Sign in to follow this  
chrisheg

Calais to alicante

Hi. I am planning the above trip in a motorhome in May.  Dont mind using toll road but happy to use a good alternative.  Plan to do the trip in 4-5 days.  Any advice on routes and stopoffs (sites or motorhome aires with facilities) gratefully accepted.

viaMichelin web site will show you 2 recommended routes. The 1145Mile run will be about 18 hours actual drinking time.  That is a route which includes toll roads. Use the options to modify your route as you desire. As you plan to go in May there should be no difficulties with snow/ice and lots of airs and small sites at your mercy. We’ve done it towing - actually a bit further south than Alicante in winter, and it used to take us 5 or 6 days.  

Have a look at Furkot.   It is a trip planner which you can customise for your preferred length of driving day, average speed and road type etc and it will show you roughly where you need to stop for each night. Then it will show you campsites in the vicinity of that location, together with Google links.

It might be worth asking the same question on the “Motorhome Facts” (MHF) forum.  

http://forums. motorhomefacts. com/index. php

There will be many on there who will have done that exact trip.

if you want to travel long distances in a reasonable time period then there is little option other than to use the Peage’s. If you have PLENTY of time, then you can use the N roads etc and see a bit more of the country.

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Try your best to find time to visit the Greek and Roman ruins at Empuries, near Girona.   Also Carcassonne, if you route takes you near enough.

We are retired so try not to rush anywhere, hence we would opt for the 'A' roads and not the Motorways.

On 06/01/2018 at 16:30, Ern said:

viaMichelin web site will show you 2 recommended routes. The 1145Mile run will be about 18 hours actual drinking time.  That is a route which includes toll roads. Use the options to modify your route as you desire. As you plan to go in May there should be no difficulties with snow/ice and lots of airs and small sites at your mercy. We’ve done it towing - actually a bit further south than Alicante in winter, and it used to take us 5 or 6 days.  

Actually current thinking is not to combine drinking and driving😀

But. Way to go. ..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PandR said:

Actually current thinking is not to combine drinking and driving😀

But. Way to go. ..

Thats what i thought. ..think it was a typo. maybe after he was drinking. ..who knows

Which ferry port are you starting from?  That's the all important thing when calculating routes.    Four to five days isn't really long for significant stopovers to see anywhere at all, so you may decide to just 'get there'.   

Or you could try the non-toll route via (but not through) Rouen, Evreux, Dreux, Chartres, Orleans, Gien, Nevers, Moulins, Gannat, Clermond Ferrand, Millau, Beziers and the Med.   You bypass most of them but I would suggest an overnight stop in Millau (lovely campsites from 11 euros and much better than the motorhome aire/shared with a car park near the river which has some of the most disgusting toilets I've ever seen!).  Onwards from there on either the toll route or non-toll route via Perpignan and into Spain.     That route will offer you some interesting options for sight-seeing, and from about Moulins south goes through interesting countryside,  but honestly I don't think you'll have much time for side-trips!

Many people going to Spain use a more western route, down towards Bordeaux, through the Landes and into Spain at the western end of the Pyrenees, then across through Spain to Alicante.   

ValA clue is in the title! Poster says they're leaving from Calais.

Martin W

Yes, I read that afterwards, but got distracted and left it too late to edit the post! 

The route suggested applies to a start from Calais, (I have it as a PDF file if anyone would like to see it in full - it includes some directions on how to avoid what some people perceive as 'the problems of Rouen') and you can still do the western route with a Calais start via Rouen, Tours, Poitiers, Bordeaux and google gives that as a suggestion if the Op would rather head in that direction.

If the OP does the route I suggested then there are absolutely loads of overnight stops, from Ste Claire at Neufchatel en Bray, Pont de l'Arche, Chartres, Olivet just south of Orleans, Gien, any of the smaller villages along the Loire,  Nevers, St Pourcain sur Sioule, Gannat,  Issoire,  St Flour, and many many others. ......... and most towns and villages of any size have a motorhome aire, which is well signposted with a brown sign showing a motorhome.     I would suggest the OP downloads Archie's Campings (a website of downloadable files of 33,000 campsites throughout Europe which can be installed on most types of SatNav, or perhaps downloads the App (free forever updates) from the link on the website.    In May the OP won't need to book anything in advance so can just go along as he wants and look for the nearest site, pull in and find a pitch.   

Some of the motorhome forums will have similar links to websites showing  all the Aires available to motorhomes - but they really are all over the place.

• Like 1

Hi can you send me the pdf. ive sent pm with email

8 hours ago, ValA said:

Yes, I read that afterwards, but got distracted and left it too late to edit the post! 

The route suggested applies to a start from Calais, (I have it as a PDF file if anyone would like to see it in full - it includes some directions on how to avoid what some people perceive as 'the problems of Rouen') and you can still do the western route with a Calais start via Rouen, Tours, Poitiers, Bordeaux and google gives that as a suggestion if the Op would rather head in that direction.

If the OP does the route I suggested then there are absolutely loads of overnight stops, from Ste Claire at Neufchatel en Bray, Pont de l'Arche, Chartres, Olivet just south of Orleans, Gien, any of the smaller villages along the Loire,  Nevers, St Pourcain sur Sioule, Gannat,  Issoire,  St Flour, and many many others. ......... and most towns and villages of any size have a motorhome aire, which is well signposted with a brown sign showing a motorhome.     I would suggest the OP downloads Archie's Campings (a website of downloadable files of 33,000 campsites throughout Europe which can be installed on most types of SatNav, or perhaps downloads the App (free forever updates) from the link on the website.    In May the OP won't need to book anything in advance so can just go along as he wants and look for the nearest site, pull in and find a pitch.   

Some of the motorhome forums will have similar links to websites showing  all the Aires available to motorhomes - but they really are all over the place.

Hi Thanx for the very interesting pdf. i have looked at it and we have chose some of the site on the way. 1 noticable 1 was municipal de mas.

only other thing is we have to look at the fuel in france. diesel mine is. just on route stop with the van or stopping over night and unhitching then going into towns for easyness moreso. looks like fuel is roughly same price as uk so may fill up near dover  and this will mean a good run into france before stopping. thanx very much

Simon, if you go the route I sent you then there are two fuel stations at Igoville which are caravan-friendly and directly on your route.   There is an Esso as you drive down into Igoville, on the right side of the road (the left side), and then just about opposite there is a Carrefour supermarket.   Both sell well-priced fuel.   There is also cheap fuel near to the campsite at Issoire.   

For cheap fuel, we use the following:-

Le Clerc at Neufchatel en Bray

Intermarche at Ouzouer sur Loire 

Auchan at Gien

Carrefor at Issoire

Esso at St Flour J29 on A75

We then get to Spain and our campsite, where hopefully fuel has not gone up by so much.

We have just come from the tunnel into Spain and the cheapest fuel was €1. 35 in Intermarche or Carrefour. On the autoroute the fuel was at least 20c dearer or in some cases 30c dearer.

Ian

On 16/01/2018 at 09:19, IanV8 said:

We have just come from the tunnel into Spain and the cheapest fuel was €1. 35 in Intermarche or Carrefour. On the autoroute the fuel was at least 20c dearer or in some cases 30c dearer.

Ian

which is sim to us here in the uk.

On 15/01/2018 at 19:52, ValA said:

Simon, if you go the route I sent you then there are two fuel stations at Igoville which are caravan-friendly and directly on your route.   There is an Esso as you drive down into Igoville, on the right side of the road (the left side), and then just about opposite there is a Carrefour supermarket.   Both sell well-priced fuel.   There is also cheap fuel near to the campsite at Issoire.   

Thanx Val. i was thinking if i fill up in Folkestone area then it gives me time to adjust driving the other side(new roads listening to wife caling out the way etc) before i need to refuel(maily watching in the correct direction for oncomers etc).so i can go approx 400m on a full tank. so would look at refueling around the 250/300 mile mark. which is approx orleans at 270ish. will give me a nice feel for the traffic. time is of no matter to us,so slowly ahead will be nice.

I have driven on the other side many time before just a car solo. but always learning, as they say.

Edited by smino0_1

Sorry Vala but meant to ask are any of the town villages low emmission zone on route that you gave toll free spec.

Edited by smino0_1