Sign in to follow this  
bazzeruk

Barbeque for two

Our Cadac carri chef is around 12yrs old now & I was thinking about upgrading for a new one at the show this weekend but as the wife pointed out “what’s wrong with that one” 

we use it as a pan on legs for lots of dishes that we’d rather not cook in the caravan due to smell & space, curry, meatballs, spag-Bol, full breakfasts etc

but if it’s a BBQ we want the a Weber go anywhere comes out, cracking little BBQ, packs down small & cleaning is easy 

I’ve even started using it at home if there is only the two of us 

A lot of people like cadac's me Im not a fan, the wind blew the gas back onto the jet.

cadac.jpg

A few peopleseem to have problems with Cadac’s (go on you know you want to).  Did I read somewhere that you can use a toilet roll as a shield for the jet and burner?

1 minute ago, fred said:

A few people seem to have problems with Cadac’s (go on you know you want to).  Did I read somewhere that you can use a toilet roll as a shield for the jet and burner?

Dont know about using a toilet roll as a sheild but If your caravan catches fire you will need one

• Haha 2

The late Shipbroker (Geoff) lost a caravan when he had a fire using a Cadac.   

On 23/01/2018 at 19:07, penman said:

For several years we have used a Weber Smokey Joe its not cheap  but will last for years. Charcoal is best IMO having used several gas and charcoal types I find the Weber is by far the best for cooking and cleaning.

Just bought a Smokey Joe Premium off ebay. New for £50 including postage. Fancied cooking on coals. Less than 5kg and only takes up a small space. Good for two but could cook enough for four on. Looking forward to trying it.

3 hours ago, TonyandKaren said:

Just bought a Smokey Joe Premium off ebay. New for £50 including postage. Fancied cooking on coals. Less than 5kg and only takes up a small space. Good for two but could cook enough for four on. Looking forward to trying it.

We have one and it can be carried in the front locker in the caravan.  Brilliant piece of kit!

Just remember that in the summer, there aren't many places in Europe where you're allowed to use a charcoal BBQ.

5 minutes ago, PandR said:

Just remember that in the summer, there aren't many places in Europe where you're allowed to use a charcoal BBQ.

We never ever had that problem at the any of the campsites where we stayed in France or Spain and wesued the BBQ most nights.  :D

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

We never ever had that problem at the any of the campsites where we stayed in France or Spain and wesued the BBQ most nights.  :D

Same here, in our case France and Italy. That is bar one small  site in Provence where no charcoal BBQ's were allowed in the actual pitching area as they were amongst the trees.

The site provided a communal one away from the trees.  Being a small site it worked quite well and often we ended up sharing the coals (and a few beers!) with other campers.

I always check with a site we intend to stay on if charcoal BBQ's are allowed.

Can't beat the old disposal charcoal ones.  I buy about half a dozen for a normal 2 week holiday.  So when I arrive at a nice spot, first thing after putting up the unit.  Find something to put it on, so it doesn't burn anything underneath.  The best thing about these?  No washing afterwards:D

28 minutes ago, Babstreefern said:

Can't beat the old disposal charcoal ones.  I buy about half a dozen for a normal 2 week holiday.  So when I arrive at a nice spot, first thing after putting up the unit.  Find something to put it on, so it doesn't burn anything underneath.  The best thing about these?  No washing afterwards:D

They are good for lack of mess.

I used to have one of these and most disposable BBQ's were a perfect fit.

https://www.longacres.co.uk/outdoor-living/barbecues/bbqs-charcoal/landmann-portago-portable-charcoal-bbq-red-11526/

19 hours ago, Babstreefern said:

Not very environmentally friendly and yet to find that that can cook a rump steak to perfection.  With our Weber Smoky Joe we chuck the ash and keep the lumps left over for the next BBQ.

I have a Weber Q1200 which is fantastic, I previously (it’s still in the garage) had a smokey joe and whilst I’m a big Weber fan (I have 4) the smokey joe just didn’t cut it. The air vents are above the charcoal grate which means It can’t pull the air to the coals which means it just never gets hot enough. I even did the mod of putting a Weber daisy wheel in the bottom and drilling the appropriate holes, it still didn’t do the job. The Q does everything I ask and with the aid of a small cooling rack and a double layer of foil with some holes poked it in allows me to roast and cook slow and low(ish).

Having seen the cadac I can see why they are popular but in my eyes they are an out door gas hob, not a BBQ grill.

I'm looking to get the Weber Go Anywhere in the next couple of months

1 minute ago, Chromedome73 said:

I'm looking to get the Weber Go Anywhere in the next couple of months

This is the one we currently have. (The charcoal not gas version).

Only down side really is the lack of grill height adjustment  but I tend to have the heat at one end cook with indirect heat. This works if you are cooking for a couple but it doesnt work so well if cooking for more.

Its compact and neat though.

Best price we found at the time last year was here. But its 20 quid more than I paid for it now.

https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/weber-barbecues/charcoal/weber-go-anywhere-charcoal-bbq.asp

The good thing about Webers is the ease with which you can get spares. Ive just bought a new grill for mine because I left it in the grass on a CL last year. 🙄

19 hours ago, The Happy Gnome said:

Best price we found at the time last year was here. But its 20 quid more than I paid for it now.

https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/weber-barbecues/charcoal/weber-go-anywhere-charcoal-bbq.asp

The good thing about Webers is the ease with which you can get spares. Ive just bought a new grill for mine because I left it in the grass on a CL last year. 🙄

Does it fit okay in the front locker.

24 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Does it fit okay in the front locker.

Yes it would although I dont carry it there.

Fior a proper BBQ rather than a gas or electric grill i have found these to be good

https://www.primrose.co.uk/-p-54745.html?adtype=pla&kwd=&gclid=Cj0KCQiAv8PyBRDMARIsAFo4wK29E4F3kdttyAqh2i285Hzn3fmv2k-9umA7XYu7lDIZsKiITbrzKtsaAu2SEALw_wcB

Can be used for just two but if more people just start using the 2nd section - we have had our for 10+ years

I am very surprised at the number of contributors who cite "cooking smells" as justification for using outdoor cooking appliances.

Food preparation and cooking is all carried out in my 4 metre long caravan. Full English breakfasts, curries, onions, garlic and smelly fish is prepared and consumed in the 'van. I do not use any air fresheners in the caravan though I dispose of all food waste at the earliest opportunity. The dishes are washed as soon after the meal as practicable with a drop of Dettol added to the dish water.

In Summer there is high level of ventilation through the caravan, which will obviously help minimise odours, though in Winter only minimal ventilation is used.

Forthright friends and relatives with very sensitive noses have visited without detecting any smells.