Sign in to follow this  
Scutters

Kia Sportage 1. 7 Diesel 114bhp

Hi.   I'm after some advice.   I'm about to renew my company car - the list has come out and the choice is limited.   One possible is the Kia Sportage 3 - plenty of spec but not much oomph under the bonnet.   The choice is limited to the 1. 7 Diesel, putting out 114 bhp and 240 Nm of torque.   The brochure says the max braked towing weight is 1400kg.   Our van, a Lunar Quasar 525 has a net weight of 1050kg and MTPLM of 1400kg.   

Is this a bit too close for comfort?  Will this model of Kia be up to the job of towing?   Or should I go for the Kia Optima Sportwagon which has a max towing capacity of 1800kg?

Any advice would be welcome.   

Maximum trainweight and towing allowance is when a vehicle is tested and are based on the vehicle being able to pull away on a 12% slope .

I like to work on 75% of the towing allowance so have some spare to play with . Many hills here in the UK are more than 12% and if you  get stuck in a traffic jam you could have problems .

Dave

• Like 2

If the Optima is a decent spec, I'd go for it.   After all, do you actually need an SUV type vehicle?

I'd be looking at the Optima to have something in reserve.

5 hours ago, bubble2015 said:

I'd be looking at the Optima to have something in reserve.

Same here.