Kampa Awning - leaking or condensation?

redruth12345

Message added by CT Advertising,

Hello,

I am about to get in contact with Kampa about our awning which has always caused us problems. We have had it less than a year and have had issues with it soaking the lining and then dripping on our chairs. It only happens during wet weather. Just wondering if they are going to play the 'condensation card!' What do you think?

Thanks

20170728_084528.jpg

20170728_084536.jpg

20170728_084542.jpg

20170728_084547.jpg

20170728_090311.jpg

Well we use a Kampa 260 pro awning, also with the liner, and even in November/ December with heavy rain have never seen that! The roof needs resealing!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

We had a new one in August 2016, used in once in the September at the new forest on a hardstanding, despite leaving the panel slightly open at the top for ventilation, our awning was as bad as yours.

Took in back to dealer and brought another Isabella, dry as a bone.

• Like 1

2023 Suzuki Across Hybrid and 2016 Swift Conqueror 480 HT

What size is the awning and do you use the monsoon poles for the roof?

It could be the pooling of water on the roof that is overcoming the static head of the material and pushing through.

Our standard (non air) Rally Ace 400 would pool if we didn't have the additional roof poles, once fitted we had no problems whatsoever.

We have a Kampa AirPro 260 (2016) we get the normal drips in the morning,but find that after heavy rain water pools on the roof part,have to push off using a broom

2013 Bailey Unicorn Cadiz  pulled by a Landrover Freelander 2 / VW Passat Estate 2.0 Blue Motion

38 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

What size is the awning and do you use the monsoon poles for the roof?

It could be the pooling of water on the roof that is overcoming the static head of the material and pushing through.

Our standard (non air) Rally Ace 400 would pool if we didn't have the additional roof poles, once fitted we had no problems whatsoever.

We have the 330 Air and suffer severe pooling, when we had the standard 330 we used the Monsoon Poles and had no problem, I did not realise that Kampa supply Monsoon Poles for Air Models, I will have a peep on their web site 

Les

Same problem with mine. Water pooled on the roof then leaked. Got up this morning and my trainers were full of water. It seems the hold water better than the Kampa roof.

On 1/26/2018 at 11:46, Les Medes said:

We have the 330 Air and suffer severe pooling, when we had the standard 330 we used the Monsoon Poles and had no problem, I did not realise that Kampa supply Monsoon Poles for Air Models, I will have a peep on their web site 

Sorry GrandpaSteve, I misread your post and replied  without reading it properly, that will teach me  !!

Les

It  looks like leakage to me.    We have a Kampa Airace 400 and have never had a problem like that.   I thought that the linings were meant to stop condensation!

Elddis Advante 540 2010 Coachman Pastiche 575 2016 and Ford Kuga 4x4 Mazda CX5 2016

15 hours ago, meone said:

It  looks like leakage to me.    We have a Kampa Airace 400 and have never had a problem like that.   I thought that the linings were meant to stop condensation!

The liner just sops it up so that it evaporates during the day. Trouble with ours was that it also leaked so it was always damp at best, dripping the rest of the time. Got shot of it pronto.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Had exactly same problem,took back to dealer and bought an Isabella magnum

• Like 1

We had exactly the same problem and I have reproofed it myself as it was out of warranty. I haven't  tried it yet so watch this space.

If from recolection the Kampa is made of 150/300 denier. but awnings like  Issabella magnums are 600+. But with this in mind we had a vango in 2016 new,but i could not get it into the awning rail on my own as it was very heavy being a 420 air was 35kg. So there is a pro and con,  heavier is ideal if you have the payloads etc or sited. but alot may suffer. Or go a size smaller for weight saving if convenient.

Incidently we exchanged the Vango for a kampa 330 air and is 21kg, but (touching wood) we have not had any leak or condensation and was out in the big storm last year at easter and it stood up well too.

65 volvo geartronic se nav, 2016 buccaneer cruiser, 2017 buccaneer commadore, 2018 swift kon-tiki 669 auto, 2015 range rover 3. 0 sdv6 autobiography dynamic auto

reproofed mine using the isabella stuff, needed a couple of goes but despite some epic downpours in france stayed dry.

Last year we had a Outdoor Revolution Esprit which we used during June and July when it was red hot with no rain and the roof was dripping every morning, we were on hard standing. We had Isabella for 30 years and never had any condensation but it was breathable. For other reasons we sold our Esprit and now have a Kampa Ace Air All season which is breathable so we shall see.

13 hours ago, Bradlek said:

Had exactly same problem,took back to dealer and bought an Isabella magnum

Isabella magnum, great choice Bradlek

• Like 1

Les

• 1 month later...

We are also having trouble with Kampa awning 'condensation',  we can paddle in our 'condensation',  Over £1000 spent on awning only to get wet through, couldn't sit in there, wet head and wet feet!!! Our friends bought smaller awning (kampa) with no issues. It has been back to them and they said they resealed it, we have just used it again and our pool is back, so more phone calls. It looks like yours Redruth12345, only happens when its raining, we understand condensation happens but not pouring through. Kampa are sending us some sealing spray, we will see what happens .

With any awning, it's important to allow the warmer, humid air inside to escape to the outside, or condensation will occur when the outside temperature is colder than that inside.

The only way to do that is to open whatever vents you can, particularly those at high level. If you can also open something low down, so much the better. Perhaps pull back a section of the skirt under the van?

Why is the air inside the awning warm? 

Because of the heat being lost through the van walls and windows, plus solar gain through the awning windows.

• Like 1

If this was happening during dry periods as well as rain you might have suspected condensation, depending on the time of year.  

That certainly looks more like a leak.  

I bought a used Kampa 260 air, to see if I liked the concept, and on the whole I did, but I didn't appreciate the wet seats the next day due to condensation.  I then started to wonder why my previous poled awning (Eurocamp) never suffered like it, of course it was down to the material used.  

I've since changed to a Kampa Classic air, which is breathable (also heavier), and my first test of it was this Easters bank holiday weekend, so it got a good test in the heavy and consistent rain! Everything remained water tight and condensation free (tried with and without roof vents open). I did also use a tarp under floor tiles, so that might have helped moisture from the ground lifting too.

59 minutes ago, Mk2Chopper said:

If this was happening during dry periods as well as rain you might have suspected condensation, depending on the time of year.  

That certainly looks more like a leak.  

I bought a used Kampa 260 air, to see if I liked the concept, and on the whole I did, but I didn't appreciate the wet seats the next day due to condensation.  I then started to wonder why my previous poled awning (Eurocamp) never suffered like it, of course it was down to the material used.  

I've since changed to a Kampa Classic air, which is breathable (also heavier), and my first test of it was this Easters bank holiday weekend, so it got a good test in the heavy and consistent rain! Everything remained water tight and condensation free (tried with and without roof vents open). I did also use a tarp under floor tiles, so that might have helped moisture from the ground lifting too.

I am pleased you enjoyed your Classic, we are waiting to try our All Season which is also breathable.

We had a lot of roof leaking problems on our Kampa 330 air, the roof liner filled with water once, then all of a sudden dumped it, just missing my son in law! Was resealed by dealer then Kampa, still leaked. I’d paid for it on my card & finished up rejecting it. We’ve now got an Ace Air 400, & touch wood it’s not leaked. You have to be careful when erecting these awnings that it’s pegged out such that you get a good slope on the roof. Pitches that slope up & away from the caravan can be quite tricky to get the awning pitched so that water runs off without pooling. I believe some caravanners have raised the  caravan to help.  

On 08/04/2018 at 10:09, solarpower said:

I am pleased you enjoyed your Classic, we are waiting to try our All Season which is also breathable.

It didn't occur to me before about the importance of the material, good that I'd experienced a proper breathable awning before or I might have accepted that's how it is.  

Good luck with your new awning, it should work well.  

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 02:26, daveat92 said:

With any awning, it's important to allow the warmer, humid air inside to escape to the outside, or condensation will occur when the outside temperature is colder than that inside.

The only way to do that is to open whatever vents you can, particularly those at high level. If you can also open something low down, so much the better. Perhaps pull back a section of the skirt under the van?

Because of the heat being lost through the van walls and windows, plus solar gain through the awning windows.

Hi

That is a very sensible post

On 6 April 2018 at 02:26, daveat92 said:

Also, some models of caravans have the fridge on the awning side, must be quite a lot of warm air coming out of the vents.