Anyone had Volvo V70 towing problems -engine overheating?

Has anyone experience Volvo V70 overheating when towing their caravan? 

Ours keeps overheating towing up hills, engine overheats and causes gearbox to slip.

Trying to find out if this is a common problem with Volvo V70??

It's a 2002 163 D5, 285 model automatic. We looked into oil cooler but it' not an option for this car from volvo we have already added extra fan just wondered if v70 are common for this a looking to replace car possibly with xc70 but don't want same issues

Edited by Mrsclaus

It's not unknown but the V70 ran for so long and had so many different variants that a bit more detail of year, model and gearbox might help. I do have a vague memory of  discussion about fitting oil coolers being bandied about on the Volvo Owners Forum.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Have you or anyone bleed the coolant system lately, Its going back a bit but I believe they drew in air and it caused  an overheating problem.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

It's a 2002 163 D5, 285 model automatic. We looked into oil cooler but it' not an option for this car from volvo we have already added extra fan just wondered if v70 are common for this a looking to replace car possibyl with xc70 but don't want same issues

And, if you don't mind me asking what caravan is the V70 pulling and what's its MTPLM, and whilst we're at it what mileage has the car covered? 

Just seen this on Honest John

'Geartronic autobox failures increasingly common, particularly on cars that have been towing. The transmission oil cooler on these cars is modular and can be increased in capacity by adding modules. This is ESSENTIAL for towing (though often overlooked) and may also be necessary for other types of use. The other common Geartronic problem is sticking servo valves in the valve box that controls the shifts. Blame has been laid on insufficient grease during manufacture.'

The V70 is usually a good tow car. Transmission oil changes are required if the car is regularly towing.  I can only guess that the op’s reference to “285 model” is a P3 with 285 PS. That’s a 6 cylinder petrol version. Additional oil coolers are not normally required on the V70, though the correctly fitted towing kit is accompanied by the towing module and software change. It is certainly not working correctly though, so requires a proper diagnostic check. Has it been serviced? It’s a 15 year old car so could be anything.

Edited by Ern

Ern

it sounds like the Gear box oil is overheating .

you can fit a extra after market oil cooler theres a company in Mansfield. when was the oil last changed and checked. could be that it may just need a gearbox oil change.

Mike

KIA SORENTO KX3 2012 Bailey Pageant Limousin SERIES 7 1700 kg

volvo xc70 D5 se

1 hour ago, Mrsclaus said:

Has anyone experience Volvo V70 overheating when towing their caravan? 

Ours keeps overheating towing up hills, engine overheats and causes gearbox to slip.

Trying to find out if this is a common problem with Volvo V70??

It's a 2002 163 D5, 285 model automatic. We looked into oil cooler but it' not an option for this car from volvo we have already added extra fan just wondered if v70 are common for this a looking to replace car possibly with xc70 but don't want same issues

It maybe the other way around, the gearbox may be slipping CAUSING the overheating issue. I had this on an Audi Allroad a few years ago, the solenoid was failing that locked up the torque converter, the net result was torque converter slip which in turn put massive amounts of energy into the oil heating things up nicely.

How many miles has the Car done as it could be the clutches are worn and slipping generating heat in the gearbox and transferring heat to the engine .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

They are fitted with an Asin TF80SC transmission. Thought of as being very reliable. Only real problem being valve bodys and linear solinoids jamming through ingress. It maybe as daft as a defective thermostat on the engine or fan not engaging.