would take to find the key and remove the lock.

Regardless of the pressure on the hitch the two will need disconnecting & any hitch lock will need removing first,

it really wouldn't take less time for the fire service to agree on a method, unpack equipment, connect up equipment, PPE on etc etc than to  "find the key & remove the lock"

you are also naively assuming they will even in attendance in the first place!

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

Doubtless an excellent bit of kit, but at ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY QUID it needs to be!! 

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

I go first while OH walks the dogs. On my return OH goes so no need to fit any hitchlock.   BTW when the caravan is connected to the car electrically you cannot arm the alarm or tracker.

On some cars, electrically disconnecting the caravan while the car alarm is set, triggers the car alarm - the Keen alarm can be set whether the caravan is electrically connected or not, in which case disconnection while alarmed would trigger the caravan alarm as well.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

1 hour ago, towman said:

Regardless of the pressure on the hitch the two will need disconnecting & any hitch lock will need removing first,

it really wouldn't take less time for the fire service to agree on a method, unpack equipment, connect up equipment, PPE on etc etc than to  "find the key & remove the lock"

you are also naively assuming they will even in attendance in the first place!

I agree with your point one, but how would you suggest they are separated if the hitch is under load with or without a lock being fitted, we all know how difficult it can be to unhitch if the coupling is not relaxed when disconnecting under normal circumstances.

On your point two if the hitch is under load that cannot be relaxed, using their kit would be the only option.

On your point three if the car and caravan are in a position whereby they can't be separated using normal means then of course they are going to be in attendance, so nothing naive about it.

29 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

On some cars, electrically disconnecting the caravan while the car alarm is set, triggers the car alarm - the Keen alarm can be set whether the caravan is electrically connected or not, in which case disconnection while alarmed would trigger the caravan alarm as well.

Unfortunately I think you may be mistaken as when the car was connected to the caravan, if you set the alarm, it would trigger.   This used to happen with our Delta TI caravan which had the Keen alarm system.

1 hour ago, Grandpa Steve said:

I agree with your point one, but how would you suggest they are separated if the hitch is under load with or without a lock being fitted, we all know how difficult it can be to unhitch if the coupling is not relaxed when disconnecting under normal circumstances.

On your point two if the hitch is under load that cannot be relaxed, using their kit would be the only option.

On your point three if the car and caravan are in a position whereby they can't be separated using normal means then of course they are going to be in attendance, so nothing naive about it.

My usual method is a crane (Hiab type) to relive the pressure but I've never found it too much of a issue once the caravan is the right way up, only once have we had to use a petrol disc cutter to cut a very twisted swan neck tow ball that wouldn't let go,

The contracted recovery operator is tasked with the recovery & the buck stops with them, apart from being a laughing stock with my colleagues having to call the fire service to do my job I dont think the Police, Highways or Fire service would be very happy, 

8 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Alko make one that fits their hitch, when attached it allows the brakes to function.

If you are looking for something to use on a small gardening type trailer then I think you might struggle! Probably your only option is to change the actual hitch itself to one that has an integral lock as all the “other” type of locks can only be fitted when the trailer ISNT attached.

Andy

No, some firm makes independent locks. I tried to buy one off Gumtree a while back but was too late. Stupidly, I didn't note the makers name.

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Unfortunately I think you may be mistaken as when the car was connected to the caravan, if you set the alarm, it would trigger.   This used to happen with our Delta TI caravan which had the Keen alarm system.

I'm not mistaken about my own car-caravan combination. The VW Touareg factory-fit towing electrics will trigger the car alarm if the trailer is unplugged while the car alarm is set - and equally the Keen alarm will trigger if the trailer is unplugged while the caravan alarm is set - guess how I know!

Edited by Black Grouse

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

4 hours ago, MalH said:

How would a hitchlock prevent contents being stolen? 

It wouldn't. Someone posted that they wouldn't leave their 'van unattended at a services because of the risk of someone breaking into it and stealing their valuables. I wanted to know what the likelihood was of that happening, and so far people have just quoted instances of 'vans being taken, in which case a hitchlock might have been of use.

Suffolk Coast, Bailey U3 Vigo, Hyundai Tucson Premium SE 2. 0

29 minutes ago, towman said:

My usual method is a crane (Hiab type) to relive the pressure but I've never found it too much of a issue once the caravan is the right way up, only once have we had to use a petrol disc cutter to cut a very twisted swan neck tow ball that wouldn't let go,

The contracted recovery operator is tasked with the recovery & the buck stops with them, apart from being a laughing stock with my colleagues having to call the fire service to do my job I don't think the Police, Highways or Fire service would be very happy, 

As the security of the caravan is my responsibility and travelling with the hitch lock fitted is not illegal, I am happy for them to be unhappy.

Can I add, there is no point using a hitch lock and locking it to a flange towbar.

thats the towball held on by two bolts.

they will simply unbold the ball, bolt on their vehicle and worry about the lock later.  

But that takes the one thing theives are ALWAYS short of. ....

Time!

Andy

Don't think it's great practice to keep the hitchlock on in case the emergency services need to separate the vehicles.

Having said that I think a sharp hit with a club hammer is all that's required to release a hitchlock. On a scale of 1 to 10 for security it doesn't score.

:excl::excl::excl:    Spanish Trip 2020 - :excl::excl::excl: - Time to bailout...

Subscribe to our Blog at the website below and read the diaries of many of our expeditions.

Caravan Ramblings blog

6 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

I'm not mistaken about my own car-caravan combination. The VW Touareg factory-fit towing electrics will trigger the car alarm if the trailer is unplugged while the car alarm is set - and equally the Keen alarm will trigger if the trailer is unplugged while the caravan alarm is set - guess how I know!

VW Passat alarm does the same.  Once or twice I’ve unplugged the ‘van electrics without unlocking the car and set the car alarm off.

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

15 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

But that takes the one thing theives are ALWAYS short of. ....

Time!

Andy

You reckon with a battery impact wrench? 10 seconds a bolt max

20 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

I have not tried it on our current caravan.   Maybe it is a 50/50 with different car/ caravan combinations?

Edited by Durbanite

41 minutes ago, Metheone said:

You reckon with a battery impact wrench? 10 seconds a bolt max

You will never stop the professional thief, they are too well prepared. It’s the casual thief you need to guard against.

I hadn’t thought about flange fittings, I have a swan neck so it simply didn’t occur to me.  

Andy

On 18/02/2018 at 11:28, Lutz said:

Blimey, what part of the world do you live in?I don't even possess a hitchlock and I've had all my caravans stored where I live without any form of lock for the past 30 years without any feeling of unease. Caravan thefts are almost unheard of here.

I agree Lutz, no need here but when I travel to the UK I've got an AL-KO hitch lock fitted all the time so nobody nicks my pride and joy at the services and I bought a wheel clamp from Towsure in Sheffield (Purpleline Nemisis), I never bother with either outside of the UK.

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

7 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

You will never stop the professional thief, they are too well prepared. It’s the casual thief you need to guard against.

I hadn’t thought about flange fittings, I have a swan neck so it simply didn’t occur to me.  

Andy

Yep, a little more secure with a swan neck.

Although, people with Land Rover and detachable bars. Please don't leave you tow bar in the vehicle as the tow bar itself is a item prone to theft as is the spare wheel. Leaving it in can also weaken the fitting and Land Rover now recommend removing it.