Sign in to follow this  
Robbido

Forget the spirit level......

8 minutes ago, poltergeist666 said:

A bit of a thread revival - I have ordered one of these.

https://savvylevel.co.uk/

Not cheap, but for some reason or another, I thought I'd give it a go.

I'm terrible at levelling our van and need all the help I can get!

But that does not help at all, it does not level the van for you!!!

It only does the same as a 20p spirit level , or even cheaper, a glass of water !!!!!

On 08/01/2018 at 22:57, Robbido said:

and at 20 quid it's not a problem if it falls off the table and smashes :)

Must be an age thing .. 20 quid is a problem/lot of money to me ..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brecon said:

But that does not help at all, it does not level the van for you!!!

It only does the same as a 20p spirit level , or even cheaper, a glass of water !!!!!

Each to his own. 🙂

2 hours ago, Disco Kid said:

Must be an age thing .. 20 quid is a problem/lot of money to me ..

I'm loaded - so not a problem. 🙂  Plus, at 53 - I'm no teenager.  😁

Edited by poltergeist666

I don't even need a spirit level. If the caravan looks level to me that's good enough.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, poltergeist666 said:

Plus, at 53 - I'm no teenager.  😁

at 84 neither am I  ........  

• Like 1

I have found that leveling by eye works well enough on flat pitches. If I have a problem I did download an app which I can use although it is sensitive almost beyond belief.

I am afraid our shower plughole is at the side and nothing seems to help it drain fully unless there is a distinct lean beyond what I would accept.

13 hours ago, WispMan said:

Wow! £180! :o

For half that price I'll come along and do it for you! :lol:

Actually, if you buy the mount as well it’s £200, as they add on another tenner at checkout, presumably for p&p !

And as for levelling your van “in under a minute” - even with this gizmo that’s pushing it.

John

17 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

I have found that leveling by eye works well enough on flat pitches. If I have a problem I did download an app which I can use although it is sensitive almost beyond belief.

I am afraid our shower plughole is at the side and nothing seems to help it drain fully unless there is a distinct lean beyond what I would accept.

Similar for me.  We do make use of the shower, but to get a fall so that it drains well I have to make the side to side level at the entrance door considerably out of level.  This is not noticeable when in the van, but it's annoying to have to kick the water down the drain if I get it wrong.

What his shows to me, and I have noticed it on all previous vans, is that there must be various twists and undulations in the floor so getting a consistent reading in either direction is impossible.  This is clearly why the Australian expensive gizmo in the earlier post allows the user to zero the instrument so the future results are consistent.

John

• I agree completely 1

I think levelling our caravan by eye is ok. However, I have found it prudent to assure Mrs Ern that all is well and I always pop the level in the doorway and always announce how pleased I am with the levelallityness, then compliment the driver for his pitching skill before popping it straight back in its little cupboard. The spirit level is always kept safely there because I never use it anywhere at home. Why would I? There's been no bubble in it for years.

• Haha 2

My shower base was replaced under warranty pss plastics put a wedge shaped slope under the new shower tray and it helps a lot. The reason it was replaced was when the van was levelled the shower collected water away from the drain.

I use the Truma app on my phone, or a small spirit level.

But if neither are to hand (unlikely for me) You could place a plate / baking tray on the work surface and a glass marble on that.  The marble will role to the lowest  place.  Adjust the 'van as necessary to get the marble near the middle.

On 08/01/2018 at 22:36, Robbido said:

This gadget looks the biz, stand it where you can read the numbers and level away to your hearts content  :)

https://www. amazon. co. uk/Trend-DLB-Deal-TRC-2016/dp/B01HF9FJJU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515450971&sr=8-1&keywords=digital+level+box

anyone tried one ?

These are very useful to have around, especially for measuring the angle of mitre saw blades etc.

61r3PRCajxL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

In the years we've had a unit (either trailer tent, folding camper or caravan), we've used spirit levels (all types), coins (they roll when the unit isn't level).  My favourite is just to open doors inside the caravan, if they shut/open on their own, the unit isn't level:D

On 27/01/2020 at 11:25, Disco Kid said:

at 84 neither am I  ........  

And fair play to you sir. 🙂

On 26/01/2020 at 22:55, Brecon said:

It only does the same as a 20p spirit level , or even cheaper, a glass of water 

I don't know many spirit levels that tell you how level the van is, while pulling one side up on a levelling ramp, while you are in the driving seat!

I received the Savvy level this week, and I'm really impressed with it. I wired it into the 12V feed of a reading light, whereby it switches on when I turn on the Swift Command. I have installed it in a dead space, on the offside front just in front of the high locker (involved removing the small locker bulkhead, whereby a flat space & the required wiring was revealed.

Once I'd taken extra special care to level the van, using numerous spirit levels to cross reference each other,  I synced the level via the app, to the Savvy unit. I'm certain that it will save me time in getting the van level, before I deploy the steadies. 

I'm sure the Nay-slayers will not warm to it, but I think it's great, and I know it will save me time, and get a nigh on perfectly level van.

Edited by poltergeist666

5 minutes ago, poltergeist666 said:

I don't know many spirit levels that tell you how level the van is, while pulling one side up on a levelling ramp, while you are in the driving seat!

Last year I had several attempts to make a spirit level out of a plastic 1.5L  bottle with an alcohol/water mix . A large bottle placed on the Aframe housingwas big enough to be seen clearly through the reversing camera of the car.  It worked sortof,  after  establishing the the most level place on the Aframe housing. The  problem was that the internal surface resistance of the plastic bottle tended to breakup the bubble. I wanted plastic rather than a heavy , breakable glass bottle. But clearly glass has less resistance.  Still looking for best bottle and optimum fluid viscosity.  But in principle it should be possible to place a large level on the Aframe housing and level side to side from the drivers seat.

I suppose a large clear container of water would do the same ...but more bulky to carry. 

20 minutes ago, poltergeist666 said:

I don't know many spirit levels that tell you how level the van is, while pulling one side a levelling ramp, while you are in the driving seat!

You then did not know of a lovely simple device we had in the 80/90s the Lambi-level.

A large spirit level located on the van front you observed via the car's rear view mirror, as you eased the van's wheels over the ground undulations or pushed up your ramp.

Brilliant device, maybe it was and looked a shed made product, but well worth having.

I made a clone version of them for my circle of friends.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=292740

6 minutes ago, JTQ said:

6 minutes ago, JTQ said:

You then did not know of a lovely simple device we had in the 80/90s the Lambi-level.

A large spirit level located on the van front you observed via the car's rear view mirror, as you eased the van's wheels over the ground undulations or pushed up your ramp.

Brilliant device, maybe it was and looked a shed made product, but well worth having.

I made a clone version of them for my circle of friends.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=292740

Trust me to reinvent the ...spirit level

Edited by ericfield

4 minutes ago, matelodave said:

You could always use summat like one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inclinometers/b?ie=UTF8&node=1939096031

Having looked at that little lot, makes me even happier I purchased the Savvy. 😁

18 minutes ago, ericfield said:

Trust me to reinvent the ...spirit level

My clone was made from a 10mm dia glass tube, 8" long , fire sealed at one end and bent to a curve of about a metre radius.

Filled with 50/50 antifreeze and black ink,  leaving an air gap for the bubble, then drawn and fire sealed at the other end.

That was mounted on a white painted unequal leg folded aluminium angle section, with a pair of black dots to align the bubble. This formed a high contrast background, so the bubble position could be seen.

• Like 1

With this you don’t even have to get out of the car😂😂

https://pitchperfect-uk.com/

7 minutes ago, MrRVW said:

With this you don’t even have to get out of the car😂😂

https://pitchperfect-uk.com/

So who sticks it on the side of the caravan, puts the ramp under the low wheel, and who winds down the jockey wheel. :blink:

I suppose you could summon the warden or an unsuspecting passerby  :ph34r:

• I agree completely 1

As long as the caravan is reasonably level who cares about it being exactly precise?  After all you are on holiday and the quicker you can settle in, the better!  Nowadays there is no necessity for us to carry a spirit level at all.  :D