Sign in to follow this  
Robbido

Forget the spirit level......

Fridges don't take kindly to not being level. Am I missing something here-we had a cheap plastic spirit level or a level on my mobile phone-whichever , place on a flat surface in the van-inside the door worked for me, put a ramp-plastic , under the side that is down, motormover the van up the ramp while watching the level and stop when level side to side-go to jockey wheel raise or lower till level. Done-5 minute job. Easier for us now as we have the lovely EPsystem-press a button and it's all done in 2mins!

12 hours ago, JTQ said:

You then did not know of a lovely simple device we had in the 80/90s the Lambi-level.

A large spirit level located on the van front you observed via the car's rear view mirror, as you eased the van's wheels over the ground undulations or pushed up your ramp.

Brilliant device, maybe it was and looked a shed made product, but well worth having.

I made a clone version of them for my circle of friends.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=292740

I've still got a pair. Well weathered but still functional. Won't be needing new batteries for a while. ;)

They await the arrival of the new caravan.

The Volvo thread names the inventor incorrectly. He was Howard Lambie from Hayling Island IIRC. He also made a wire assembly that fitted on the Lambilevel to help with reversing. Ours was destroyed when we lost control of the awning while taking it down in a wind.

Am I the only one who checks for level by ensuring that the door frame is vertical?

I stand adjacent to the open door, with spirit level in one hand at eye level and motor mover remote in the other and just move up or down the levelling ramp.

• Like 1

I can see why these gadgets could be useful in a MH but don't get why it's so important to get a caravan  level from the driving seat?  If the pitch is that uneven/sloped what's the chances of it's sweet spot lining up with the wheel locks?

FWIW I get the lock lined up, check side to side level then, if necessary roll it back or forward, insert the ramp and realign the lock. Jockey wheel fore/aft obviously.

And after one or four glasses of Merlot, who knows or cares, how level it actually is. 😋

2 hours ago, Silversurf said:

And after one or four glasses of Merlot, who knows or cares, how level it actually is. 😋

Depends whether the Merlot slides off the table.

However it's nice to not have toe hang onto the side of the bed to stop you rolling out but to avoid that you could always use lee cloths.

8 hours ago, Stevan said:

Am I the only one who checks for level by ensuring that the door frame is vertical?

I stand adjacent to the open door, with spirit level in one hand at eye level and motor mover remote in the other and just move up or down the levelling ramp.

That’s a jolly good idea.  I’m nicking it.

nanamel

• Haha 1