Too risky?

itwasntme

Just ordered a new caravan and can't insure it. Kept on a farm inside a locked grain store, farm house near by. Nada, too risky, unless in a proper storage facility or on your drive it wont be covered. I can't do either. That's the answer I've had from the insurance companies I've asked. If it wasn't risky there would be no need for insurance!

My present caravan isn't insured, anyone else risk it? not bragging but must have saved £1000 over the last 4 years, no servicing either so another £1000, would have to keep it another 5 years and it will have paid for itself :-)

You ever added up your total insurance cost over the last 10 years?  :-(

Can't help but think of the days where my car was a heap and I didn't care about it, servicing it myself, no depreciation, never got dinged or nicked.    First caravan was peanuts and i didn't lose on it, bags of fun, no insurance, servicing, worries of having it stolen.

Now, I pay serious money for the reliability and luxury of new but the added costs that come with it all makes you wonder! The depreciation is a massive cost that perhaps few of us worry about

Have you tried Caravam & Motorhome Club? You'd need to factor their annual membership fee into your costs but they're generally less restrictive than others on insurance.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Have you tried the NFU?

My folks are farmers and insure their van with them. It's parked in the farm yard which is kind of their driveway.

NFU seem more capable of assessing situations individually.  

• Like 1

Hi, already a member, they can't cover it because of what  I said :-(

It's a lot of money gone if it gets stolen 

Ah thats different because they live there, i used to live on the same farm and that was ok. Think you have to be a member of NFU. The cc asked if I was friends of the farmer, I'm not so they said no good

Edited by itwasntme

http://www. my-caravan-insurance. co. uk/touring-caravan-insurance/.

What's to lose, might just be worth 20 mins. . Someone will cover you, just a case of finding them. Time to think outside the box and forget the big insurance companies.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

My caravan lives in an open fronted shed between an isolated house and a public road .  No doors on the  shed, no locks on the gate, no wheel clamps on the caravan - just a rusty old hitch lock.   It's insured - but we don't get a lot of discounts ! 

5 minutes ago, moorgate said:

My caravan lives in an open fronted shed between an isolated house and a public road .  No doors on the  shed, no locks on the gate, no wheel clamps on the caravan - just a rusty old hitch lock.   It's insured - but we don't get a lot of discounts ! 

Are your insurance conditions happy with just one security device?

Regarding OP and having a caravan and no insurance its not just about being stolen etc. when not in use its also about when towing and in use you need it for that.

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

24 minutes ago, David Park said:

Are your insurance conditions happy with just one security device?

Regarding OP and having a caravan and no insurance its not just about being stolen etc. when not in use its also about when towing and in use you need it for that.

CMC insurance only require a hitchlock.

We store our on a smallholding. It ďoes have a locked gate to the area it is in and a cctv camera. C&CC Insurance had no issue, slightly more than if at a secure storage site.

We have always insured our caravans since beginning in 1997. Always bought new vans ( now on our 6th ) with increasing values as we traded up to more luxurious models & better equipment. Between 1997 & 2016 we made no claims & probably paid out around £4500 in premiums to 2 or 3 companies. Then in 2016 I made a mistake & had an accident ( no one else involved ). The final bill that insurers settled was over £7500 - and the vans good as new.

Are we still insured ?   Yes  :  Do I still think it's expensive ? Yes  :  Would I be without it ? No

Incidentally, I could not understand why some insurers refused to cover our son's van when he was in the RAF & it was kept in storage on a fully operational airbase - Just how much security do they expect !!!

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

Most of the time its not what they want, its the discount they wont give if you havent got there requirments. this then pushes up the premium. Im sure i would rather keep trying than not have ins or a new van.

65 volvo geartronic se nav, 2016 buccaneer cruiser, 2017 buccaneer commadore, 2018 swift kon-tiki 669 auto, 2015 range rover 3. 0 sdv6 autobiography dynamic auto

• 2 weeks later...

Insurance companies do not like insuring caravans on farms as the risk of damage is increased due to machines in operation not just security .

Caravans are at risk of being stolen but there is greater risk of damage on the road or fire damage . Members on here will state how quickly burn . No insurance is fine if you can afford to loose the money .

I store a new £65k motorhome on a farm but the insurance company asked if any machines were stored or used in the same area .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

On 1/19/2018 at 10:12, itwasntme said:

Ah thats different because they live there, i used to live on the same farm and that was ok. Think you have to be a member of NFU. The cc asked if I was friends of the farmer, I'm not so they said no good

Mine is stored on a farm and is covered by NFU. I am not a farmer or member of the NFU been insured with them for over 14 years.

Edited by Guest

I am an NFU satisfied client too.

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

CMC Insure mine with no question.  It is on farm storage without accreditation.  I like the security,  high locked fence, cctv, only entrace via house and student accommodation.  CMC don’t know all that,  I simply told them it’s on a farm and that was enough for them.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.