Kampa Awning - leaking or condensation?

Message added by CT Advertising,

Bradcot AwningsTop-quality awnings from the UK's No.1 manufacturer.

Special offers, clearance sale and online store.

Click here for more.

We have the Kampa Rally 390 Plus and on using it in October last year the roof was as per the picture below, there was no rain but the ground and air was very damp, hence condensation.   We purchased the roof liner which when away at Easter helped to stop it dripping onto the chairs below, but some soaked through and dripped down.   I have now water-proofed the liner (soaked it in some Nuwax water proofer).  I sprayed water on it and it runs straight off.   We will now (hopefully) have a liner that deflects the condensation to the edges.   My wife will be sewing some flexible piping (the sort of thing that edges car seats) along the front edge to direct the water running off to either end.

Will it work?  I'm not 100% sure as we aren't away again until the end of May.

awning2.JPG

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

• 10 months later...

I've had nothing but problems with water ingress on my Kampa Ace Air 400. I've been in contact with Kampa; they said it was condensation so I decided to have it tested. £50 later and they sent back my awning with a shoddy video which deliberately did not show whether water was leaking. Splashed out more money to get it independently tested by a company recommended by the sales company, only to have it sent back with a statement that they could only conduct a visual check of the seams (no water testing). So I've spent over £100 for 2 inconclusive tests. The awning leaks with minutes of rainfall and I have videos and photos similar to yours, where the entire contents of the awning are soaked. On one occasion I put up the Annex and the water ran along the inside of the roof and into the annex, soaking all of the bedding.  

Ive been in touch with my insurance company and we are taking legal action. 

Edited by Tony580

I had a leaky Kampa 390 air awning, the dealer & Kampa re-proofed it, told me once it's weathered it will be ok, it wasn't. As I paid on a card for it, I sent my complaint to my card provider with all the facts & after about a month got an apologetic phone call from my dealer saying it would be replaced. I decided to replace it with an Ace Air 400 (paying the price difference) this awning has been great, very satisfied with it. 

I've had trouble with mine in the past. When we were at a large meet maybe the CMC national i popped into the kampa stand told them it was leaking they gave me a large spray can of sealent. Sprayed it up and now appears to be ok.

An update on mine. I tried the Kampa spray on it & it made no difference but trying to get a good coverage using an aerosol outside isn’t easy. I then used Fabsil Gold applied with a brush, much more controllable and it actually soaked through to the other side. Typically after doing it it didn’t rain when we were away so I’ll see if the weather tests it at Easter.

Just to be the devils advocate on this, we have the air 400 and it has been great. You surely have to expect some condensation in an awning but I must admit from the photos that is a leak.

Bailey Pegasus Bologna / BMW 530d F11 M-Sport

25 minutes ago, cockneychris said:

Just to be the devils advocate on this, we have the air 400 and it has been great. You surely have to expect some condensation in an awning but I must admit from the photos that is a leak.

The newer ones do seem fine, but those from 2016/2017 seem to be the ones with issues.  Ours is a 2017 model and when it rained hard you could watch the rain soaking through the actual material, not the seams.

2 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

The newer ones do seem fine, but those from 2016/2017 seem to be the ones with issues.  Ours is a 2017 model and when it rained hard you could watch the rain soaking through the actual material, not the seams.

As we've recently bought a new one we'll keep our fingers and toes crossed then. :rolleyes:

I have a 2015 model and yes to condensation,sometimes, but never had a leak.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

We've had 5 seasons out of our 260 Rally but latterly it has leaked through the seam above the windows. The roof is beginning to wear thin so I've just bought a Royal of similar style but 4000 waterproof rating. First use will be Easter and I'll report back.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

6 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

Typically after doing it it didn’t rain when we were away so I’ll see if the weather tests it at Easter.

Maybe thats how it works.

Its magic (in my best Paul Daniels voice ):lol:

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this will work, if it does it's a FB video of ours leaking before I water proofed it:

https://www.facebook.com/gary.barnett.7/videos/10216988298038750/

On 13/04/2018 at 08:14, Hairyspinner said:

Also, some models of caravans have the fridge on the awning side, must be quite a lot of warm air coming out of the vents.  

I 've often wondered about the affects of the fridge vents being inside the awning, is it just heat or what about gas fumes ?

I don't think that any awning is air tight enough to be a problem with gas fumes. 

Gary B1969 I cant get to see the video. How bad is the water leaking in? I have the pro 400 and it leaks like a sieve, I dont get how a company say it's condensation when so many people are having the same problems. 

Has anyone had any success using fabsil? If so how do you proof the roof many thanks. 

23 hours ago, joanie said:

I 've often wondered about the affects of the fridge vents being inside the awning, is it just heat or what about gas fumes ?

If you think how small the flame is in a fridge then it’s clearly not going to be much of an issue either heat or fumes wise.

Remember that the only thing that warm air does is hold a bit more moisture, it DOESNT remove that moisture it just holds it in suspension. Once that warm air comes into contact with a cooler surface that moisture condenses out onto the cold surface.

If you spend the evening in your awning then you are going to exhale a fair bit of moisture that remains in the (warm) air. Overnight the air inside the awning cools, so is unable to keep the moisture in suspension!! In addition don’t underestimate the amount of moisture that is “given up” from the ground overnight. 

The above is EXACTLY what an awning that’s pitched over grass does overnight!! Which is with its vital to ensure an awning is very well ventilated overnight. Of course the above DOESNT cover leaking due to rain!

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

If you think how small the flame is in a fridge then it’s clearly not going to be much of an issue either heat or fumes wise.

:Thankyou:

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

It doesn't take a very big flame with incomplete combustion can produce quite enough carbon monoxide to kill people

2 hours ago, Guzzilazz said:

It doesn't take a very big flame with incomplete combustion can produce quite enough carbon monoxide to kill people

I suspect that the caravan, and awning, manufacturers have done their homework rather thoroughly on this matter don’t you? 

Anyway this thread is about condensation not CO.

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills