On 7th November 2017 I sent the enclosed letter of rejection to the dealer (name not included) who supplied our new caravan.

Complaint about faulty goods/ Final rejection of faulty goods

We bought a 2017 Lunar Delta RI from you on 7th July 2017. We paid £xx,xxx.

From the date of collection there has been a series of problems with the vehicle, some of which you have attempted to repair, some are awaiting parts for further repair and some are still appearing. Among the faults we have had or have now are:

Faults on the water system:

Onboard tank did not fill (PSU changed)

Onboard tank level indicators do not reflect the true level

Onboard tank pump runs intermittently when taps are closed

Onboard tank does not switch to external tank when empty

Outside pump failed (replaced)

Kitchen sink drains very slowly

Bathroom sink waste leaks into cupboard causing damage to cupboard

Shower waste was not connected to shower tray (refitted by us)

External shower cover cannot be removed

Faults on the electrical system:

Alarm unit failed (replaced)

Alarm raises alerts to Phantom for no valid reason

Alarm klaxon is very quiet

Alarm does not always sound klaxon when activated

Status aerial blows fuses for no obvious reason

Bedroom striplight not working

Fuse on PSU shown as unused but allocated to installed circuits

Faults in build quality:

Work surface edging strips separating on all lounge surfaces (glued and still faulty)

Laminate edging strips on lounge furniture coming loose

Front skylight blind sticking

Screw covers not fitted in bedroom

Shower door fell off (refitted by us)

Screw cover missing from door surround

Long rooflight opening mechanism erratic

Gas locker door has sharp edges causing cut fingers

Coaxial leads to status aerial have cable damaging bends and strained connectors

Lunar documentation faults:

Status aerial fuse position not identified

User instructions for onboard tank system inadequate – does not explain the functions of the system to confirm correct operation – describes automatic switch over from onboard tank to external supply

Outside fridge/freezer vents calls for winter covers – none supplied

Window and rooflight opening instructions refer to safety push buttons – none fitted

Whilst recognising that you have attempted to rectify some of the faults above, we have lost confidence in the caravan and in your ability to obtain support from Lunar to bring this particular vehicle up to the standard that we expect from a new, top of the range caravan. Replacement work surfaces ordered in July by your service department have not yet been supplied and technical advice from Lunar has failed to clear faults. The months since the purchase have been stressful, worrying and frustrating – a far cry from our expected experience, and we do not relish this situation continuing into a second season. After weeks of consideration and consultation with Citizens Advice on numerous occasions, we have decided that we have to exercise our right to formally reject the vehicle, in accordance with the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 goods you supply must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described. As there were problems with the vehicle when we bought it (i. e within 6 months of supply), and attempts to repair have not corrected the problems, we have the right to reject the goods. In order to settle this issue we request that you provide us with a new replacement vehicle, fault free and within a mutually agreed timescale. If this is not possible a full and immediate refund of the cost of all goods purchased will be requested and compensation may be sought.

Please respond within 7 days of receiving this letter.

The response from the dealership was that they had not had sufficient opportunity  (two visits to site) to carry out repairs and that a replacement or refund would be a non starter as their and Lunar's legal departments would "fight you all the way". I felt bullied into accepting a repair programme but reluctantly agreed to allowing collection and repairs during the winter months on the understanding that I reserve  the right to reject.  

As so many of the faults shown are being openly discussed on this site the manufacturers must be aware of the issues yet continue to supply products that are not fit for purpose, ignoring the effects on the end user. My contract is with the dealer yet the strings are pulled by the manufacturer, controlling warranty repair authorisations, parts supply and, it seems, consumer law cases. I have written on three separate occasions to the CEO of Lunar expressing concerns over supply quality and had no personal reply,  only two delegated responses from the Head of Commercial Services that only address the outstanding warranty claims and refer me back to the dealer. These responses (or lack of) indicate that caravan manufacturers are contemptuous of the buying public and, unwilling to discuss any concerns you have, they hide behind the dealership networks and continue to produce the same shoddy goods regardless.

Do any members have similar experiences?

• Like 1
  • I do not understand 1
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm only in the profession and as there are apparently so many experts on here, what do I know.

Can we stand back a bit from the rants please. The law says your dealer is responsible. If they do not provide satisfaction within the terms of CRA then reject. There should be no need to work yo

If you can provide evidence of others you have successfully asked on this forum for their qualifications then I'd be happy to assist e. g. engineers, lorry drivers, business owners and managers. Oth

All I can say is that we had a few little problems with our 2016 Delta, a few of which you mention, but we have fixed everything, except -

1. a few very stiff blinds, replaced under warranty.  It took about 3 months to get the replacements but this suited our travel plans.

2. Problems with the onboard water tank.  The PCU was replaced under warranty but didn't make any difference.  Lunar's instructions are dreadful.   We spoke to Sargent about the problems and they gave us lots of advice and a decent set of instructions.  I have just fitted sleeving to the gauge sensors and for the first time I got spot on level readings, we'll see if this continues as we use the caravan during the year.

Apart from the above, we are delighted with the caravan and would most certainly buy another although from a different dealer.

Very sorry to hear of all your problems.

Thanks bubble2015,

Glad to hear you are satisfied with your Delta, my main concern is that Lunar (and others) get away with so much  by relying on us and the dealers doing repairs and modifications for them - these issues should be resolved before supply or when they are first alerted to a problem -to continue to supply caravans with the same faults ought to invoke some sort of retribution.   I was told at one stage that Lunar thought that the onboard tank may not be designed to switch when empty and that "in ten years dealing I have never seen one that auto switches" - guess what - the dealer's engineer now tells me that mine switches! So much for expertise!

2 hours ago, Derkbox said:

Do any members have similar experiences?

Sadly, yes

Two experiences; the first with  a new Bailey a couple of years ago, where a number of faults hadn't been fixed despite 3 months in the dealer's workshop. ...we ended up part-exchanging this van with the dealer for a new Coachman.

The Coachman leaked through the roof and had a number of faults, some related to the flooding, some not.   Entered into a protracted battle with the dealer and Coachman. ...eventually the major faults were corrected, either by the dealer, the factory or myself, but was still left with a nasty taste in the mouth over the whole battle, which ran for some 16 months before the dealer eventually closed down.

We ended up trading in the Coachman (we'll never have another, although we'd aspired to one for a long time) for another new Bailey.   The  latest Bailey has had a couple of minor faults, but this latest dealer (Farnham Leisure, near Saxmundham) has been first class in their handling - they collected the van from our home (100 mile round trip) , fixed it and returned it in a very short time and overall we remain extremely happy with our latest Bailey.

It's the 4th Bailey we've had and while it's a shame they can't make e'm as fault-free as the money we all spend on them I'm now utterly convinced the dealer is the vitally important link in the chain - find a good one (like Farnham Leisure) and you're home and dry (no pun intended!), but if you hit one who wriggles and squirms instead of supplying what we're entitled to, then it's no fun at all.

Commiserations and good wishes for a successful outcome.

Edited by Coriolis
typos
  • Like 1

Thanks Coriolis,

I feel sorry for the dealers. The one I am dealing with seem to be doing all they can (or are allowed to), the work surfaces took 3 months to be approved and a further 3 months to arrive at the dealer (supply chain?). The hourly rate they receive for warranty is half the normal rate charged to you and me and they get all the flack from the customers. Manufacturers sit back and refuse to change.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Derkbox said:

The response from the dealership was that they had not had sufficient opportunity  (two visits to site) to carry out repairs and that a replacement or refund would be a non starter as their and Lunar's legal departments would "fight you all the way". I felt bullied into accepting a repair programme but reluctantly agreed to allowing collection and repairs during the winter months on the understanding that I reserve  the right to reject.  

What a desperately sad reflection of the caravan industry this is . .. to include the comment "fight you all the way" as a response to your reasoned and patient comment is a simple disgrace. The caravan industry in the UK is nothing more than a cottage industry with lacks professionals at all levels. you have my support and sympathy in having to deal with such a dreadful outfit. Are you seeking legal representation, I think you should.  

Currently at the moment we have rejected our caravan, purchased at the end of September.

Dealer has had the chance to repair after the 28 day limit under the CRA

Fault was a leaking boiler predominantly however other niggling build quality issues, yet with the first chance of repair and a damp report of 50% dealer confident in that it will dry out naturally as the leak had been stopped.

Fast forward to today and the dealer visited my caravan to do an inspection for the manufacturer only to find that the moisture readings are now 70% . unforgivable !! on a van only a few months old.

Dealer now written a report apparently to the manufacturer and now waiting on a reply.

I will NOT accept a repair, as a repair will cause me to much inconvenience and i will have no confidence with a repaired new product and why should we ?

These manufacturers need to wake up to the fact that consumers are not going to sit back and accept third rate products for top money 

Luckily my friend is a solicitor and will advise me and help me to the third degree to make sure that i get a van i went in for and am not suitably recompensed for the stress and inconvenience .

I am hoping now to hearing from the dealer on their report of their condition of the caravan this week

Also they have said that this matter will be resolved within the next 4-8 weeks and i only hope and pray that it will and that i will get a replacement and something for the trouble and stress 

I wish you all the best in this and stand your ground DO NOT BE FOBBED OFF

Andy.   

We had the same with a few years ago with a motor home dealer stated Fiat and Autotrail would back them up in court, pure bull.

2020 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4  PHEV and 2016 Swift Conqueror 480 HT

12 minutes ago, fred said:

My advice would be to Lawyer up.  

Why? Trading Standards are the CRA enforcement authority. Report it to them, it's free!

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Derkbox said:

Thanks Coriolis,

I feel sorry for the dealers. The one I am dealing with seem to be doing all they can (or are allowed to), the work surfaces took 3 months to be approved and a further 3 months to arrive at the dealer (supply chain?). The hourly rate they receive for warranty is half the normal rate charged to you and me and they get all the flack from the customers. Manufacturers sit back and refuse to change.  

I don't know what caravan dealer warranty labour rates actually are - but my ACW mobile/fixed workshop who do my caravan servicing are also approved by Lunar and Bailey for repairs and quite happily take on warranty work, not sold by them as they don't sell caravans - my VW dealer isn't the original supplier but more than happy to take on my servicing, which is VW fixed price so less than normal retail and my warranty work - my previous Hyundai dealer were happy to do warranty work and negotiated on service charges.

So - why can't franchised caravan dealers make a profit on warranty work whether they sold the caravan or not - and why is their service charge higher than a mobile ACW.

I think the caravan industry is complacent on two counts - the manufacturers and the franchised dealers - they don't deserve the money we collectively give them.

• Thanks 1

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Derkbox 

My advice would be to now revert to “Social Media” (Facebook, Twitter etc) to air your grievance.  

My son has done this on a couple of occasions recently (nothing approaching the seriousness of your issue) after he failed to get any satisfaction from “Customer services” On each occasion the companies in question (large national variety) moved VERY swiftly to sort the problem out so they could be SEEN (on social media of course) to be the “Caring sharing” company they professed to be.  

Name and Shame via Facebook!!! (You have nothing to lose and everything to gain)

Andy

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

23 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

Why? Trading Standards are the CRA enforcement authority. Report it to them, it's free!

Because, that’s the way to win.  I believe that Henry Kissinger said, grab them by the balls and their Heart and minds will follow, if they are going to play hardball to you play hardball back    You may have access, to free advice through for instance a club, trade union or house insurance.   Don’t rely on well meaning advice from me or someone with a self aggrandising forum name.  Get professional advice,  you might not like what they say but at least they should give it to you straight.  

But then again what do I know?

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

Trading standards  appears these days to mean Citizens Advice Bureau, I have been speaking to them since last August, they have advised me of my rights under the CRA 2015, as have the lawyers through the Camping & Caravanning Club, but you are on your own after that. I know that I have the right to reject, to demand a replacement or refund - perhaps with compensation. My rights are due to faulty goods, goods not as described and goods not fit for purpose - choose any one of three criteria - but enforcing it seems to be down to supplier agreement or court where you are on your own. The prospect of taking a claim of this  magnitude to County Court is quite daunting!

If you pop along to your local county court you will find that they will be VERY helpful in giving you sound advice as to how you can proceed IF you decide to go down the litigation route.  

Andy

• Thanks 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

5 minutes ago, fred said:

Because, that’s the way to win.  I believe that Henry Kissinger said, grab them by the balls and their Heart and minds will follow, if they are going to play hardball to you play hardball back    You may have access, to free advice through for instance a club, trade union or house insurance.   Don’t rely on well meaning advice from me or someone with a self aggrandising forum name.  Get professional advice,  you might not like what they say but at least they should give it to you straight.  

I more or less agree with this. You are dealing with tough people who don’t fight by Queensbury Rules. Get a proper solicitor who will take them to the cleaners and recover all costs. Either do that or roll over.

Ern

What irks me most of all with these matters is the way we're bounced between the dealer and the factory (regardless of make).

We're talking about a new van, not a used one. ... if it's faulty, the dealer is supposed to fix it - the law says it's his responsibility.   I happen to think that if the factory builds a dud, the factory ought to fix it or replace it, but the laws says different.   I think that it's quite unfair on the dealer who is required to straighten out a fault not of his own making. ...nonetheless, the law says different.

Why oh why do we always hear the saga which starts with a complaint to the dealer, who then goes back to see if the factory will accept the warranty claim???

Under the law it's the dealer's sole responsibility to remedy the problem. ...warranty only kicks in to compensate the dealer who supplied the shoddy goods.

We (the buyers) need a much more direct route to get satisfaction than recourse to the agonisingly slow and convoluted legal system in which unscrupulous dealers can run rings around everybody.   Hence my praise when I find a dealer who seems prepared to do the right thing after only one call - well done that man, what a rare find :-)

In my perfect world, if my new van is faulty I should be able to take it right back to the factory and get my money back, not have to go through the dealer, whose fault it wasn't in the first place.

On the other hand, one could suggest that the dealer has had the opportunity to thoroughly inspect the product he's selling, and if he'd done a PDI to the level a customer might hope for, he's had full chance to identify and rectify any faults before you and I take delivery, so maybe my first approach is wrong.

I'm still left feeling like I really don't want to risk another purchase in case it turns into another saga, the likes of which we hear so often here on CT. ....grrrrrr 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, jetA1 said:

What a desperately sad reflection of the caravan industry this is . .. to include the comment "fight you all the way" as a response to your reasoned and patient comment is a simple disgrace. The caravan industry in the UK is nothing more than a cottage industry with lacks professionals at all levels. you have my support and sympathy in having to deal with such a dreadful outfit. Are you seeking legal representation, I think you should.  

Attached is my first email to Brian Mellor CEO of Lunar Caravans

Dear Mr Mellor,

My wife and I spent a long period last winter researching and viewing caravan layouts, weights, build quality and of course aesthetics and finally decided that the Lunar Delta RI, while not our exact perfect layout, was the closest that we could find to our ideal purchase. We happily visited the Lunar stand at the NEC in February, left a deposit which secured a new caravan to be delivered in "May/June" and went home beaming and looking forward to our first summer in our first new caravan. What should have been the start of our retirement era has turned into one of the most disappointing years of our lives, due, I believe, to very poor quality control, inspection standards, component suppliers supervision and design standards in your organisation.

I would hope that you are shocked to see these words but I suspect that I am not the first Lunar purchaser to express these opinions (although I have spoken to many happy Lunar owners and have owned second hand Lunars before) and I hope that our experience is an exception rather than the rule.

Please take a minute or two of your valuable time to understand what has led to our frustration.

We keep our caravan mainly on a season pitch but plan to take trips out as well and when we were informed in early May that the caravan would not be built for June I contacted Lee Roberts in your sales department to obtain an explanation for the delay. Lee explained about the seasonal supply problems in the caravan industry and his promised dates slipped from June to July as we corresponded throughout June. We had to replan our travels to suit the expected new delivery date and eventually took handover from XXXXXX XXXXXX  on 7th July (six weeks later than quoted at the NEC). 

On handover we were informed that the onboard water tank had a fault and would not fill, we were talked into accepting that we did not really need the onboard tank on a season pitch and that a part had been ordered from lunar that could be fitted at a later date to correct the problem. On arrival at site we began to examine the caravan in closer detail and to use the handbook to familiarise ourselves with the correct workings and were surprised to find the following faults:

All three work surfaces in the kitchen area had edging strips coming loose

Waste water in the kitchen sink drains very slowly

Waste water in the bathroom sink drips into the cupboard resulting in delamination of the shelf and door skins in the cupboard

The shower waste was not connected to the shower tray

Self adhesive screw covers missing in the bedroom decor panels

After a phone call to XXXXXX XXXXXX an engineer visited site to address these issues and to fit a new PSU to resolve the water tank issue. The new PSU allowed the filling of the onboard tank but the responses from the engineer suggested that the kitchen sink, bathroom sink and work surface issues were a fairly common fault. An attempt was made to glue the edging strips, which I rejected as unsatisfactory the next day and parts were ordered for the bathroom sink along with three new work surfaces. XXXXXX XXXXXX promised to reroute the waste from the kitchen sink at first service as they had done with several other Lunar caravans with the same issue. I also spoke to XXXXXX XXXXXX about the operation of the onboard tank as I believe that the tank should switch to the outside tank when empty, the response after consultation with Lunar technical department was that they did not think the system operated in that way so I questioned the value of the onboard tank on the top models as it offers no discernable benefit to most users. The 2017 handbook clearly states that when the tank empties the system automatically switches to the external supply.  Over the next few weeks we have continued to have problems with the water system including the sensors showing the incorrect level of water on the control panel, pumps running for short bursts without taps on, internal pump switching on and running until manually stopped and the external pump blowing fuses and having to be replaced.

During this same period we had a problem with not being able to set the alarm and a conversation with Sargent suggested a major failure of the alarm unit. A second site visit from XXXXXX XXXXXX's engineers replaced the alarm unit and we could set the alarm again, however over subsequent weeks we have had false alarms, alarms sometimes not sounding when activated and a klaxon so quiet it can barely be heard in the next caravan.

In addition to the above we have also had the Status aerial blow fuses, the bedroom striplight failed, lounge furniture edging strips are coming loose, bathroom wallcovering is discolouring and peeling, bathroom cupboard doors are delaminating, external fridge/freezer vents flap loose from the captive side, the radio aerial antenna is rusting, rooflight blinds are sticking, I have had fingers cut on the edge of the gas locker, the external shower cover cannot be prised open, the shower door fell off. .... do I need to continue?

From a design point of view I have noted that the selection and fitting of a porch awning is very difficult due to the lack of spaces between front rail, window, door/awning light and fridge vents and the fitting of a skirt on a standard awning means that the wheel cover covers a large portion of the lower fridge vent unless a specialised kit is purchased from the awning manufacturers and glued to the gap between the wheel arch and vent. The position of the roof/ front panel joint diverts rain water directly down the centre of the window and the rain enters the van if the window is not completely closed. The position of the Status aerial amplifier in the wardrobe over the double bed is very difficult to access and with two outlets feeding three TV positions is very crowded leading to stressed connectors and coaxial cables bent at 90 degrees to enable distribution - a fault hotspot!

As for documentation issues I have seen many issues while I questioned myself as to whether I am operating the equipment correctly. As stated above the handbook states that the onboard tank will switch automatically when empty yet your engineers state that it will not, the fuse position for the Status aerial is not identified either on the distribution board or in the handbook, the alarm malfunctions have been "possibly" blamed by the service department on direct sunlight through rooflights whilst the handbook and onboard signage state that certain roof blinds should be left open in direct sunlight, handbook and onboard signage tell the user to depress the safety buttons to open window and rooflights yet only the front windows have them fitted, the handbook advises fitting of winter vents to the fridge/freezer yet none are supplied or offered as options. ..

Many of these faults were, I hope, due to a one off rogue vehicle but I suspect that, in line with documentation issues, this is not the case. I feel that your managers, and ultimately you, must or should be aware of some of these faults as they are discussed regularly on user forums and known to your service agents, and that instead of continuing in the same vein, you should react and steal the march on rival manufacturers by being better than the rest rather than no worse than the others. It should not be the after sale job of the service department to reroute pipes on a brand new vehicle in order to drain, if they can get it right why can't you pre-sale? Back-up is no better, the work surfaces and sink parts referred to above were ordered three months ago and have only just been authorised under warranty!

A month ago I ran out of patience and decided to reject the vehicle as per the Consumer Rights Act 2015, under sections referring to faulty goods, not of satisfactory quality and not fit for purpose and feel that I have been bullied into accepting an attempt at repairs due to the threat of possible hefty legal bills from a lengthy court case as your and XXXXXX XXXXXX's legal departments would "fight all the way" to oppose a rejection and replacement of goods. We have lost faith in the current vehicle due to the number and type of faults and the whole experience of owning and using a brand new premium caravan has been a disaster. A spend of £28,000 on a caravan and awning set up should have set us up for a few years of relaxation in retirement, living the leisure vehicle dream, instead the last season has been nothing but worries as to what will go wrong next and we have no faith that next season will be any better.

Please speak to your departmental heads to see whether they can mitigate any of the above and advise me what you are doing to rectify the situation.

I intend to post a copy of this letter to public forums and may also post your replies or extracts from them so that other users may be informed prior to making a very costly purchase and having the same issues that we have.

If you have actually read this letter thank you for your time, if it has been diverted to a service manager or customer service/ public relations officer then could they please ensure that a copy is passed back to Mr Mellor?

Especially considering the last two paragraphs  would you expect an initial response from the addressee or for it to be delegated to another member of his management team, yes I thought they may be professional too! No response from Mr Mellor and a  response from his Head of Commercial Services that promised an investigation but appeared to focus on the repairs with the dealers rather than the issues above. I replied stating that the only correct result would be a replacement van free of faults. One month on no response or reports on progress so I wrote again to the CEO - guess what?

Can we stand back a bit from the rants please.

The law says your dealer is responsible. If they do not provide satisfaction within the terms of CRA then reject. There should be no need to work yourself into a lather, no need for rants, no emotion, just reject the product.

Forget the back story about manufacturer's and their warranties, reject it. Don't accept shoddy repairs and restitution, reject it. You're not rejecting a family member, it's just a shed on wheels.

If the dealer's did proper PDI's then a lot of small faults and some major ones would be resolved before collection, but it might delay matters. Delay in taking delivery can sometimes lead to folk collecting before the van is properly sorted. Delay in collection affects the dealer's cash flow. But if you want it right demand that you won't entertain collection 'til It's guaranteed perfect and if It's not the dealer is on notice that you'll refuse it. 

This is a two way street. Dealers know that folk get emotionally wound up about delivery. They know that most just want the van NOW. Often they don't have the resource and timescale to do a proper job. It's up to each customer to give them that time and space but come down on them hard if they don't fulfil their end of the bargain. Trouble is many just want it yesterday and until it all goes pear shaped they're happy. 

• Like 4

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

SDA

Yes, that's all very well, but the OP has rejected the van and the supplier has refused his rejection.   It's one thing knowing the law but quite another to get it complied with.    

• Like 1
1 hour ago, fred said:

I'm only in the profession and as there are apparently so many experts on here, what do I know.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

I’ve got no idea.  

• Like 1
  • I do not understand 1

The present Consumer Protection laws allow you to reject after fare attempt to rectify defects has been exhausted. They can't "Fight you all the way"--it's the law. Many car dealers try this on too but stick to your guns. Advice on local Trading Standards is a good place to start.

What may also give you good guidance is to log on to   "consumeractiongroup" website.

Go to motoring section, especially sub section  "vehicle manufacturers and dealers". There you will find several instances of cars being rejected & I think they can provide a letter template for rejection purposes.

If the matter does go to court, I'm sure you will win, as when the court sees the long list of defects they will find in your favour.

How was van paid for??? If HP, they need to be informed and may be able to assist. If any part paid by CC then they can also act on your behalf.

Don't give in.

• Like 1

We rejected our Elddis caravan with far fewer (but no less serious) defects, through the finance company.   If you have used Black horse to finance, they are very supportive at getting the van rejected, if there is a definite problem.   (the engineer that inspected ours said it was untowable).  Get in touch with them if you have financed the van, they will sort it for you and it will be relatively stress free, ours was.   I can only recommend Black Horse for this.

If you haven't financed through them, use the credit card option (Section 4?)

If you paid cash, then keep fighting them, they're bluffing you on the protracted legal fight thing.   They don't have a leg to stand on if all the faults you document are true and they have had the opportunity to repair them.   One thing must be said though, make sure you stipulate to them that they are having their one "statutory" chance of repairing the faults, as otherwise they will insist they were doing the repairs under warranty, at which they have numerous chances, AFAIK.

14 hours ago, fred said:

When it comes to consumer law like the CRA 2015 many organisations including solicitors will give you poor advice that will leave you out of pocket as there are many fields of law and they may not specialise in consumer law.  

We engaged a solicitor that assured us they knew all about CRA 2015 however although my knowledge of CRA 2015 was poor at the time, I knew more about SOGA and CRA 20915 than the solicitor however I had to still pay them over £500 for advice I could not use.   The CMC and CAB gave the wrong advice and if we had taken their advice we would be several thousand pounds out of pocket.   BTW there is no way that a dealer or any manufacturer will go near a court so you can forget that part.   The dealer is using scare tactics to buy time and they are succeeding!

We joined Which Legal Services and got the correct first hand legal advice to reject our caravan.   We got back out deposit plus interest and compensation for lost holidays.   If any one has an issue with a faulty caravan I strongly recommend using Which Legal Services which costs about £90 to join for the year and all the legal advice you will need in that year.   We rejected our caravan after 11 months ownership and from the time the rejection was accepted it took approximately 3 months to be paid out.  

In this case the dealer is clearly lying through their back teeth when they say Lunar will fight the OP as Lunar will not get involved as the contract is between the OP and the dealer and not between the consumer and the manufacturer.   I am not sure why the OP has written such a long letter to the CEO of Lunar as the contract is with the dealer and not the manufacturer.   Looking at where the OP lives I am fairly sure I know the dealer who is giving him grief.   Another forum member bought from the same dealer and I think they also had hassles.

BTW as an after thought if you reported a fault within the first 30 days and it has not been fixed, you still have that right to reject the caravan under the 30 day clause and that will strengthen your case for rejection.   That 30 day period is suspended until the fix is complete.   You do NOT have to give them an opportunity to repair.

I agree that the OP needs to get professional advice ASAP as possible as they have excellent grounds to reject the caravan.

Edited by Durbanite
  • Like 1