Sign in to follow this  
jessdale

A6 allroad v freelander sd4 v xc60 v Audi q5

6 minutes ago, xtrailman said:

They also get given cars that are fully loaded, especially the German makes, so a standard car is never compared.

That applies to JLR as well!

I think for me it would be a toss up between the Volvo and the Audi Q5. Both are good cars for towing and if it was me I think I would choose the Volvo, as I have the XC90, because I find Volvo seats to be the most comfortable around. If I was you I would try and get a test drive in both of these cars and see which suits you best. And which has the best figures for towing ie noseweight etc. The A6 is a nice car but if your wife is used to and feels better in a higher car then the Allroad in my opinion would be too low.   

That's a nice choice I like all three, allroad has air which I find comfortable.

There is someone with a newish a6 allroad that tows a twin axle, so should be more than capable given your weight.

My ex boss bought a sport with all options and the detachable tow bar stuck out, Not as good as his old Alltrack press a button out folds the tow bar.

On 23/01/2018 at 19:59, jessdale said:

Due to some rule changes I can now lease a discovery sport through work. I currently lease the Audi q3. So I may go down this route 

One thing I did discover when looking at Audi vs LR some Audi diesels require an engine mod along with the towbar if its not a factory  order. I was quoted about £1450 from a local Audi dealer to fit a towbar to a Q5 diesel. Not doing it could have an effect on your warranty.

3 minutes ago, PaulR said:

One thing I did discover when looking at Audi vs LR some Audi diesels require an engine mod along with the towbar if its not a factory  order. I was quoted about £1450 from a local Audi dealer to fit a towbar to a Q5 diesel. Not doing it could have an effect on your warranty.

It's worth finding out what the "modification" involves - for some VW Group cars, it's a higher-rated cooling fan to cope with long Alpine ascents in high summer - my own Touareg has a 3,500 kg towing limit so I can't imagine the less powerful fan being unable to cope with <2,000 kg - althogh mine was a factory order so gets the higher-rated fan as part of the Towbar option cost.

2 hours ago, german in the blood said:

My ex boss bought a sport with all options and the detachable tow bar stuck out, Not as good as his old Alltrack press a button out folds the tow bar.

I was always sceptical about detachable towbars, but now having a factory one on the XC60, I think it's brilliant

It stays clean and dry in the boot till needed, so won't get unsightly rust like all the previous flange towbars I've had (yes, the bit it fixes to will, but that's out of sight)

Not sure how the 'folding' towbars cope with that - I assume the're still 'out in the elements' even if tucked away under the bumper

3 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

That applies to JLR as well!

They are all usually top of the range vehicles, but one that sticks in my mind was a Merc GLE 350 that we tested. Base price of the car, c.£45,000, but ‘as tested’ (the spec sheet was left with the car) £73,000 which included £8,000 of suspension enhancements alone!

Edited by nigel207
Corrections

2 minutes ago, nigel207 said:

They are usually top of the range vehicles, but we once tested (amongst many others) a Merc GLE 350. Base price of the car, c.£45,000, but ‘as tested” (the spec sheet was left with the car) £73,000 which include £8,000 of suspension enhancements!

Unless you're on a rigid budget, as most car buyers are, it's very easy to get carried away with the option list - but once you get above about £40,000 basic even that's cheaper than going up to a more expensive model with all the features you want as standard :o

I've driven - but not towed with - 3 out of the 4 - the freelancer being the one I've not had a go in recently.  

Was impressed by all 3, but given the choice  I'd have the A6 all road.  

Well got a freelander2 had it 3 yrs never missed a beat, pulls the van 

without any fuss, rock solid on the the motorway,gonna struggle to replace it

Another vote for the Freelander 2  SD4 Auto, here. Had ours for coming up to 2 years now, only problem was a sticking EGR valve, repaired under warranty. Superb comfortable towcar.  

23 hours ago, david128 said:

Not sure how the 'folding' towbars cope with that - I assume the're still 'out in the elements' even if tucked away under the bumper

We have a folder and it's still new and shiny looking so I think they must be well out of the elements, at least on BMW

I have an XC60 D4 auto, nice car to drive and tows our van effortlessly 

My choice was down to a 3 litre A6 Allroad and an 2. 4 D5 215bhp XC60 and I opted for the Volvo after I test drove both. Found the Volvo more comfortable and I like being higher up. Our caravan is 1500kg fully laden and the Volvo pulls it with ease. The 5 cylinder engine has loads of torque and is one of the best engines available. Very highly regarded by mechanics. The Audi is a great car and also has a quality interior and plenty of power but for me, the Volvo ticked all the boxes.

Edited by Brankster
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Brankster said:

My choice was down to a 3 litre A6 Allroad and an 2. 4 D5 215bhp XC60 and I opted for the Volvo after I test drove both. Found the Volvo more comfortable and I like being higher up. Our caravan is 1500kg fully laden and the Volvo pulls it with ease. The 5 cylinder engine has loads of torque and is one of the best engines available. Very highly regarded by mechanics. The Audi is a great car and also has a quality interior and plenty of power but for me, the Volvo ticked all the boxes.

It will go on for years too. My old Volvo with the same engine is still going strong  some 14yrs old and 190k miles on the clock

• Like 1