Insurance Renewal

Thought i would comment on my experience today with renewing my caravan insurance today.

So we have a 2017 Buccaneer Cruiser which we insured with Towergate last February - cost last year was £327.  Renewal received a couple of weeks ago - cost to renew for the same caravan, but a year older - £385, a £55 point increase for no improvement in cover.  Decided to shop around (which i normally do in any case for any insurance).

Lifesure came back with a quote of £277 for pretty much the same level of cover.

Towergate ring me today to see if i am happy with my quote and if so, would i like to renew.  I say no because i have found it cheaper elsewhere.  Ensuing conversation goes along the lines of

TG: Is it for the same level of cover

Me: Yes

TG: What are the excess levels

Me: i tell him what is included in my Life sure quote

TG: Is it still New for old

TG: Ok, that is pretty much the same, let me see what we can do

30 seconds later

TG: The closest we can get to it for the same level of cover that you currently have is £281, is that ok.

Me: Yes, that's acceptable

Reduced the premium by over £100 in 30 seconds, if they can do that without any perceived problems, why can't they offer the better price in the first instance.  (I know why - it's a rhetorical question - profit driven).

Alan

Buccaneer Cruiser 2017 - Jeep Grand Cherokee

One day i hope to have enough money to live the life my wife lives.

24 minutes ago, WelshAl said:

Thought i would comment on my experience today with renewing my caravan insurance today.

So we have a 2017 Buccaneer Cruiser which we insured with Towergate last February - cost last year was £327.  Renewal received a couple of weeks ago - cost to renew for the same caravan, but a year older - £385, a £55 point increase for no improvement in cover.  Decided to shop around (which i normally do in any case for any insurance).

Lifesure came back with a quote of £277 for pretty much the same level of cover.

Towergate ring me today to see if i am happy with my quote and if so, would i like to renew.  I say no because i have found it cheaper elsewhere.  Ensuing conversation goes along the lines of

TG: Is it for the same level of cover

TG: What are the excess levels

Me: i tell him what is included in my Life sure quote

TG: Is it still New for old

TG: Ok, that is pretty much the same, let me see what we can do

30 seconds later

TG: The closest we can get to it for the same level of cover that you currently have is £281, is that ok.

Me: Yes, that's acceptable

Reduced the premium by over £100 in 30 seconds, if they can do that without any perceived problems, why can't they offer the better price in the first instance.  (I know why - it's a rhetorical question - profit driven).

Alan

That really annoys me from any supplier, but when it's your existing renewal I'll walk away unless it'll cost me too much - in your example, I'd have switched.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

I recently cancelled my insurance on an old car I ran. That cost £40! I had no choice but to accept the charge as the operator said I will have been made aware of the cost when I took out the insurance 8 months ago! Thanks Tesco. :angry:

BMW X6 M50D + Buccaneer Schooner 2017

I've just had an email this morning about renewing our caravan insurance.   We too were with Towergate, then last year it was way above what it was previously, so we switched to Peacock Insurance.   Don't yet know what the quote is yet, but I will shop around if its gone through the roof again.   Like BG said, it too annoys me when they up the price then can do it for less when you say you are going elsewhere.   They need a grounding in keeping customers not trying to rip them off:angry:

Our Caravan & Motorhome renewal quote is up just £6 on last year. I have got a few more quotes, but they are all dearer, so we’re happy to stay with them.  

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2017 Coachman Pastiche 565.