Sign in to follow this  
PandR

Is it time for Metered electricity

We are currently in Spain and it's freezing cold. The talk of the site is the 0. 38 Euro charge per unit of electricity.

We are using our Safefill to it's limit and that works out at less than 0. 09 Euro per kw.

However, what we don't see is the majority of awnings glowing red like one sees on a CMC site with their Halogen heaters.

Is it time for all pitches to be fully metered and an urgent priority for CMC in order to reduce pitch fees and help the environment.

• Like 1

Yes. We should pay for what we use at the correct price. No more and no less.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, PandR said:

We are currently in Spain and it's freezing cold. The talk of the site is the 0. 38 Euro charge per unit of electricity.

We are using our Safefill to it's limit and that works out at less than 0. 09 Euro per kw.

However, what we don't see is the majority of awnings glowing red like one sees on a CMC site with their Halogen heaters.

Is it time for all pitches to be fully metered and an urgent priority for CMC in order to reduce pitch fees and help the environment.

In this day and age, that should be the primary reason for pitch metering - we're all being encouraged to fit smart meters at home so just fitting basic meters to pitch connections would be consistent.

Lots of medium sized private sites now have meters. ...

geoff

So long as the site owners/managers don't take the Mickey with the pricing, I don't see a problem with meters.  

There are regulations as to how much can be charged for the resale of electricity. These regulations include caravan parks.

A cursory look suggests there can't be a mark up per unit for resale. Looks like there can be a flat rate charge for inclusive electricity.

What insanity. No incentive to meter and no incentive to stop folks heating their awnings.

Unbelievable.

Whilst certainly in the UK sites can only charge the customer the price per unit they are being charged, they can have a charge relating to the provision of the hookup, the bollard, installation, testing and certification etc.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brecon said:

Whilst certainly in the UK sites can only charge the customer the price per unit they are being charged, they can have a charge relating to the provision of the hookup, the bollard, installation, testing and certification etc.

Yes but that doesn't really control usage properly.

We're on a seasonal pitch and our electricity is metered and it's a great thing because of the way the awning brigade use heaters  and they were left on all night.   We are charged at 15 pence per unit.  

The part of the site we're on is new with serviced metered pitches, our part of the site has been paying for electricity for two years now but the start of last season the remaining seasonal pitches were metered and started paying for electricity and that's when the all the awning brigade started moaning.  

Pay for what you use and that way you will watch what you use and stop the waste.

• Like 3

I've mentioned it on here a couple of times already but I know of 2 sites who went metered and both lost so much custom immediately.   They both reverted to previous arrangements - the meters are still on the pitch posts.

I suspect it would take the 'might' of the Clubs to start it off.   If you can heat your awning for free just down the road, why pay another site for that 'privilege'?

Edited by SamD
  • Like 1

I have no problem with metered electricity as long as the pitch fees are reduced too when electricity was included before.

• Like 3

Should ban awning heaters on all sites, and ask offenders to leave site immediately.

Tin hat is ready!

Edited by hp100425ev
  • Like 7

I have no interest in metered EHU provision. I no longer use an awning and use simply what I need. If others use more it does not concern me. I have no interest in faffing about to pay for what I have used on departure.  

4 minutes ago, hp100425ev said:

Should ban awning heaters on all sites, and ask offenders to leave site immediately.

Tin hat is ready!

Well I think that's perhaps a little draconian. Maybe a public flogging?

In all seriousness, there are occasions when we need (choose) to heat our awning and charging a premium for the electricity would ensure that choice remains but undoubtedly would drive a completely different culture of use.

Maybe we'd see Patio heaters in awnings!!!

In the Uk, not many sites are open in winter. will it be cost effective for site owners to install meter? some site already charges for electric separately just like they charge for awning, dogs etc. some sites do states no heater are allowed in the awning and they will ask you to leave if you do.

Edited by oldboy
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, oldboy said:

. ..... some site already charges for electric separately just like they charge for awning, dogs etc. .....

I thought pitches had to charge the same whether you used the hook up or not.

3 minutes ago, David Park said:

Some CMC sites have "Economy" pitches which are without electric and are at a reduced cost, if you are on a "Standard" or "Super" pitch you pay the same whether you use the provided services or not, the pitch fee is for access to the facilities as opposed to the amount you utilise them

6 minutes ago, David Park said:

Some site I have been on listed electric as an optional extra. And some  French sites give you a choice of 4,6 or10 amps.

Edited by oldboy

Perhaps they could offer pitch with out EHU, a certain %. This way if you do not need/want EHU you’re not subsiding the awning heaters.  Could be cheaper then installing meters.

A better arrangement to limit electricity being wasted is to limit the available amperage from the bollard to 6 Amps. That is sufficient to keep the leisure battery fully charged and as caravan fridges heating and cooking  can be run on gas. no-body will miss out. The pitch fee could then by proportionally reduced which would be very welcome.

3 minutes ago, bessacarr425 said:

A better arrangement to limit electricity being wasted is to limit the available amperage from the bollard to 6 Amps. That is sufficient to keep the leisure battery fully charged and as caravan fridges heating and cooking  can be run on gas. no-body will miss out. The pitch fee could then by proportionally reduced which would be very welcome.

Where did you get your gas microwave from? Mine only works on 230v.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bessacarr425 said:

Ok if re-setting trip is accessible for say when microwave or kettle trip it.

• Like 1

Just imagine this scenario. you are watching TV the electric goes off you need to top up your card and the office is closed what do you do then? don't think the warden will be very happy if you knock on his door in the middle of the night because you had run out of electricity. and what happens to the credit on the card will they do a refund?

5 minutes ago, oldboy said:

Just imagine this scenario. you are watching TV the electric goes off you need to top up your card and the office is closed what do you do then? don't think the warden will be very happy if you knock on his door in the middle of the night because you had run out of electricity. and what happens to the credit on the card will they do a refund?

The sites I have used in UK that have a meter, you pay at the end of your stay.