Sign in to follow this  
Rich2020

2018 Buccaneer Cruiser Dropped Floor!

We picked up our 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser at the end of November 2017 (Lucky us, or not!). After taking it out for a second time we discovered that the floor under the washroom wall has dropped. I realise there are probably not too many 2018 models out there but has anyone else experienced this? It could be only the Cruiser this shows up on because it has the partition wall at the rear. Could it be a result of the switch to Alko chassis as there isn't any cross support beneath the van at the rear centre.  

We are a bit disappointed really as the rest of the van initially looks good apart from the bowed entrance door which gets worse depending on the weather and the poor FM radio reception through the Teleco aerial. Teleco say FM reception is a secondary feature of the aerial and the wiring is to Erwin Hymers specification.

After a damp related internal strip down warranty claim on our previous Lunar caravan I feel like binning the whole caravan idea and getting the tent out again.

Here we go again

IMG_3247.thumb.jpg.10c5d8ca6ab70fa58bee8f84155ef3ce.jpgIMG_3248.thumb.jpg.b9321bd6e761111490a35ce3665f9d6f.jpg

https://photos. app. goo. gl/j9hjHN4sHeFDMLqL2

We have a 2018 Cruiser collected end of Oct 2017.   The floor creaks loudly in the bathroom area but have not got down on my hands and knees to check.   We did ask the dealer to check why it creaked but they said they could not see anything.

Hi Rich and welcome, really sorry to see your problems, not a cheap van at over £30k !

I know little about the van in question but I do know it has underfloor heating so I assume it has an upper floor and then the main caravan floor itself, so I  was wondering is it bowing underneath the exterior of the caravan too or is it just the upper floor somehow droped? Has the dealer yet given their feedback? Normally (ignoring underfloor heating) the likely culprit would likely be delamination? Maybe?

Thank you for replying. Out of interest, how many times have you took the van out since delivery? We took it out for a week in December to the East coast and it was fine. We have just returned from of a trip to London, Brighton and Cambridge CC sites. This is when we discovered it. Luckily we are still within the 30 day to 6 month rejection period. But will still have to give the dealer one chance to repair which I believe will probably involve additional floor strengthening under the van and a new partition wall. My hopes are not high for a "better than new' repair.

2 minutes ago, MartinJB said:

Hi Rich and welcome, really sorry to see your problems, not a cheap van at over £30k !

I know little about the van in question but I do know it has underfloor heating so I assume it has an upper floor and then the main caravan floor itself, so I  was wondering is it bowing underneath the exterior of the caravan too or is it just the upper floor somehow droped? Has the dealer yet given their feedback? Normally (ignoring underfloor heating) the likely culprit would likely be delamination? Maybe?

We have had an independent caravan engineer out to look and he has placed a straight edge across underneath the van. He confirms that there is a at least a 5mm bow in the external floor across the van in that area. I am in the process of attempting to contact the dealer but this on previous experience is a task in itself. The dealer in question shall remain nameless for now.

30 minutes ago, Rich2020 said:

Thank you for replying. Out of interest, how many times have you took the van out since delivery? We took it out for a week in December to the East coast and it was fine. We have just returned from of a trip to London, Brighton and Cambridge CC sites. This is when we discovered it. Luckily we are still within the 30 day to 6 month rejection period. But will still have to give the dealer one chance to repair which I believe will probably involve additional floor strengthening under the van and a new partition wall. My hopes are not high for a "better than new' repair.

We have spent approximately 10 nights in  it since collection, but have only towed it from Brean to Worcester a distance of about 90 motorway miles.

Not your main issue, I know but I had the Teleco aerial and it was better than anything before or since for both TV and FM.   Worth checking the connections?

41 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

We have spent approximately 10 nights in  it since collection, but have only towed it from Brean to Worcester a distance of about 90 motorway miles.

The first time we took it out was for 5 nights at Skegness Sands Club Site and that was only 80miles from Nottingham roads. To be honest I was only looking for things working or not that week and damp. This problem may or may not have been there but not as bad. The 2 weeks to Brighton we did a total of 400 miles and stopped on 4 sites mostly on motorways but some A roads near the sites so it had a good work out but then again it is a "touring caravan'.  You might like to try a good work out for your van before 6 months runs out (good excuse for a mini tour) just in case this is not an isolated case.  

Does anyone else know if the previous BPW chassis had a cross member at the rear on 2017 etc. vans to give more support

34 minutes ago, SamD said:

Not your main issue, I know but I had the Teleco aerial and it was better than anything before or since for both TV and FM.   Worth checking the connections?

Hi thanks for the info. I will test all the connections. We had a foldaway/extendable caravan aerial on our Lunar which was that good everywhere I often didn't even extend it it was that good. But the Teleco has got bad hiss on Radio 2 everywhere. I was wandering about getting the aerial changed in the future to a Status 500 series. It is interesting to note that you are having no problems. This is an email I sent to Teleco UK

Hello
I have been passed onto you by Teleco support
I have purchased a 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser manufactured by Elddis Hymer UK. It has been fitted with a Teleco X2. The TV picture is excellent and is OK. The caravan is also fitted with a Pioneer FM Car stereo, (Not DAB). The antenna lead from this radio is connected to a Teleco 3 way splitter which is connected to a TV output on the Teleco Amplifier.  
The FM signal is very poor.
My question is: Is the Teleplus X2 suitable for FM transmission? I can send photos of the connections if required

Kind regards

This is there reply

Many thanks for your enquiry relating to Teleco television aerials.

It is good to receive your feedback and that the television aerial you have is performing well in its primary role as a television aerial.  As the aerial is designed as a digital television aerial it will also receive DAB digital radio which can be listened to through your television.  It will also receive to some extent FM radio, however please appreciate this is a compromise on a product of this type as its primary function is for TV reception and it is not a dedicated FM radio antenna.  The reception of FM radio will differ in locations around the UK depending on the radio stations available and the signal strength received.

Ideally for FM reception an antenna would always need to be in vertical polarisation, and around 1m long in total to focus its reception on the FM waveband.  From what you have told us it appears the product you have is no way faulty and is performing to its specification as agreed with Erwin Hymer UK Ltd.

Many thanks
Scan-Terieur

No such thing as a digital aerial so they are trying to pull the wool over your eyes and not very successfully.   Not sure but I think when we tested our radio there was no issue.   Take it up with the dealer as the caravan is covered for such repairs.

7 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

No such thing as a digital aerial so they are trying to pull the wool over your eyes and not very successfully.   Not sure but I think when we tested our radio there was no issue.   Take it up with the dealer as the caravan is covered for such repairs.

Thanks, I will take it up with the dealer. I just wanted to ask Teleco if their aerial was suitable for FM and if not then why have Erwin Hymer connected it to the radio. A less expensive option probably. Along with the decision to swap to an Alko chassis from a BPW. Cost! If some of the European manufacturers could make a van with the attractive exterior and interior style of the Buccaneer with a high UK market orientated specification with a their build quality. I would buy one and so would more people, even at a slightly higher price.

19 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

They did not say it was a digital aerial they said “the aerial is designed as a digital television aerial”. I in no way felt they were pulling the wool over anyones eyes, they gave quite an open reply. The issue, if any, is design and fit at the manufacturer who clearly feel its “good enough”.

Looks to me like this compromise was at the cost of FM reception which is madness, why don’t they just fit a DAB radio must be a few quid in it at the volume these manufacturers would buy at? 

My experience of the 3 caravans I have owned all had poor FM signal from both the vision plus system and the pull up antenna, I now have DAB (fitted myself) and its perfect (crisp quality).

Personally I would not speak to teleco. Mine had a rubber split and they blamed me for washing the van with harsh chemicals to try and get out of it. but they never after i spoke to Elddis and told them I've never washed the van with anything but water. As we had it paint protected when new. so how can they come to that conclusion. being done next week by dealer warranty fix. as they wanted £120 for a new rubber to the dealer alone. Dealer said if it was cheap £10/15  they would suffer it but not at £120.

We have the 16 and the floor is approx 1. 5in thick 2x ply and then a sponge sandwich with the pipes inbetween. .so if it dipped on top it would show under neath if bowed. But we are on the now and that doesn' have supports by there. We did have a problem with the sliding door when new. i think it was mm to tall and was stiff. but after it was done it been fine since. .if need I will take a goto of mine so you can see any difference

1 hour ago, smino0_1 said:

Personally I would not speak to teleco. Mine had a rubber split and they blamed me for washing the van with harsh chemicals to try and get out of it. but they never after i spoke to Elddis and told them I've never washed the van with anything but water. As we had it paint protected when new. so how can they come to that conclusion. being done next week by dealer warranty fix. as they wanted £120 for a new rubber to the dealer alone. Dealer said if it was cheap £10/15  they would suffer it but not at £120.

We have the 16 and the floor is approx 1. 5in thick 2x ply and then a sponge sandwich with the pipes inbetween. .so if it dipped on top it would show under neath if bowed. But we are on the now and that doesn' have supports by there. We did have a problem with the sliding door when new. i think it was mm to tall and was stiff. but after it was done it been fine since. .if need I will take a goto of mine so you can see any difference

Yes, the caravan engineer has confirmed that the bowing is showing externally using a straight edge. A photo of your bpw chassis at the rear would great. Here is oursDSC_0727.thumb.jpg.fe3cfaf69834cf5aee979176c99770f7.jpg

Just checked our 2017 commodore and yes it does have a chassis cross brace about 1. 2 metre from the rear of the van,but it has a 15 mm gap to the floor so would not give the floor any support,hope that helps.

Hi yes there is a strengthening bar going accross the back of van. Looks to me as tho the axle jacks are closer together too. ??

Yes our is same as op above too.

Can you pm me your email and i will send them over as on fone and too big jpg for here.

just had another thought. can you measure between the chassis at the back and then in middle of van. as said we have a cross bar. but does this stop the chassis spreading?would it make the floor bow? i dont know. just worth a thought.

Edited by smino0_1

54 minutes ago, smino0_1 said:

Hi yes there is a strengthening bar going accross the back of van. Looks to me as tho the axle jacks are closer together too. ??

Yes our is same as op above too.

Can you pm me your email and i will send them over as on fone and too big jpg for here.

just had another thought. can you measure between the chassis at the back and then in middle of van. as said we have a cross bar. but does this stop the chassis spreading?would it make the floor bow? i dont know. just worth a thought.

Thank You for your replies. Thinking about, it without a cross brace the rear chassis extensions bolted on could be pulled inwards this would cause the floor to sag. I notice from the BPW Chassis diagram that there are no extensions This would give a more rigid structure together with the cross brace than the Alko extensions alone.

I will take some measurements in the morning to gather more clues.

Once again, Thanks

I have tried to PM you but it says:

smino0_1 cannot receive messages

Hi ive cleaned my inbox now. so you can send it now

PM sent, Thanks

5 hours ago, MartinJB said:

They did not say it was a digital aerial they said “the aerial is designed as a digital television aerial”. I in no way felt they were pulling the wool over anyones eyes, they gave quite an open reply. The issue, if any, is design and fit at the manufacturer who clearly feel its “good enough”.

Looks to me like this compromise was at the cost of FM reception which is madness, why don’t they just fit a DAB radio must be a few quid in it at the volume these manufacturers would buy at? 

My experience of the 3 caravans I have owned all had poor FM signal from both the vision plus system and the pull up antenna, I now have DAB (fitted myself) and its perfect (crisp quality).

I would be interested in your DAB set up if you have any photos of how you fitted it, position of aerial etc. Would such an installation invalidate the warranty. (Although I realise doing anything more or less anything invalidates a caravan warranty). 

Thanks

Hi Rich 2020

This might the reason that Buccaneer's are now built on Alko chassis, we have a 2016 Cruiser at the moment and it's been fine, just waiting on delivery of a new Commodore.

Hope you get your problem resolved quickly.

I have fitted a DAB radio to my last 2 caravans. I bought the same make DAB radio and the one in the van just pulls out of its holder and with the new DAB radio being the same make, it just pushed into the holder. The connections were the same on the back of the radio.

1 hour ago, Sparkie240 said:

Hi Rich 2020

This might the reason that Buccaneer's are now built on Alko chassis, we have a 2016 Cruiser at the moment and it's been fine, just waiting on delivery of a new Commodore.

Hope you get your problem resolved quickly.

Hi there

not quite clear what reason you are referring to as its not quite clear in your post. But I know one thing, my wife is also looking at the Commodore layout right now in case we have to reject. Any reasons for changing to a Commodore from Cruiser?

I like the feeling of space you get from the Cruiser. But because of the layout and not having a partition wall going across the rear of the van (which looking at the large unsupported floor area at the rear any flexing of the floor might not be show up as drastically as in the Cruiser. I am not a nit picker and expect a degree of movement in a towed caravan and am quite happy to get the screwdrivers out to fix small issues.   It was a toss up between the 2 layouts originally. The shower tray intrusion and the middle door put me off and would you feel a bit claustrophobic in the bedroom, I’m not sure

2 hours ago, gmc15 said:

I have fitted a DAB radio to my last 2 caravans. I bought the same make DAB radio and the one in the van just pulls out of its holder and with the new DAB radio being the same make, it just pushed into the holder. The connections were the same on the back of the radio.

Hi 

thanks for the reply

out of interest, what aerial are you using on your Schooner with your replacement DAB radio.