Sign in to follow this  
Robbido

Forget the spirit level......

This gadget looks the biz, stand it where you can read the numbers and level away to your hearts content  :)

https://www. amazon. co. uk/Trend-DLB-Deal-TRC-2016/dp/B01HF9FJJU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515450971&sr=8-1&keywords=digital+level+box

anyone tried one ?

I expect a lot of people are using a mobile phone app or the old soaks will be using a glass of wine !😝

Yeah but. .....a mobile phone app lies flat. ....this stands up and is easier to see, doesn't receive incoming calls or texts and at 20 quid it's not a problem if it falls off the table and smashes :)

:)  glass of wine wouldn't last long enough if my Missus saw it !!

Edited by Robbido

What’s wrong with a simple (cheap) glass, half full of water? Costs a lot less than 20 quid as well!

I have one of the tiny little spirit levels off a Sky dish glued to the side of my “A” frame so I can do the fore and aft levelling once I have unhitched without having to move, side to side I do by eye.  

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Magnetic bullseye level on the A frame near the hitch for me, does fore/aft and starboard/port - cost about £3. 00 and won't run out of batteries:D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve05 said:

Magnetic bullseye level on the A frame near the hitch for me, does fore/aft and starboard/port - cost about £3. 00 and won't run out of batteries:D

Fair point  :)

but it's a gadget and I like gadgets :)

Edited by Robbido
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Robbido said:

Fair point  :)

but it's a gadget and I like gadgets :)

LOL - me too, might get one;)

Wow! I must rush out and buy one. ............one day.

Mobile phone app is free! No more batteries - please. ..

and pray tell what makes your mobile phone work ?

Edited by Robbido
  • Like 1

Don’t need any of these things, the van just does it .

Ian

Why oh why "forget-the-spirit-level" it does not need replacing and adding gizmos is simply that, gizmos just for the sake of it.

I have for decades carried a trusty Sabila 9" torpedo level in the front locker, so to hand before uncoupling to check the van's side is stood vertical, then after uncoupling that the awning skirt rail is horizontal. Even if I need to site by using the motor mover, there is always a van side flank to hand to place the vertical level against as we seek to find where to stop. Then it is to hand again to set the veranda rails of the awning nice and horizontal ;)

In all those decades its battery has never gone flat. As I said why oh why complicate things just for the sake of doing so?

This is the newer incarnation of mine at some  60% of the investment of that gizmo. All you will ever need, no consumables and something easily tidied away.

https://www. amazon. co. uk/Stabila-70tm-Torpedo-Level-Magnetic/dp/B0001P0TNW/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1515485821&sr=8-13&keywords=stabila+level+set

Edited by JTQ
  • Like 3

Depends on what surface you place all these gizmos. The Mk1 eyeball is pretty good.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JTQ said:

Why oh why "forget-the-spirit-level" it does not need replacing and adding gizmos is simply that, gizmos just for the sake of it.

I have for decades carried a trusty Sabila 9" torpedo level in the front locker, so to hand before uncoupling to check the van's side is stood vertical, then after uncoupling that the awning skirt rail is horizontal. Even if I need to site by using the motor mover, there is always a van side flank to hand to place the vertical level against as we seek to find where to stop. Then it is to hand again to set the veranda rails of the awning nice and horizontal ;)

In all those decades its battery has never gone flat. As I said why oh why complicate things just for the sake of doing so?

This is the newer incarnation of mine at some  60% of the investment of that gizmo. All you will ever need, no consumables and something easily tidied away.

https://www. amazon. co. uk/Stabila-70tm-Torpedo-Level-Magnetic/dp/B0001P0TNW/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1515485821&sr=8-13&keywords=stabila+level+set

Looked at your link and can't see where you put the batteries.

I just do it by eye,wife often checks with a spirit level and it’s always spot on,fore and aft,  or,she doesn’t tell me it’s wrong.

• Like 1

i've got one of these on the A frame - totally reliable and no batteries to change image.png.b1ab3ed92ebbd63f3c80525791fe66b5.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If it was modified to remind me to fit the ALKO wheel lock before levelling I might consider it! Can't remember the number of times when we have levelled only to start again because we should have fitted the wheel lock first.

• Like 3

I'll go with the no-batteries use of eye and spirit level brigade - it's probably quicker, too :).
Just when we're finally taking at look at the problems we're creating for ourselves & the planet in the  long term, this gizmo seems pointless, and just one more thing which will in due course add to the pile of plastic and metal pollution we've been building for years.

• Like 2

Eyes then Shower water . If it has not got the correct slope it needs adjusting till the water drains away and not puddles .

Dave

Good point Commander Dave. level the van then ensure by slight adjustments make sure that the shower water goes down the drain.

38 minutes ago, jjohnd said:

If it was modified to remind me to fit the ALKO wheel lock before levelling I might consider it! Can't remember the number of times when we have levelled only to start again because we should have fitted the wheel lock first.

That really would be a gizmo worth having - even battery operated!

46 minutes ago, jjohnd said:

It’s an age thing, but I’m pleased to find I’m not the only one !

But it has got me thinking. ....................

I have  Dymo labeller, so if I make up a label saying ALKO, and fix it near to the jockey wheel mounting. .................... back in minute!!!

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Lambilevels for me. I believe they are quite a rarity nowadays. I've only had mine 35 years.

Edited by hawkaye

3 hours ago, matelodave said:

i've got one of these on the A frame - totally reliable and no batteries to change image.png.b1ab3ed92ebbd63f3c80525791fe66b5.png

I have one just the same - foolproof.

John.

• Like 1

I seem to be the only one so far that uses the 'van door (assuming no wind) or the fridge door, as a leveling guide. Open the door to 90º. If it does not move when you let go, you are level fore & aft. Now move the door to the half way closed. Adjust side to side till it stays put.

I've tried spirit levels but found that although they may be accurate, the surface that you put them on may not be.