A6 allroad v freelander sd4 v xc60 v Audi q5

These are the vehicles I have narrowed our search to for towing our 1459 caravan. Depending on costs it would be 2013-2014 year car. Any owners reviews would be very welcome. Please do not reply with recommendations about ANY other vehicles. Thanks 

Edited by jessdale

We have just bought a replacement 4x4 tow car and whilst researching I spoke to several mechanics who are involved in service and repairs of such vehicles and of the vehicles you listed the only one I was told to avoid was the Freelander. In fact I was advised to avoid all L/Rover vehicles on reliability grounds as I was initially looking at Range Rovers.

Gordon

31 minutes ago, Gordon7912 said:

We have just bought a replacement 4x4 tow car and whilst researching I spoke to several mechanics who are involved in service and repairs of such vehicles and of the vehicles you listed the only one I was told to avoid was the Freelander. In fact I was advised to avoid all L/Rover vehicles on reliability grounds as I was initially looking at Range Rovers.

Gordon

Ill support you on that, I had three Freelanders, two were replaced by LR, never again, that is my problem as there are a lot of happy Freelander owners out there

Les

I would say that out of the 4 listed, there is nothing much between 3 of them (forget the Freelander) as they are all extremely good cars. Out of the 3 cars it dep. ends entirely on condition/mileage.  

Ern

Choose between the Audi's - their chassis/suspension dynamics are considerably more capable than the LR or Volvo

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

1 minute ago, Black Grouse said:

Choose between the Audi's - their chassis/suspension dynamics are considerably more capable than the LR or Volvo

Thanks. We currently have a q3 but need something heavier. We will test drive the A6 allroad 1st to see if my Mrs struggles getting in if it’s too low, she is better with the suv height to be honest 

+1 (more) for avoiding the Freelander. I'm making a similar search to you at the moment, looking for a 4x4 that will tow a decent caravan yet still return good economy on the daily commute, with what sounds like a similar budget. I had included both Freelander and Evoque on my list (the latter probably being my favourite)  but the mechanic at our local garage who looks after my current car warned against either of the LR vehicles, both have appalling reliability issues. He usually knows what he's talking about.

Both me and my brother in law have had A6's, and both had major problems with them so for me Audi is out too meaning I'm leaning towards an XC60 or two others, not on your list so i'll not mention them here (not only as you asked people not to, but you might beat me to the ones I'm looking at!)

Edited by PMW

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

I don't know what price range you are shopping in but I had a Sept 2011 Freelander manual and had two warrenty issues in 2years & 44k miles, previously I did have a mk1 only had one issue needing a drive shaft in 40k miles in <2 years.   I have been informed the 2009 Freelanders were the best made a friend has one with 70K on it with very little issues.

I've just taken delivery if a Discovery Sport after test driving the Q5 an excellent road car with AWD. But it won't do what the LR can.   One thing I can say the Freelander's both were excellent tow cars and do the business in snow or mud including with a caravan on he back

Can only help re. the XC60. Like my D5 AWD auto very much. If you can run to a '14 facelift version the instruments are a bit nicer than the older ones.  

43 minutes ago, PaulR said:

I don't know what price range you are shopping in but I had a Sept 2011 Freelander manual and had two warrenty issues in 2years & 44k miles, previously I did have a mk1 only had one issue needing a drive shaft in 40k miles in <2 years.   I have been informed the 2009 Freelanders were the best made a friend has one with 70K on it with very little issues.

I've just taken delivery if a Discovery Sport after test driving the Q5 an excellent road car with AWD. But it won't do what the LR can.   One thing I can say the Freelander's both were excellent tow cars and do the business in snow or mud including with a caravan on he back

Comparing nominal off-road capabilities is pointless IF you don't use them - when I had my Hyundai Santa Fe it was pointed out that my Santa Fe would go anywhere a sensible owner would take a Range Rover - the RR clearly has much, much more off-road capability than the Hyundai but the extra isn't needed for the school run, towing a caravan down a motorway or even towing a caravan off a wet grass field.

But if you do use then (as I do) my comments have every point. The OP did not specify what other use the requirement of a 4x4  was needed.

But he did specifically ask for owners reviews.

I remember a road test that top gear did on mid size 4x4s some years ago. The X Trail won based largely on it's performance on the track. It was pretty useless on the off road test they did. I thought at the time what stupid test. How many people do you see heading for track days in a Freelander / CRV / Xtrail or similar? Likewise, very few people will ever seriously use them off road. Mine does the odd gravel track but without AT tyres I wouldn't want to start trekking across ploughed fields etc 

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

I can’t speak for the others on your list but I love my Freelander2. Comfortable, very capable in all conditions and tows very well indeed.  Just collected it from its 5 year service and mot. No faults, no advisories, same as normal.  It’s our 2nd one, in nearly 9 years and 100 odd thousand miles of owning them, the only fault has been with the boot release switch on my current one. Took about 10 mins and 20 quid to sort it if I remember rightly.  

The A6 bitdi Allroad was on my short list but eventually decided it was too big. SQ5 has more or less the same grunt but takes up quite a bit less real estate, it's a cracking drive both solo and towing and I quite like the elevated view.  I'm pretty sure the 3. 0tdi Q5s will also make an excellent towcar and, following yesterday's latest emissions recall,  suspect the residuals of all 3. 0tdi VAG vehicles will be taking another hit  - could be a good time to buy.

If Audi offered a bitdi A4 allroad that would probably have gotten my vote though.  

Hymer 545 Luxusline hauled by Audi SQ5 plus.

Had two happy years with a 2015 XC60 D5 AWD Auto.   Covered 40000 trouble free miles, probably 5000 of those towing 1500Kg.   No reliability issues.   A powerful and stable towcar.   Was very pleased with it.

Now have a V60 Cross Country D4 AWD Auto which is equally good.

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

1 hour ago, Steve05 said:

If Audi offered a bitdi A4 allroad that would probably have gotten my vote though.  

I can thoroughly recommend the Passat Alltrack.    :)

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

I'll be interested in your view on the two, my son has a Q3 s-line loaded with all the goodies (against my advise) my big thing against was the Q3 was boot size & 80kg on the tow bar. But a fab car but my LR took 1st place during recent deep snow. Both excellent but different.   But for very fast road use the Q3 with the dynamic suspension set to sport takes some topping.

Edited by PaulR
26 minutes ago, PaulR said:

I'll be interested in your view on the two, my son has a Q3 s-line loaded with all the goodies (against my advise) my big thing against was the Q3 was boot size & 80kg on the tow bar. But a fab car but my LR took 1st place during recent deep snow. Both excellent but different.   But for very fast road use the Q3 with the dynamic suspension set to sport takes some topping.

Often, the disimilar tyres account for such differences - magazine group tests are notorious for not comparing like-for-like

1 hour ago, PaulR said:

Not interested in fast performance to be honest. I just want a car that will boss the caravan, be reliable and be a nice everyday vehicle.  

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 20:53, Black Grouse said:

Often, the disimilar tyres account for such differences - magazine group tests are notorious for not comparing like-for-like

They also get given cars that are fully loaded, especially the German makes, so a standard car is never compared.