MiFi for Dummies

Thanks Martin, I've just ask Sky support on Facebook because talking to them is impossible, if the data will continually role over could save paying for a contract of length without using it. I'm using a Huawei E5785 Black, 4G/ 300Mbps Travel Mobile Wi-Fi Hotspot with Long-lasting 3000mAh Battery – Unlocked to all Networks.

This is the answer I've had from Sky customer help line

the sim plans we provide are 12 month contracts but you would get FREE unlimited calls and texts and you would also get a 25% discount on the data packages. ..
10gb plans would be £15
5gb plans are £11. 25
1gb plan £7. 50

all of these plans have the roll over data included so You don't lose what you don't use

Finally tied sky down, you can have a 12 month contract with sky mobile, the smallest data package is 500mb/month and as this rolls over you could build up 6GB in a year and use when you want. Obviously if you want more you up your monthly tariff. The bundle come of course with calls and text but I'm not using it for that. Hope you find this helpful, seems to be the cheapest way? unless someone knows of a better one?

On 21/02/2018 at 20:16, zorro56 said:

Thanks Martin, I've just ask Sky support on Facebook because talking to them is impossible, if the data will continually role over could save paying for a contract of length without using it. I'm using a Huawei E5785 Black, 4G/ 300Mbps Travel Mobile Wi-Fi Hotspot with Long-lasting 3000mAh Battery – Unlocked to all Networks.

As the Dummy who started this topic  I would be obliged if you could advise how long you have owned and used the E5785 please? I would also like to know where and how you use the device and whether you use an antenna? 

I do not have a smart phone, though may get one sometime in the future . Meanwhile I would largely use MiFi with my NetBook particularly on caravan sites but also when travelling in general.

A further Dummy question is: Having established a hotspot would anyone nearby be able to use the hotspot or even be able to interfere with my internet use?

8 hours ago, DeeTee said:

As the Dummy who started this topic  I would be obliged if you could advise how long you have owned and used the E5785 please? I would also like to know where and how you use the device and whether you use an antenna? 

I do not have a smart phone, though may get one sometime in the future . Meanwhile I would largely use MiFi with my NetBook particularly on caravan sites but also when travelling in general.

A further Dummy question is: Having established a hotspot would anyone nearby be able to use the hotspot or even be able to interfere with my internet use?

Neighbours will not be able to use your mifi so long as you as you have activated encryption on the unit (WPA2.)

As for not connecting to the Interweb via the Spanish system, you will need an APN file from the Spanish operator which will give you the connection. However thereafter you will not be able to get at some UK sites - for instance you can try www. bbc. co. uk but it will automatically take you to the international site www. bbc. com (which you cannot access in the UK) and from which you cannot (or at least were not able to) get into iPlayer. If you want to access UK sites as if you are in the UK you will need a VPN - a Virtual Private Network.  Kaspersky offer such a facility called Secure Connection which will cost you £19. 99 per year for five connections with unlimited downloads and you can select the server country. If you select a UK server then anyone you connect to will think you are in the UK including the BBC. It also has the advantage of encrypting your data so if you use an open wi-fi connection anywhere no-one will be able to read your information. You can use KSC anywhere including in the UK.

Edited by Woodentop

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Dummy? don't think so, if you don't know the answer the solution is to seek advice.

• 3 weeks later...

Today's special offers from Memory. ...reduction in 12GB price. ...now £24. 99 not £29. 99

geoff

Edited by shipbroker
Wrong disipline

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

As Geoff said, Mymmemory has reduced their price for the 12 GB Three Sim - I'm sure it was £27. 99 when I looked on Monday.

https://www. mymemory. co. uk/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-with-12gb-data. html?source=Webgains

3 hours ago, onewheelonmywagon said:

As Geoff said, Mymmemory has reduced their price for the 12 GB Three Sim - I'm sure it was £27. 99 when I looked on Monday.

https://www. mymemory. co. uk/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-with-12gb-data. html?source=Webgains

That was the price I paid on the 26 February and I have since used it with an unlocked Huawei 7755. I have used almost 1GB on updating a desktop PC.

• 3 months later...

Hi all just purchased a Huawei E5330 always used a dongle for my lap top so got this instead, having great difficulty in getting it set up its asking for the network key, is that the IMEI number. Thanks.

35 minutes ago, Paul64 said:

Hi all just purchased a Huawei E5330 always used a dongle for my lap top so got this instead, having great difficulty in getting it set up its asking for the network key, is that the IMEI number. Thanks.

That is usually the wifi password either on the paperwork with the unit or printed on a sticker inside the back cover

Edited by Idleness

Skoda Yeti Outdoor pulling an Elddis Affinity 554

For the record ALL items purchased from 3 are unlocked - it has been their Co policy for about three years.

The link in an earlier post to a 3-branded Huawei unit which is 3G only and may or may not be successful. 3G can be surprisingly slow sometimes.

Finally, if you buy anything on PAYG from a EE shop they will unlock it for you at the time of purchase if requested.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville