Hi everbody,  I wonder  if the new electric cars will tow my caravan,   perhaps we will have to have a commercial type, I think we will be heavily taxed on that one, perhaps I am thinking too far in the future,   if I buy a new   diesel or petrol   car this year   the value is going to drop a lot more than it normally would over the next few years     Peteus

I think that you're getting a bit ahead of yourself.  Petrol and Diesel cars are going to be around for quite a while yet and Electric cars, as far as I can see, are not yet viable towing vehicles.  This year I traded my VW Passat Alltrack Euro 5 Diesel for a new equivalent Euro 6 Diesel Alltrack and that's me happy for a good while yet.

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

7 hours ago, peteus said:

Hi everbody,  I wonder  if the new electric cars will tow my caravan,   perhaps we will have to have a commercial type, I think we will be heavily taxed on that one, perhaps I am thinking too far in the future,   if I buy a new   diesel or petrol   car this year   the value is going to drop a lot more than it normally would over the next few years     Peteus

If diesel sales have fallen by 30% it proves nobody is in a rush to buy them so secondhand market will be swamped by vehicles so prices will fall in the future .

But a bargain can be had ?

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

With the values of diesel vehicles falling at the predicted rate I reckon those of us who drive them but have limited incomes (OAP) will be forced to drive them a lot longer as the cost difference to hybrid or electric will be too great for us to afford!

Edited by exkiaman
13 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

If diesel sales have fallen by 30% it proves nobody is in a rush to buy them so secondhand market will be swamped by vehicles so prices will fall in the future .

But a bargain can be had ?

Dave

May be the exact opposite, scarcity values may keep prices high.

• Like 1

Mitsubishi ASX4

Interests, none worth mentioning. Just plain boring most of the time, and very boring the rest.

12 hours ago, exkiaman said:

With the values of diesel vehicles falling at the predicted rate I reckon those of us who drive them but have limited incomes (OAP) will be forced to drive them a lot longer as the cost difference to hybrid or electric will be too great for us to afford!

That's not a bad thing - most owners change their car long before they need to.

Used values of diesels have already plummeted and will continue to fall further - but properly maintained they'll still do long mileages.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Maybe people are retaining diesels because of uncertainty? I suspect thevmanufacturers will continue to improve them.

Turbo petrol cars tow well but are thirsty. Used to tow with Saab turbos but they were 2. 0 litre not small capacity.  ecoboost. Cracking tugs and quick solo!

Most performance cars seem to have gone turbo route.

Are CO levels now rising because petrol more popular again?

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

Just now, DavS said:

Maybe people are retaining diesels because of uncertainty? I suspect thevmanufacturers will continue to improve them.

Turbo petrol cars tow well but are thirsty. Used to tow with Saab turbos but they were 2. 0 litre not small capacity.  ecoboost. Cracking tugs and quick solo!

Most performance cars seem to have gone turbo route.

Are CO levels now rising because petrol more popular again?

Yes, CO2 levels have risen in the last 12 months due directly to the start of the switch from diesel to petrol.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

New car sales have dropped not just diesel cars.

Fewer diesels will raise prices second hand IMO.    There has been a huge over reaction which has made buyers cautious to buy at present, and the new robbers tax on a new car doesn't help.

It will be years yet before anyone need worry about combustion cars dying out.

On 10/01/2018 at 14:23, peteus said:

Hi, I will put your mind at ease. There is no electric car that will pull your caravan, and unlikely to be so in the near future.   I believe that petrol and diesel are due to be phased out around 2040 in Great Britain, at least that's what GOOGLE says. So how the onset of electric cars can effect the future sales of petrol and diesel cars today is beyond my comprehension. My hybrid costs MORE to run than a good diesel, (we have had two 4. 2 Landcruiser Amazons that gave better towing figures) and I suspect a good petrol could out MPG my hybrid as well. The technology for electric is not there yet.

11 hours ago, Angel1 said:

Hi, I will put your mind at ease. There is no electric car that will pull your caravan, and unlikely to be so in the near future.   I believe that petrol and diesel are due to be phased out around 2040 in Great Britain, at least that's what GOOGLE says. So how the onset of electric cars can effect the future sales of petrol and diesel cars today is beyond my comprehension. My hybrid costs MORE to run than a good diesel, (we have had two 4. 2 Landcruiser Amazons that gave better towing figures) and I suspect a good petrol could out MPG my hybrid as well. The technology for electric is not there yet.

very interesting,   thanks 2040 is a few years yet, I might put a new set of tyres on my Peugeot ,  

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Angel1 said:

I believe a Telsa will tow a caravan?

The edict that was announced said that diesel or petrol only cars will be phased out by 2040. Given that a cars life is generally about 15 years that means we have until 2025. That is only 7 years but you are talking end of life cars at 2040.  

My next car will most probably be a hybrid. Mitsubishi phev or similar. We hope to downsize our family in the not to distant future - for those of you who don't know, we are foster carers, so downsizing for us means not taking on any more children, not bumping a few off!! - so we should have no need for a 7 seater 

Would I buy an electric car? I'd have a tesla at the drop of a hat if I could afford one.  

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

think how much it may cost you to change your 5 year old diesel for a new car.

how long could you run your diesel for, for the amount it costs you to buy a new car?

how much money will you lose on your new car?

if you have an older diesel, the amount you will need to spend is even more and think amount how much your diesel at its value today is going to loose in the next couple of years.

I have to question if changing your diesel today for a new car will save you money in 5 years what with depreciation, cost of change etc.

spending money to save money takes some consideration.

The car I own today is a car I enjoy, what would I replace it with?  So far only 2 new cars that I have driven did I like the ride in. Range Rover £80k ish and Jaguar F pace, £35k ish.

As for the interiors, not becoming of their names. Range Rover had trim that reminded me of my daughters ikea kitchen cupboard doors. Looked awful.

macafee2

I thought 2040 was the end of new car sales for diesel/petrol only cars. If not there are an awful lot of cars going to get scrapped.  

Ern

40 minutes ago, Ern said:

I thought 2040 was the end of new car sales for diesel/petrol only cars. If not there are an awful lot of cars going to get scrapped.  

You are correct ern. You won't be able to buy a new diesel or petrol engine only car after I assume January 1 2040. The cars on the road before that date will still be on the road.  

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................