Sign in to follow this  
heddlo

Lunar Rear Lights - Really??!!

We have a 2017 Lunar Delta TI bought in August last year.   We have used it twice since then and on the last trip one rear light cluster started playing up.  On braking, the offside indicator would also come on and vice versa.

The dealer tried to fix it by changing the light bulbs(??) but to no avail and they have also checked for cross-connections between the 13 pin plug and the main control unit.  It now appears that these light clusters are not able to be removed from the 'van to ascertain the problem (short circuit, crossed wires, etc).  The only remedy is to remove the whole of the back panel to get to the lights!!  Unbelievable to us.  We did phone Lunar and, after someone speaking to someone else, confirmed this was the only way to get to the light fittings.  Our dealer didn't want to undertake this major work so we are currently waiting for Lunar to authorise a 'return to factory' so they can do it.

I wondered if anyone else had had a problem like this and, if so, was it dealt with like this or is there another way?  We are booked to go away in March and at present the van is still waiting to be sent back to factory as the dealer has had no date for that yet!

Sounds like an old-fashioned earthing problem - ridiculous that it has to go back to the factory to fix though.

That really is poor design and forethought.   Are they LEDs?  Perhaps they were thinking they'd never fail, so no need for access?

That seems crazy having to remove the whole back panel to change the light cluster.   Can we assume that is relatively easy to change alight bulb?

Easy to change the bulbs, but cannot remove the sub-cluster to get to the connections, or remove the whole offside light fitting.  Crazy!

• Like 1

Lunar Rear lights - really??!!     Follow up news about our caravan rear light cluster.   

We 'email bombed' Lunar to previous contacts, relevant or not, with our frustration and the idiocy of having to return the caravan to factory with what appears to be a short circuit on the rear lights (brake and indicator) and guess what - result!!  We were contacted by someone at Lunar, yes really, who had spoken to our dealer with some ideas for a fix.  This appears to be a sort of keyhole surgery solution, making a hole through the bodywork, behind the red trailer triangle, to get to the wiring loom.  Much better than removing the whole rear panel of the caravan!!   Being as there now appears someone at our dealership who seems more knowledgeable than most, he has tried their method and found that a screw had worn through some insulation and caused a short as we have hardly used the caravan yet this fills us with much confidence for the future - not!  Anyway, we have had another email from the person at Lunar who stated that their suggested repair had been successful and our dealer will be contacting us, which they did this afternoon confirming the outcome.  How good was it to get some response from a manufacturer - you see, Lunar, it wasn't that hard was it?  Our dealer is still working on some other outstanding warranty work, too many to list here, most of which should have been picked up on the PDI.  That was nonexistent as far as we can see, as attested to by a floor full of water on our first outing, but that's a whole other issue!  

Lunar, apparently, has known about this possible fault with the rear lights, and the resolution, for two years!  As it's not just our caravan to have suffered with this problem, it beggars belief that they are still making them with being unable to correct a simple problem without major work.  It remains to be seen how this hole in our bodywork will bear up without causing a damp issue, but we have been assured that it’s been sealed…

We are now hoping this is a good outcome and everything will work correctly.  Sorry if I sound a little negative there but from previous experience with this dealer we sadly have little confidence but hopefully, this time, we will be proved wrong.  Unfortunately, due to other commitments, we will unable to use the caravan for a few weeks now but perhaps next time we can get away we can report back with good news, not only from the caravan perspective but that the dealer had performed better as well.  We have our fingers crossed but, my OH especially, is without much hope or expectation all will be well and it's really sad we should have to feel like that.

30 minutes ago, heddlo said:

Lunar Rear lights - really??!!     Follow up news about our caravan rear light cluster.   

We 'email bombed' Lunar to previous contacts, relevant or not, with our frustration and the idiocy of having to return the caravan to factory with what appears to be a short circuit on the rear lights (brake and indicator) and guess what - result!!  We were contacted by someone at Lunar, yes really, who had spoken to our dealer with some ideas for a fix.  This appears to be a sort of keyhole surgery solution, making a hole through the bodywork, behind the red trailer triangle, to get to the wiring loom.  Much better than removing the whole rear panel of the caravan!!   Being as there now appears someone at our dealership who seems more knowledgeable than most, he has tried their method and found that a screw had worn through some insulation and caused a short as we have hardly used the caravan yet this fills us with much confidence for the future - not!  Anyway, we have had another email from the person at Lunar who stated that their suggested repair had been successful and our dealer will be contacting us, which they did this afternoon confirming the outcome.  How good was it to get some response from a manufacturer - you see, Lunar, it wasn't that hard was it?  Our dealer is still working on some other outstanding warranty work, too many to list here, most of which should have been picked up on the PDI.  That was nonexistent as far as we can see, as attested to by a floor full of water on our first outing, but that's a whole other issue!  

Lunar, apparently, has known about this possible fault with the rear lights, and the resolution, for two years!  As it's not just our caravan to have suffered with this problem, it beggars belief that they are still making them with being unable to correct a simple problem without major work.  It remains to be seen how this hole in our bodywork will bear up without causing a damp issue, but we have been assured that it’s been sealed…

We are now hoping this is a good outcome and everything will work correctly.  Sorry if I sound a little negative there but from previous experience with this dealer we sadly have little confidence but hopefully, this time, we will be proved wrong.  Unfortunately, due to other commitments, we will unable to use the caravan for a few weeks now but perhaps next time we can get away we can report back with good news, not only from the caravan perspective but that the dealer had performed better as well.  We have our fingers crossed but, my OH especially, is without much hope or expectation all will be well and it's really sad we should have to feel like that.

I am pleased that I am trading my Lunar Delta  2016 and  his is an unbelievable situation - keyhole surgery to access road lighting!!!    

Never heard of this before and will take a look at my Lunar in daylight.    I will be checking for that on my new van next month (Buccaneer Cruiser) when I do my PDI before the dealer does his!  That was the dealers suggestion which certainly gives me more confidence.

12 hours ago, heddlo said:

I would enquire as to how they have sealed the hole they cut and not just put the triangle back to cover it. The last thing you need is water ingress from this work done.

On 1/24/2018 at 20:18, Bazalab said:

I am pleased that I am trading my Lunar Delta  2016 and  his is an unbelievable situation - keyhole surgery to access road lighting!!!    

Never heard of this before and will take a look at my Lunar in daylight.    I will be checking for that on my new van next month (Buccaneer Cruiser) when I do my PDI before the dealer does his!  That was the dealers suggestion which certainly gives me more confidence.

Hi All

Just check my Lunar Delta 2016 which is on my driveway and there are screw fixings to rear road lights, brake lights and reflectors!

Bazalab

22 minutes ago, Bazalab said:

Hi All

Just check my Lunar Delta 2016 which is on my driveway and there are screw fixings to rear road lights, brake lights and reflectors!

Bazalab

But are they just to remove the lens to replace a bulb, or do they allow removal of the complete fitting to access the wiring harness?

1 hour ago, hp100425ev said:

But are they just to remove the lens to replace a bulb, or do they allow removal of the complete fitting to access the wiring harness?

Without actually taking the lens covers off I don't know but at least bulbs can be changed!  Not going to check further in the rain we have here in Hampshire which seems to be non-stop!  

Bazalab

Yes hp100425ev is correct Bazalab.  We have all the same screw fittings that we assumed would access the required area.  Unfortunately these screws do not allow you to remove the whole light fitting, only the bulbs!  That requires removal of the back of the caravan, or a hole made under the reflective red triangle to get to the wiring loom.  We got ours back from dealer yesterday (unfortunately still with some other outstanding issues to be looked at!!!).  Apparently it took one of their guys around 4 hours to find that our problem turned out to be a screw having worked through some sheathing and shorting between brake and indicator, half way along the run between the fuse box and the rear lights.    At least we hope he's correct and that has solved the issue; we have yet to check that in use, fingers crossed!!  

On 24/01/2018 at 21:18, Bazalab said:

The dealer suggests you do your own pdi and that gives you confidence!! You pay him over £500 for delivery and a pdi and he gets you to do it for him. I’d be spitting feathers if my dealer suggested that I do a pdi 

On 25/01/2018 at 08:24, birdman101 said:

I would enquire as to how they have sealed the hole they cut and not just put the triangle back to cover it. The last thing you need is water ingress from this work done.

Can't get excited about not being able to cover a hole with a bit of plastic and seal it effectively.    

The fact that a hole was the solution seems to me to be the issue.   Still unclear in my head as to how you examine a decent length of wiring through a small hole.   Maybe Lunar know where the likely culprit is and the hole provides access to this and nothing more.