Propane Bottle and Regulators

Pifour

Message added by CT Advertising,

clesse-320x120.jpg

I live in a house without gas but I thought one of you could advise on this problem.

Up to a couple of years ago we cooked by electric only, when getting a new kitchen I fitted a gas cooker which gets its gas from a propane bottle outside.

The propane bottle is a 18Kg bottle with a regulator fitted on top. I have not built any sort of housing or cover for the bottle so far.

My problem is in the really cold weather I do not get enough gas through to run the burners full up on just one or two rings.

If when the problem occurs, I turn off the gas on the bottle bleed of the pressure on the bottle side give the regulator a few careful taps and put the gas back on the rings can be turned fully up. I have tried wrapping the bottle in plastic and a cloth but it did not help.

Anyone got any idea what is going on and how I can fix it?

First of all, are you sure the bottle is propane? The reason I ask is that butane is the gas which can cause problems in the colder times of year.

Insulating the bottle is the worst thing you can do - both Propane & Butane rely on the liquid absorbing heat from the surrounding area to vaporise, so by insulating the cylinder you'll make the problem worse.

Your gauge is freezing up and you need to buy a new gauge, the old one will dry out if kept somewhere warm but it'll take a while.  When you fit the new one make sure the vent hole is at the bottom and wrap something around the gauge, then cover the gauge with something waterproof.

I've got the t-shirt as we have an lpg cooker, I use 47kg bottle and I loosely wrap some bubble wrap around the gauge then stick one of those polystyrene tap protectors over the top, a plastic bag or old coat etc should work, its anything to stop condensation or water getting in the gauge and freezing.

There are a few regulations regarding using propane at home and they're worth checking for piece of mind.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Who installed the cooker and gas cylinder?

A photo  would be good (of the cylinder and regulator)

For a start an 18Kg cylinder will not be big enough to supply enough gas for very long to a domestic cooker.

Quote " There are a few regulations regarding using propane at home and they're worth checking for piece of mind. "

There are a lot of regulations regarding the installation and use of LPG at home.

Edited by Brecon

10 hours ago, Brecon said:

Who installed the cooker and gas cylinder?
A photo  would be good (of the cylinder and regulator)
For a start an 18Kg cylinder will not be big enough to supply enough gas for very long to a domestic cooker.

Quote " There are a few regulations regarding using propane at home and they're worth checking for piece of mind. "

There are a lot of regulations regarding the installation and use of LPG at home.

As I said I have a LPG cooker, I've had one for 30 odd years so I know about the regulations, and that they cook very efficiently.  Finding a  LPG registered gas fitter isn't easy, however the installations and regulations are straight forward and the regulations are common sense.

Paul B

2 hours ago, Paul_B said:

As I said I have a LPG cooker, I've had one for 30 odd years so I know about the regulations, and that they cook very efficiently.   Finding a  LPG registered gas fitter isn't easy, however the installations and regulations are straight forward and the regulations are common sense.

Sorry, but what has your reply got to do with asking the OP who installed his/her cooker?

Have to disagree about finding LPG certified fitters, there is a complete list on the Gas Safe website. (including me)

1 hour ago, Brecon said:

Sorry, but what has your reply got to do with asking the OP who installed his/her cooker?

Have to disagree about finding LPG certified fitters, there is a complete list on the Gas Safe website. (including me)

We'll have to disagree then, as there are very few in our area that have an LPG certificate as there isn't a call for it.

Paul B

From Gas Safe website, seems to be various qualifications applied by Gas Safe.

All fixed LPG gas appliances should be regularly serviced and safety checked every year by a suitably qualified Gas Safe registered engineer. You should check your engineer is qualified to work on your property type, as well as qualified to work on the individual appliance.

For example, if you have an LPG cooker on your boat, the engineer will need to be registered to work on: boats, cookers and LPG.

When buying a new or replacement gas appliance you should check that it is suitable for its intended location (e. g. in a caravan) and the type of gas that will be used (i. e. LPG or natural gas). It must be installed by a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer.

I had the Cooker connected up by a local Corgie registered plumber. A 18Kg bottle lasts me about a year and it is definitely a Propane bottle which is fitted. The oven on the cooker is electric.

The regulator is screwed directly into the top of the bottle with a short rubber tail into a pipe through the wall and the cooker is at the other side of the wall.

The problem is worst on very cold days.

I have taken a photo now need to see how to get it to size for the forum 4. 88 max.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Pifour said:

I had the Cooker connected up by a local Corgie registered plumber. A 18Kg bottle lasts me about a year and it is definitely a Propane bottle which is fitted. The oven on the cooker is electric.

The regulator is screwed directly into the top of the bottle with a short rubber tail into a pipe through the wall and the cooker is at the other side of the wall.

The problem is worst on very cold days.

I have taken a photo now need to see how to get it to size for the forum 4. 88 max.

Thanks

I will still recommend a new gauge and keep it dry, I have a spare just in case.   We use our cooker (gas oven) a lot and a 47kg last us around 10 month, you can tell when its getting low as it starts to smell.  We have a 13kg as back up, or use up a 7kg caravan bottle so we have a full one on the caravan.

Paul B

Paul I have not got a gauge fitted, I lift the bottle up just to get an idea how much is left in it. But thanks for the tips.

5 hours ago, Pifour said:

Paul I have not got a gauge fitted, I lift the bottle up just to get an idea how much is left in it. But thanks for the tips.

Sorry I meant regulator :blush:

Its the regulators that freeze up (we called them gauges at work) if you take yours off and give it a shake I believe you'll get smelly water out of it.

601229_37mbar_propane_1.5kgh_screw_on_regulator_[1].jpg   if you look close you can see the vent hole

Paul B

Paul I think you have got the problem thanks. I think that is what I could be over looking. Thanks

Last night after reading Paul's answer I went out and turned the regulator up side down so as the hole is underneath the regulator. I intend to make some sort of cover or housing for the bottle and regulator. Anyway its about +2  c just now everything working this morning with a good flame at the burner. I will try and lash together a suitable cover today until I can buy materials to make one. Thanks for all your help.

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 09:07, Pifour said:

Last night after reading Paul's answer I went out and turned the regulator up side down so as the hole is underneath the regulator. I intend to make some sort of cover or housing for the bottle and regulator. Anyway its about +2  c just now everything working this morning with a good flame at the burner. I will try and lash together a suitable cover today until I can buy materials to make one. Thanks for all your help.

You really need to dry out the regulator first,  because the hole is very small the surface tension of the water will stop any draining out so it will still freeze if it gets cold enough.  For the sake of £10 its better to fit a new one :)

Paul B

Thanks Paul just received a new one a few minutes ago I had ordered from Towsure. But thanks for your help once you had explained to me what was happening it seemed to make sense. So should get new regulator on in the morning.