New Cadiz S4 On, Off And Then On Again

Well we set off early morning for the 100 miles drive to the supplying Dealer towing our Cadiz S3 which we were part exchanging for a new Cadiz S4.

We had ordered four extras, a Powertouch Evolution Mover, a carabiner type breakaway cable, two tea cup shelves by the beds and a TV bracket fixed to the bedroom side of the tall fridge. I had emphasised at every contact with the Dealer that it was to be fitted to the bedroom side.

Arrived nicely on time for our handover appointment, so very good so far.

Showed to our new caravan which was parked on muddy gravel (to be fair the Dealer is having a huge new workshop built at the moment) which did not present a very good image.

Looked around the outside, noted a carabiner clip had not been fitted but the mover was there. General external appearance was good.

Went inside and could not believe it, the TV bracket had been fitted to the lounge side of the tall fridge !

I know this has happened before to another forum member so I had gone to town to make sure the salesman knew which side it was required.

I rejected the caravan as if they now moved the bracket to the bedroom side three screw holes would be left and however they were plugged or covered it would not be acceptable to us.

The Dealer reacted in an extremely good manner. Apologies were profusive and immediately told us what they intended to do.  

They would prepare a second brand new Cadiz for us which they would deliver to us in one week`s time, buy us lunch in their cafe and give us a voucher to spend in their accessoey shop.

We were still disappointed and the experience of collecting a new van tarnished but very impressed with the Dealer`s very positive reaction to their mistake.

The caravan was delivered this Thursday just gone, all extras fitted (although the TV bracket was fitted so high it was impossible to use ! No problem as I have refitted it myself in the correct position with one screw hole exposed which will be covered with a "veneer disc" and is also hidden behind the TV.

Couldn`t test the electrics and heating as the van is in storage but we are away at Sandringham for a week from Thursday so that will be a good "shake down ".

Hope we can now enjoy the caravan.

Bob

Mercedes Benz E220 AMG Line Auto Estate and Bailey S4 Unicorn Cadiz

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did you not have the caravan connected to mains, gas and water, for the handover? I would have wanted to test everything before I paid the balance.    

The trader OR guarantor should provide the details and if they don't a Court can force them to. Every owner's handbook comes with the guarantee in plain English. The manufacturer supplies it and the

You did state that you didn't think warranties (guarantees) were covered in legislation so I'm clarifying that they are. The CRA makes no reference to the trader being the guarantor. It states

Wow that is disappointing 'collection' especially after the lengths to which you went.

Still the dealer came up trumps with putting it right + extras although nothing really replaces that initial excitement/sinking feeling. It's, sadly, rather like 'only getting one chance to make a first impression'. Anyway, hope the first trip out is enjoyable & fault-free.

1 hour ago, Endeeo said:

Wow that is disappointing 'collection' especially after the lengths to which you went.

Still the dealer came up trumps with putting it right + extras although nothing really replaces that initial excitement/sinking feeling. It's, sadly, rather like 'only getting one chance to make a first impression'. Anyway, hope the first trip out is enjoyable & fault-free.

Yes, we might be "of advanced years" but that sinking feeling still takes some getting over.

Thank you for your good wishes.

Bob

Bob, sounds almost identical to our experience, disappointment and tarnished collection was the way we felt. How was the front panel joins?

A bit of an update on our Valencia, we had a weekend away and initially all looks good & works as expected, I did find one missing screw cover on the front roof light surround and one of the Alko pad covers kept falling out. Bailey have sent me a few replacements of each. Caravan is all loaded feels like theres a lot more storage even though we’ve lost all three front lockers, but nose weigh almost perfect at 100kg but keeping an eye on this.

Two items we’re struggling to find homes for are the Aquaroll which we put under the front seat in previous Veron, most likely just put it in boot of car. The wastemaster is more of an issue and rather large, wasn’t using this in the Veron, instead used the onboard water carried which worked well. Inestigated buying alternatives but +£45 seemed a lot to pay. Found this, which I think is good value at £25 delivered and fits under front seats.

http://seaflo-uk. com/25l-caravan-motorhome-waste-water-carrier-roll-tank-pulling-handle-carry-handle-263-p. asp

All ready for our half term February break, lets hope all continues without any issues.

Bod, hope your Cadiz is now trouble free.

33 minutes ago, a18041967 said:

Bob, sounds almost identical to our experience, disappointment and tarnished collection was the way we felt. How was the front panel joins?

A bit of an update on our Valencia, we had a weekend away and initially all looks good & works as expected, I did find one missing screw cover on the front roof light surround and one of the Alko pad covers kept falling out. Bailey have sent me a few replacements of each. Caravan is all loaded feels like theres a lot more storage even though we’ve lost all three front lockers, but nose weigh almost perfect at 100kg but keeping an eye on this.

Two items we’re struggling to find homes for are the Aquaroll which we put under the front seat in previous Veron, most likely just put it in boot of car. The wastemaster is more of an issue and rather large, wasn’t using this in the Veron, instead used the onboard water carried which worked well. Inestigated buying alternatives but +£45 seemed a lot to pay. Found this, which I think is good value at £25 delivered and fits under front seats.

http://seaflo-uk. com/25l-caravan-motorhome-waste-water-carrier-roll-tank-pulling-handle-carry-handle-263-p. asp

All ready for our half term February break, lets hope all continues without any issues.

The front panel joints are not too bad but could be better. I am going to give it a while to see if I can live with them as they are or put some mastic in them.

Our aquarolls and wastemaster go in bags and are then just stored on the floor alongside our chairs which are also too big for the lockers. If you are careful they can be arranged so that they don`t move around.

Not sure what you mean by "Alko pad covers".  What are these ?

Yes there is plenty of storage and coming from a Cadiz S3 we were familiar with the "no front lockers" scenario. However there are quite a few changes to the lockers and we have had to put things in different places. This will cause some confusion initially and may need some re arrangement once we start using the van and finding out what is best.

One thing for anyone changing from a S3 Cadiz to a S4 Cadiz and intending to use the S3 bedding set. We bought a new fitted sheet for the offside bed as we knew that it had increased in length. But you also need a longer fitted sheet for the nearside as although the bed length is quoted as the same, 6` 3", the mattress is several inches longer. The head end of the S3 has a wood filler piece which is included in the bed length.

Bob

I really like the front storage for gas and stuff on our van and have always steered clear of the Baily  arrangement.   Obviously many people have no probs.   and the placement of gas over the axle etc is a great idea.   Maybe next change we'll look for carefully.

As for storage of waste  and aquaroll we simply pop ours in protective bags and, along with a pedal bin wedge them in the shower.   Leaves more space in car and doesn't clutter up the inside of the van when towing.   

I thought this solution was fairly universal? 

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Can anyone tell me what the red plastic cap is for that is included in the Unicorn accessory pack please and also why two AA batteries are also included ?

Thanks,

Bob

On 1/21/2018 at 12:21, a18041967 said:

We place both of these in tailored storage bags and they live in the shower cubicle when travelling.

59 minutes ago, Bob From Dunstable said:

Can anyone tell me what the red plastic cap is for that is included in the Unicorn accessory pack please and also why two AA batteries are also included ?

Thanks,

Bob

I think the red plastic cap is for blanking the aerial hole if needed and the two batteries are for the Alde heating back up. Dealer fitted mine.

When I viewed a Cadiz 4 I borrowed an aquaroll and wastemaster from the dealers shop . . both fitted under the nearside bed . That’s where I propose to to put them for travel. I keep mine in bags so getting them in and out of the van without dirtying everything willl be fine.

1 hour ago, Bob From Dunstable said:

Thanks,

Bob

The Alde battery back up is under where the kitchen sink is open the top drawer on the left hand side on the unit is the battery back holder that’s where you need to fit the batteries

Glynnis

Love been out caravanning & volunteering at 4 heritage railways

Nissan Pathfinder followed by a Bailey Unicorn S4 Cartagena

On 1/21/2018 at 11:03, Bob From Dunstable said:

Well we set off early morning for the 100 miles drive to the supplying Dealer towing our Cadiz S3 which we were part exchanging for a new Cadiz S4.

We had ordered four extras, a Powertouch Evolution Mover, a carabiner type breakaway cable, two tea cup shelves by the beds and a TV bracket fixed to the bedroom side of the tall fridge. I had emphasised at every contact with the Dealer that it was to be fitted to the bedroom side.

Showed to our new caravan which was parked on muddy gravel (to be fair the Dealer is having a huge new workshop built at the moment) which did not present a very good image.

Looked around the outside, noted a carabiner clip had not been fitted but the mover was there. General external appearance was good.

Went inside and could not believe it, the TV bracket had been fitted to the lounge side of the tall fridge !

I know this has happened before to another forum member so I had gone to town to make sure the salesman knew which side it was required.

I rejected the caravan as if they now moved the bracket to the bedroom side three screw holes would be left and however they were plugged or covered it would not be acceptable to us.

The Dealer reacted in an extremely good manner. Apologies were profusive and immediately told us what they intended to do.  

They would prepare a second brand new Cadiz for us which they would deliver to us in one week`s time, buy us lunch in their cafe and give us a voucher to spend in their accessoey shop.

We were still disappointed and the experience of collecting a new van tarnished but very impressed with the Dealer`s very positive reaction to their mistake.

The caravan was delivered this Thursday just gone, all extras fitted (although the TV bracket was fitted so high it was impossible to use ! No problem as I have refitted it myself in the correct position with one screw hole exposed which will be covered with a "veneer disc" and is also hidden behind the TV.

Couldn`t test the electrics and heating as the van is in storage but we are away at Sandringham for a week from Thursday so that will be a good "shake down ".

Bob

Hope you enjoy your new van.   Out of curiosity as we cannot name and shame or praise by name on here, was the dealer one based in Central Notts by any chance.   If so their new Customer Services Lass has worked wonders (in our experience) since she was recruited.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

8 minutes ago, Alan Stanley said:

Hope you enjoy your new van.   Out of curiosity as we cannot name and shame or praise by name on here, was the dealer one based in Central Notts by any chance.   If so their new Customer Services Lass has worked wonders (in our experience) since she was recruited.

Why not name and shame or praise? I have recently on here, as have others. Always pleasing to hear of good dealers as in this case.

In my mind, we're all human and mistakes will be made. While that can go from being mildly frustrating to extremely annoying, at the end of the day its how the mistakes are dealt with which is important. It sounds like the dealer in this case has been excellent.

Mitsubishi ASX4

Interests, none worth mentioning. Just plain boring most of the time, and very boring the rest.

2 hours ago, Alan Stanley said:

Alan, I have sent you a PM.

Bob

I think the challenge with naming the dealer is the long term affect it may have, remeber that we may have servicing and warranty issues.

Both me and Bob have experienced similar issues, if it had been the same dealer I’d be more inclined to name them. In both cases the dealers are doing what they can to resolve the issues.  

My issue is with Bailey, they clearly have a problem with the TV mounts and the very limited ‘H’ shapped mounting points. Bailey are not helping their dealers who are at the receiving end of complaints from customers. Bailey need to feel the pain and then they may resolve the issues, I raised concerns before delivery and Bailey customer services started to ignore my emails.

1 minute ago, a18041967 said:

I think the challenge with naming the dealer is the long term affect it may have, remeber that we may have servicing and warranty issues.

Both me and Bob have experienced similar issues, if it had been the same dealer I’d be more inclined to name them. In both cases the dealers are doing what they can to resolve the issues.  

My issue is with Bailey, they clearly have a problem with the TV mounts and the very limited ‘H’ shapped mounting points. Bailey are not helping their dealers who are at the receiving end of complaints from customers. Bailey need to feel the pain and then they may resolve the issues, I raised concerns before delivery and Bailey customer services started to ignore my emails.

Is your VisionPlus tv mount still ok ?

33 minutes ago, a18041967 said:

Frankly I'm not bothered about this, and don't see why it should be an issue.

If dealer service is lousy when I buy it, then I will go elsewhere to have it serviced and any warranty work rectified. If dealer service is good, I'll not hesitate to get any work done at the same dealership and recommend them to others.

Mitsubishi ASX4

Interests, none worth mentioning. Just plain boring most of the time, and very boring the rest.

1 hour ago, thebriars said:

Frankly I'm not bothered about this, and don't see why it should be an issue.

If dealer service is lousy when I buy it, then I will go elsewhere to have it serviced and any warranty work rectified. If dealer service is good, I'll not hesitate to get any work done at the same dealership and recommend them to others.

There is no guarantee that any other dealer will take on your servicing, and only the supplying dealer is legally obliged to carry out warranty work. 

13 hours ago, Alan Stanley said:

We've had a more relaxed position about naming dealerships and suppliers for a year or more now.  I'm not aware of any ban on praising a dealership.

What isn't approved are unsubstantiated claims and rants and folk who just post once in order to vent their frustration/anger and then disappear.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

6 minutes ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

We've had a more relaxed position about naming dealerships and suppliers for a year or more now.   I'm not aware of any ban on praising a dealership.

What isn't approved are unsubstantiated claims and rants and folk who just post once in order to vent their frustration/anger and then disappear.

Thanks for that Andy.  I’ll keep it in mind.  

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

13 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

There is no guarantee that any other dealer will take on your servicing, and only the supplying dealer is legally obliged to carry out warranty work.  

Right so they are legally required to carry out the warranty work whether you have exposed them as being good dealers or bad. Where's the problem? In the case of Elddis, if there is a dispute, their website shows a how this dispute will be resolved:

In the case of a dispute, The Caravan and Motorhome Club will agree with Erwin Hymer Group UK Ltd the appointment of an independent arbitrator. Erwin Hymer Group UK Ltd will pay for the costs of arbitration, subject to the owner paying a £250 deposit.

If the arbitrator finds in favour of the customer, then the deposit will be returned. If the arbitrator finds in favour of Erwin Hymer Group UK Ltd, the customer will lose their deposit.

Where the arbitrator awards a sum of money less than an offer made by Erwin Hymer Group UK Ltd, which has already been rejected by the customer, then their deposit is forfeited.

In all cases the arbitrator's decision is final and both parties must agree to abide by the decision.

Seems fair enough to me, and there is nothing at all anywhere to suggest that I need to accept substandard support just to ensure I retain any servicing and warranty entitlement.

Personally I think naming and shaming, as well as praising can only be a good thing from a consumer's point of view provided it is done fairly and honestly.

Mitsubishi ASX4

2 hours ago, thebriars said:

Right so they are legally required to carry out the warranty work whether you have exposed them as being good dealers or bad. Where's the problem? In the case of Elddis, if there is a dispute, their website shows a how this dispute will be resolved:

In the case of a dispute, The Caravan and Motorhome Club will agree with Erwin Hymer Group UK Ltd the appointment of an independent arbitrator. Erwin Hymer Group UK Ltd will pay for the costs of arbitration, subject to the owner paying a £250 deposit.

If the arbitrator finds in favour of the customer, then the deposit will be returned. If the arbitrator finds in favour of Erwin Hymer Group UK Ltd, the customer will lose their deposit.

Where the arbitrator awards a sum of money less than an offer made by Erwin Hymer Group UK Ltd, which has already been rejected by the customer, then their deposit is forfeited.

In all cases the arbitrator's decision is final and both parties must agree to abide by the decision.

Seems fair enough to me, and there is nothing at all anywhere to suggest that I need to accept substandard support just to ensure I retain any servicing and warranty entitlement.

Personally I think naming and shaming, as well as praising can only be a good thing from a consumer's point of view provided it is done fairly and honestly.

The manufacture is obliged to honour it's manufacturers warranty not the dealer through its authorised workshops and most manufactures list themselves as an authorised workshop. The dealer is obliged honour it's commitments under your CSR.

Edited by Silverback
On 22/01/2018 at 13:26, johnsev said:

I think the red plastic cap is for blanking the aerial hole if needed and the two batteries are for the Alde heating back up. Dealer fitted mine.

Ahh. ...........................so that is what they are for,was only wondering that last week in our U3 Cadiz.

I used it stuck to the floor to put our umbrella point in,stop it sliding around.

Ian

• Haha 1
On 21/01/2018 at 11:03, Bob From Dunstable said:

Bob

Did you not have the caravan connected to mains, gas and water, for the handover? I would have wanted to test everything before I paid the balance.

• Like 4

2017 Swift Elegance 580  towed by 2015 Volvo XC70