Sign in to follow this  
Rich2020

2018 Buccaneer Cruiser Dropped Floor!

Just now, Rich2020 said:

Hi there

not quite clear what reason you are referring to as its not quite clear in your post. But I know one thing, my wife is also looking at the Commodore layout right now in case we have to reject. Any reasons for changing to a Commodore from Cruiser?

I like the feeling of space you get from the Cruiser. But because of the layout and not having a partition wall going across the rear of the van (which looking at the large unsupported floor area at the rear any flexing of the floor might not be show up as drastically as in the Cruiser. I am not a nit picker and expect a degree of movement in a towed caravan and am quite happy to get the screwdrivers out to fix small issues.   It was a toss up between the 2 layouts originally. The shower tray intrusion and the middle door put me off and would you feel a bit claustrophobic in the bedroom, I’m not sure

Hi 

The reason I refer to the change to Alko chassis is why change from the BWP chassis the chassis that they have used for years till 18 months or so after the 8" vans were introduced and faults started to develop. Your post is the first I have heard off.

We change our van every two years, back in 2014 we bought a Caravel and liked the layout apart from the position of the bed, then a  year later they brought out the 8" wide vans and the Cruiser was launched and the Caravel was dropped so in 2016 we got our Cruiser. In 2017 the Commodore was introduced in August we ordered a new Commodore for delivery in March 2018. Your comments about the shower was my thoughts but when we had the Caravel during the night we never slept with the door closed. She who must be obeyed had her mind set on the Commodore layout so need I say any more?:D

20 hours ago, MartinJB said:

They did not say it was a digital aerial they said “the aerial is designed as a digital television aerial”. I in no way felt they were pulling the wool over anyones eyes, they gave quite an open reply. The issue, if any, is design and fit at the manufacturer who clearly feel its “good enough”.

It does not matter what they say and how they designed it, there is still no such thing as a digital TV aerial.   Generally the same broadcast frequencies are used, so the same antennas used for the older analogue television will also receive the new DTV broadcasts.   A wire coat hanger should be able pick up a digital transmission if it was previously used to receive an analogue signal.  

A FM aerial requires to be fairly precise in its dimensions of the dipoles for FM wavelengths.   Considering that FM is still pretty much around then if the Teleco aerial is designed in such a fashion not to pick up a FM signal then there is something seriously wrong considering that there are loads of FM transmitters around for radio.   The radio fitted into the Buccaneers is a analogue radio and not DAB.  

My friend had the same floor problem on his 2015 Cruiser and Elddis sent his dealer a modification kit which added a cross strut underneath the floor.

I am away at the moment so can’t get a picture.

Ian

I am wondering if ALKO are still using the BPW chassis but fitting on the ALKO hitch.   The spare wheel carrier on the 2018 Buccaneer is identical to the one on the BPW chassis.

Alko now own BPW.

20 minutes ago, ian16527 said:

Alko now own BPW.

The American company DexKo own both Al-Ko and BPW

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IanV8 said:

My friend had the same floor problem on his 2015 Cruiser and Elddis sent his dealer a modification kit which added a cross strut underneath the floor.

I am away at the moment so can’t get a picture.

Ian

Hi

Thank You

This is interesting, So Elddis possibly have a mod. Myself and the independant caravan engineer discussed the use of a cross brace and it is good to know that Elddis (or Erwin Hymer as it is now) have a proper mod.  I have since thought that  just having the partition wall replaced wouldn’t solve the problem. as the floor is not springy and has remained in the bowed position.  Any  replacement wall panel, unless it was oversized in depth and then scribed to the bowed floor  would end up trying to pull the floor straight with the fixings and it would fail again. I am taking the van into the dealers on Thursday for them to assess the fault.

Just one question, did it work?

12 hours ago, Durbanite said:

I am wondering if ALKO are still using the BPW chassis but fitting on the ALKO hitch.   The spare wheel carrier on the 2018 Buccaneer is identical to the one on the BPW chassis.

Hi

The salesman at the dealer said, when we bought the van, that although Elddis had changed the chassis to Alko they had kept the original BPW carrier. He said that we would have to have it changed to an Alko spare wheel carrier at a cost of £300 to give clearance to fit the Reich AWD mover rear units. This I paid. When I was checking the van at home I noticed that the spare wheel carrier did not look like an Alko unit and that it was the original BPW wheel carrier.  The dealer refunded the £300.

Edited by Rich2020
Poor Grammer!

10 hours ago, Rich2020 said:

Hi

Thank You

This is interesting, So Elddis possibly have a mod. Myself and the independant caravan engineer discussed the use of a cross brace and it is good to know that Elddis (or Erwin Hymer as it is now) have a proper mod.  I have since thought that  just having the partition wall replaced wouldn’t solve the problem. as the floor is not springy and has remained in the bowed position.  Any  replacement wall panel, unless it was oversized in depth and then scribed to the bowed floor  would end up trying to pull the floor straight with the fixings and it would fail again. I am taking the van into the dealers on Thursday for them to assess the fault.

Yes.

11 hours ago, Rich2020 said:

Hi

The salesman at the dealer said, when we bought the van, that although Elddis had changed the chassis to Alko they had kept the original BPW carrier. He said that we would have to have it changed to an Alko spare wheel carrier at a cost of £300 to give clearance to fit the Reich AWD mover rear units. This I paid. When I was checking the van at home I noticed that the spare wheel carrier did not look like an Alko unit and that it was the original BPW wheel carrier.  The dealer refunded the £300.

The BPW wheel carrier is a lot easier to access than the ALKO wheel carrier.

On 13/02/2018 at 22:11, Rich2020 said:

Hi

Thank You

Any update?  Thanks.

Yes an update is due. Started to write this morning but got distracted!

Took the Buccanner into the dealers yesterday. Aftersales Supervisor, Body shop head, my caravan engineer and myself were present. I left the bodyshop guy and my engineer to check the wall - floor seperation issue. I joined them 10 minutes later to point out all the sloping gaps under the shower tray and bathroom furniture and wardrobe. The bodyshop guy said that it was probably a job for the factory as if they (the dealers) just replaced the wall it would fail again at the wall to floor  KD fixings owing to the bowing in the floor. Basically they thought it was a factory job to repair ( fair comment as we had suspected that it might be a factory repair ourselves).

The Aftersales supervisor said they would contact Elddis that afternoon and send them the photos that my caravan engineer had taken.  

This morning I received an email from dealer aftersales stating that Elddis were requesting more photos of:

Photos of sidewall

Wheels

Tyres

Underside of floor

Chassis

Spare wheel carrier

Motor mover if fitted

Make of this what you will!! 

This I duly did and sent the Google photos link to the dealers.

This is where we are at the moment, waiting on a response from Elddis.

Thanks

Thanks for the update and lets hope theres a good outcome

So you'll be without a 'van for how long? Sad to read of the problems, it just shouldn't happen.

17 minutes ago, Pebble said:

So you'll be without a 'van for how long? Sad to read of the problems, it just shouldn't happen.

Unknown quantity at the moment. General concensus from discussions with bodyshop guy and my engineer that Elddis are relatively quick with turnaround. It will not stop us getting out camping. We have a great Cabanon Biscaya tent set up that we can use (Just got to sort out some underfloor heating though!). It has served us comfortably well and will do again if need be. Bit disappointed with this caravan lark though. 2 vans in less than 12 months, both with structural problems.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Paul_B said:

Thanks for the update and lets hope theres a good outcome

Thank You. I’m sure it will be. Would rather be getting it ready for another trip than hanging in limbo for a decision to be made.

Hi,I have a 2013 Avante and the same thing happened to my van from the bathroom down past the fix bed. Elddis sent a fix to the dealer which was a a supporting frame which they fixed underneath the sinking floor. My question was does it not change the MTPLM,But was just fobbed off.

I have never had the" pleasure" of owning a brand new caravan,but once again I have to applaud the bold(and rich) explorers that take that first step on my behalf. I admire the way you resign yourself to numerous dealer visits with an often misplaced sense of optimism knowing full well that there is only a slight chance they may resolve your issue, and knowing that there is a very high chance that you will be back next month for the same issue along with another issue that you haven't discovered yet!

Whilst this post may have my tongue firmly in my cheek I really do believe that brand new caravan owners really deserve a much better experience than a lot of you currently experience.

I work in customer service in a very competitive market place and we often take a hit financially on our customers behalf, initially I considered this to be an extremely poor business model,but 30 years on and with expansions takeovers  and profits up every year, maybe it is viable!

Maybe it would work in the Caravan industry, owning up, taking responsibility and not treating your customers like idiots.

There's a radical idea!:)

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Rich2020 said:

Thank You. I’m sure it will be. Would rather be getting it ready for another trip than hanging in limbo for a decision to be made.

Thanks for the update.   Quite interested to know what Elddis will actually do to repair the issue.   We went down on Thursday to our 2018 Cruiser and specifically checked the floor are in the bathroom and no bowing.

Edited by Durbanite

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 19:21, Rich2020 said:

Yes an update is due. Started to write this morning but got distracted!

Took the Buccanner into the dealers yesterday. Aftersales Supervisor, Body shop head, my caravan engineer and myself were present. I left the bodyshop guy and my engineer to check the wall - floor seperation issue. I joined them 10 minutes later to point out all the sloping gaps under the shower tray and bathroom furniture and wardrobe. The bodyshop guy said that it was probably a job for the factory as if they (the dealers) just replaced the wall it would fail again at the wall to floor  KD fixings owing to the bowing in the floor. Basically they thought it was a factory job to repair ( fair comment as we had suspected that it might be a factory repair ourselves).

The Aftersales supervisor said they would contact Elddis that afternoon and send them the photos that my caravan engineer had taken.  

This morning I received an email from dealer aftersales stating that Elddis were requesting more photos of:

Photos of sidewall

Wheels

Tyres

Underside of floor

Chassis

Spare wheel carrier

Motor mover if fitted

Make of this what you will!! 

This I duly did and sent the Google photos link to the dealers.

This is where we are at the moment, waiting on a response from Elddis.

Thanks

With such a major structural problem you would least expect an Elddis engineer / deigner to come out and inspect the caravan.   Elddis / Hymer should replace this caravan with no questions and personally I wouldn't have any repairs undertaken because structurally its design is flawed for safe use.

All the very best regardless . ..

Edited by Silverback

4 hours ago, Silverback said:

With such a major structural problem you would least expect an Elddis engineer / deigner to come out and inspect the caravan.   Elddis / Hymer should replace this caravan with no questions and personally I wouldn't have any repairs undertaken because structurally its design is flawed for safe use.

All the very best regardless . ..

They should, you would think, unfortunately I am passed the 30 day "rejection without repair' window". We are now in the 30 day to 6 month window under the 2015 Consumer Rights Act as we took delivery of the van at the end of November 2017. We have to let them attempt one repair and one repair only. Some good news though. I put the issue on the Buccaneer Owners Group on FB and someone else has just checked their brand new 2018 Cruiser and has found the same problem after a short trip. Photos are almost identical to ours. Not sure if are allowed you paste a Facebook Link on here?

27 minutes ago, Rich2020 said:

They should, you would think, unfortunately I am passed the 30 day "rejection without repair' window". We are now in the 30 day to 6 month window under the 2015 Consumer Rights Act as we took delivery of the van at the end of November 2017. We have to let them attempt one repair and one repair only. Some good news though. I put the issue on the Buccaneer Owners Group on FB and someone else has just checked their brand new 2018 Cruiser and has found the same problem after a short trip. Photos are almost identical to ours. Not sure if are allowed you paste a Facebook Link on here?

Well that's it then, the fault was there when you purchased the caravan, the fault being in its design.

Best of luck, though I don't think you'll need any . . ;)

18 hours ago, Rich2020 said:

When out of the 6 month window, under the CRA 2015 there are still plenty of other options to reject a caravan.   A dropped floor or damp would probably be classed as an inherent fault as the issue would have been there from day one due to poor design or build.

30 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

When out of the 6 month window, under the CRA 2015 there are still plenty of other options to reject a caravan.   A dropped floor or damp would probably be classed as an inherent fault as the issue would have been there from day one due to poor design or build.

Yes I agree and I would not want to put anybody off a rejection option after the 6 months and quite rightly 6 months should not be the limit on a leisure vehicle not used everyday. But 6 months is specifically mentioned, I believe, as a one repair attempt where one has to be satisfied with the result, the time scale and convenience factors and then rejection. I would rather have the wording completely on my side.

I think it is vital that 2018 Cruiser owners check there partition wall fixings especially for cracking to the wood beneath the KD fixing and any sloping panel gaps between the floor in the bathroom shower tray, Vanity unit etc. They may not have failed yet but may do after the stresses of towing. I seem to remember first time out noticing that the cover cap had not been put on properly but did not look any further. Then again would we have done anything, probably not.

As I said, in previous post someone on Buccaneers Owners on Facebook has checked theres and it has gone the same. As I said, almost identical photos to mine. A coincidence, maybe.   Most new owners should still be within the 6 month window.

Has this been resolved Rich?

Due to collect our's on Thursday and just reviewing previous posts for points to check!

Jim