Sign in to follow this  
Angel1

Ford Kuga

Looks like 2018 Kuga might be list for the next tug. Which towbar will work with it is my question. Here''s why.   I do not fancy paying Ford for supply and fit, quoted between 7 and 8 hundred quid, a lot for an old pensioner. Under 4 hundred at the local Towbar centre, with vehicle specific 13 pln electrics. But here is the question, Ford fit a removable ball hitch so as not to interfere with the reversing sensors, any one know if the fixed ball hitch does interfear with the sensors at all.  

Another quick question, if we got a Kuga with reversing camera, does it show the hitch, allowing the driver to connect up on his own without getting in and out of the car. Disabled driver.

Thank You.

I can confirm that a fixed towbar, fitted by a local towbar company, does not interfere with the rear sensors. We have a 2016 Kuga - no rear camera so can’t help with that.

I've got a 17 reg Kuga with a fixed towbar and it does'nt  interfer with the reversing sensors mine was fitted by a local fitter for £399. they did advise about getting the computer  updated, . i dont have a camera so cant advise on that. I never have and had no problems.

Les

I bought my Kuga from a main dealer.

They fitted the Ford tow bar with a detachable hitch and full 13 pin electrics with a canbus software update for £491 inclusive.

The tow bar is manufactured by Brink.   

The hitch does not interfere with any sensors.  I don't have a rear camera so can't comment.   

Negotiate and be lucky!

Thank you for the info gentlemen,  much appreciated.

If a tow bar is fitted the vehicle software MUST be updated for correct operation - rear fog light and sensor cut out, bulb monitoring including indicators and the electronic trailer sway stability programme. Having seen it for myself, you can see the tow ball in the reversing camera.

28 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

If a tow bar is fitted the vehicle software MUST be updated for correct operation - rear fog light and sensor cut out, bulb monitoring including indicators and the electronic trailer sway stability programme. Having seen it for myself, you can see the tow ball in the reversing camera.

Until my current car, none of my previous tow cars had the rear fog light cut-out or reversing sensor cut-out - it's not a legal requirement and I didn't find it an issue.

I have a Kuga 2015 with a reversing camera. I have a fixed swan neck towbar and can confirm that there is no interference with the reversing sensors. The tow ball is clearly visible in the camera and you can choose zoom for an even better view.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

Until my current car, none of my previous tow cars had the rear fog light cut-out or reversing sensor cut-out - it's not a legal requirement and I didn't find it an issue.

To clarify, I'm not saying it's a legal issue for the rear fog lights and reversing sensors to cut out. I'm pointing out that electrical issues will be experienced if it's not programmed correctly, particularly with the indicator malfunction warnings (which are a legal requirement) and the electronic stability programme. The Kuga systems need to know when a trailer is connected.

Edited by Legal Eagle

we had a dealer fitted detachable tow bar.   It is not difficult to fix on, however not knowing your disabilities a factory fitted one may be easier for you. I can't remember exactly but I think the factory one just dropped down at the touch of a button.   Someone will come along in a moment and correct me if I'm wrong :)

Legal Eagles advice about software updates is good advice.

Make sure whoever fits the T-bar can correctly update the software.

Yes, there are ways around it but from personal experience I can assure you it's not worth the potential problems especially with a  new car.

• Thanks 1

My mate cant get an after market one for his S-Max because of the handsfree tailgate, apparently it interferes with the tailgate sensors - so it's worth checking that it isn't the case with the Kuga. He hasn't been able to find out either from Fords or anyone else if  one can be fitted (it's a specific exclusion on the Ford price list for the S-Max with handsfree tailgate)

I know the Kuga tailgate facility works fine with the factory fitted fixed Ford towbar but dunno about an aftermarket or even dealer fit (Witter, Westfalia etc) so I suggest you check first.

Just to add to the info, I had no end of problems with an aftermarket Westfalia  towbar electrics kit - fitted by a professional towbar fitter and in the end had to have it all taken out and a Ford one fitted to my 2015 Ford S-max. but the car was never right after that.   We had several trips on the back of breakdown lorries and the car spent around six weeks in various dealers as far apart as Durham, Cambridge and Essex before I gave up and got the car replaced.  

I have had no problems whatsoever with my Ford electrics on my present S-max, so beware as it can be a real problem trying to get stuff sorted out when a third party gets involved.

Edited by matelodave

https://www. ford. co. uk/cars/kuga/features/comfort-convenience#overlay/content/overlays/download-a-brochure/new-kuga

Ford offer three towbars: fixed, detachable and deployable.   So a fixed is unlikely to suffer parking sensor issues.

The deployable one factory fitted to my Galaxy is a little awkard to get to because we have the mobility scooter hoist on the same side and it's actuator handle is hidden behind a panel there. ..  (Also provides access to the rear light cluster which was a big joy when a brake lamp failed just before this years' MOT).

Can see the towball/hitch in the rear view camera fine - except when the sun is shining in the wrong way or it's too dark.

Some  fitters can reprogram the vehicle electrics, but many cannot and will refer you back to the dealer. ..  On a brand new car it may be worth negotiating a good deal to minimise the warranty problems.

Edited by Rodders53

It should be made a requirement in law because in some vehicles the car stability systems is changed when it is towing and insurance companies could question the change in risk  . Manufacturers change the engine and transmission running conditions so it can effect the warranty on vehicles .

It makes sense for safety to get it reprogrammed as it can be an expensive mistake .

Dave

Thanks for that info Chaps.   Seems the reversing camera is the way to go then.

I assumed that the Towbar business recognised the electrical problems by their statement of fitting a  "vehicle specific 13 pln electrics" loom.   I will certainly contact them to be sure they are aware of the problems.   If not, it looks like a Ford TB and electrics need to be fitted.  

Forgot to add, our van is fitted with the ATC anti sway system, I want that to work for safety and as our van insurance was reduced by 10% (I think) I don't want the insurance company refusing to pay out because it was not wired in correctly.

6 hours ago, matelodave said:

My mate cant get an after market one for his S-Max because of the handsfree tailgate, apparently it interferes with the tailgate sensors - so it's worth checking that it isn't the case with the Kuga. He hasn't been able to find out either from Fords or anyone else if  one can be fitted (it's a specific exclusion on the Ford price list for the S-Max with handsfree tailgate)

I know the Kuga tailgate facility works fine with the factory fitted fixed Ford towbar but dunno about an aftermarket or even dealer fit (Witter, Westfalia etc) so I suggest you check first.

Just to add to the info, I had no end of problems with an aftermarket Westfalia  towbar electrics kit - fitted by a professional towbar fitter and in the end had to have it all taken out and a Ford one fitted to my 2015 Ford S-max. but the car was never right after that.   We had several trips on the back of breakdown lorries and the car spent around six weeks in various dealers as far apart as Durham, Cambridge and Essex before I gave up and got the car replaced.  

I have had no problems whatsoever with my Ford electrics on my present S-max, so beware as it can be a real problem trying to get stuff sorted out when a third party gets involved.

Don't know about Ford, but some other brands find it necessary to disable the hands-free tailgate when a factory-fit towbar is ordered - if they're both options they're mutually exclusive.

23 hours ago, Angel1 said:

Looks like 2018 Kuga might be list for the next tug. Which towbar will work with it is my question. Here''s why.   I do not fancy paying Ford for supply and fit, quoted between 7 and 8 hundred quid, a lot for an old pensioner. Under 4 hundred at the local Towbar centre, with vehicle specific 13 pln electrics. But here is the question, Ford fit a removable ball hitch so as not to interfere with the reversing sensors, any one know if the fixed ball hitch does interfear with the sensors at all.  

Another quick question, if we got a Kuga with reversing camera, does it show the hitch, allowing the driver to connect up on his own without getting in and out of the car. Disabled driver.

Thank You.

With regards to the reversing camera, if it's as good as the one in my CR-V (there is no reason why it shouldn't be)  you can reverse with pin point accuracy.   That's all I have to do then, is lower the caravan onto the towball, connect the 13pin plug, break away cable, and we're off. The only downside is that it takes some of the fun away, because the wife no longer has to stand in the most awkward place flapping her arms about.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Llew said:

With regards to the reversing camera, if it's as good as the one in my CR-V (there is no reason why it shouldn't be)  you can reverse with pin point accuracy.   That's all I have to do then, is lower the caravan onto the towball, connect the 13pin plug, break away cable, and we're off. The only downside is that it takes some of the fun away, because the wife no longer has to stand in the most awkward place flapping her arms about.

Never thought about her indoors and the flapping arms syndrome, maybe ignore the camera and keep her flapping, good exersize for her.  :goodpost::Thankyou:

The new Ford Kuga only the Titanium models and ST can use the Ford dedicated harness, the Zetec is NOT wired up for the dedicated loom it needs to be wired by a very experience automotive engineer, we used Copthorne Services Shrewsbury. If it a Mobility car you need to authorisation first before fitting a towbar.

• Like 1

On 09/01/2018 at 16:01, Oscarmax said:

The new Ford Kuga only the Titanium models and ST can use the Ford dedicated harness, the Zetec is NOT wired up for the dedicated loom it needs to be wired by a very experience automotive engineer, we used Copthorne Services Shrewsbury. If it a Mobility car you need to authorisation first before fitting a towbar.

Aye, thanks for that advice. Might be best to swallow the pill or bite the bullit or whatever the saying is, and have it fitted by Ford. I always inform Mobility and the Insurance of my intentions to tow.