Sign in to follow this  
ValA

Clean Air (Crit Air) sticker - important update

I'm posting this in the current topics again as I think more people will see it.   The 'Crit Air' environment sticker for your car is now required in a lot more areas.   Many people who never went near a city (like us) thought that we wouldn't need one but we may need to think again.    Apparently whole departements have 'gone clean' or are going to do and will now require you to have a sticker.  This link explains which departements are affected.   

Obviously we'll all need to keep an eye out for high pollution levels too, so it's hope they are investing the money raised in some sort of 'flagging up' system for those who don't use 'Apps' (believe it or not some people don't have smartphones) which indicates pollution levels and which categories of vehicle are allowed in.

The website does admit (somewhere) that it's now difficult for non-residents (and I think it's addressed to people who don't live in a particular place) to work out just what is required where and when - so it's going to even more difficult for people just passing through on their holidays

Edited by ValA
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the heads up ValA on this hot topic. I am thinking it might just be better to buy the sticker (as I think it is a one off payment) and then I should be covered as I understand it. I am off to France in June for 3+ weeks touring down the East side of France and end up down in Provence.  

I need to pass that info on to my son who's planning to go camping in France this year and may need one, looking at the map of departments.

Doosan, we head to Provence and have one for Lyon when passing through.  

• Like 1

Is the sticker 29. 65 euros for a car?

No. Ours was about €5 but just for passing through Lyon.  There are different categories depending on the emissions of your car.  

Just for reference we applied for the sticker on Sat 27 Jan and received an email saying we were covered the following Monday and the actual sticker last Friday, 2 Feb.  The biggest problem was getting the scanned copy of page 2 of the car reg document down to 400kb.

Michael

Using the official French Gov site the sticker costs €4. 8 (I think, or there about). Costs far more if you go vis third party sites.

Michael

• Like 1

Yes we had this problem, so took it into work and the IT chaps (far more tech savvy than me by far) managed to do it for me.  

It's better ordering it far in advance of your trip too as last year there were delays in stickers being returned.  

7 minutes ago, MHE said:

Using the official French Gov site the sticker costs €4. 8 (I think, or there about). Costs far more if you go vis third party sites.

Michael

That's not a bad price. It is probably worth just getting one for any trip to france this year just to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MHE said:

Just for reference we applied for the sticker on Sat 27 Jan and received an email saying we were covered the following Monday and the actual sticker last Friday, 2 Feb.  The biggest problem was getting the scanned copy of page 2 of the car reg document down to 400kb.

Michael

Reading the info on the app, it seems that you can take a photo on your smartphone (assuming that you have one) and can apply for a sticker through the app and then attach the photo.

16 minutes ago, MHE said:

Michael

Do you have a link to that, please.

Anyone found the app? I found one - Info Crit'air' but it seems to be informing Parisians about the vignette Crit'air as opposed to purchasing it.  I'll keep looking.  

Doosan, what's the name of the app please?

Had a look at the App and downloaded it as it was free. If you order your Crit Air badge from the App they are charging 29. 65 Euros so beware. it is a rip off !! It is only 4. 8 Euros when ordering via the official web page.  

Alan

8 minutes ago, Bergamo said:

Doosan, what's the name of the app please?

Hi Bergamo, the app is called-Zones.   :)

6 minutes ago, Doosan said:

Hi Bergamo, the app is called-Zones.   :)

Not being pedantic but actually it is called 'Green - Zones. EU' and it covers all areas of the EU and not just France.  

If you do order via the official French gov site and are having problems getting the scanned reg doc image size down I used the site http://www. imageoptimizer. net/Pages/Home. aspx.   I did not even have to download the application, just ran it on the web page.  I only scanned page 2 of the car registration document, which was OK as I received my sticker.

Michael

• Like 2

Keeping that link separate so that everyone can see it, the website also mentions 

The purchase of a Crit’Air badge in itself is not particularly helpful. The crucial factor in many cases is the knowledge of which vignette color may drive on which day and during which times, in which zone and which types of vehicles are affected. Here you will find more about Green-Zones’ information services in real time . ..

There is an App which you can download which will give this information, but if you don't have a smartphone don't assume that you've got the sticker and can drive anywhere and everywhere.    Those driving vintage vehicles should be especially aware whether they are eligible for a sticker at all.

1 hour ago, ValA said:

Keeping that link separate so that everyone can see it, the website also mentions 

The purchase of a Crit’Air badge in itself is not particularly helpful. The crucial factor in many cases is the knowledge of which vignette color may drive on which day and during which times, in which zone and which types of vehicles are affected. Here you will find more about Green-Zones’ information services in real time . ..

There is an App which you can download which will give this information, but if you don't have a smartphone don't assume that you've got the sticker and can drive anywhere and everywhere.    Those driving vintage vehicles should be especially aware whether they are eligible for a sticker at all.

Val

I downloaded the Green Zone App from the official Crit Air website which said that it was their App and had a link to it. The App works in real time as long as you are on data roaming but it also has other functions such as applying for the Crit Air sticker for France at a cost of  29. 65 Euros ! Give it a try.  

Yes, if you have a smartphone, but not everyone does, as I commented!  My Oh doesn't.   Friends don't.    And definitely don't buy the sticker using the App or you'll be paying 25 euros too much!

Interesting how a year ago a number of comments suggested this was only needed for a very few areas/cities did not apply to "foreign" vehicles and the rest.   At that time people were being conned into paying ridiculous prices by "rogue" sites that supposedly trusted sources has links to!   The legitimate site was there to be found of course! 

Like some others I paid €4. 80 and the sticker sits next to the similar German one on my windscreen.   

If you can't afford €4. 80 then don't buy it and take your chance.   If you can and may not ever need it then get it!" 

Why add more stress for the sake of €4. 80?