Sign in to follow this  
vectra19

kojack bottle jack

hi all.

happy new year to you all.

can anyone tell me if a kojack ( bottle jack type) will fit my bailey rimini, i have looked under the van and noticed the the water drain pipes seem to be in the way of fixing the bracket on the offside and i don`t want to purchase one then  find it does`nt fit, i also have a motor mover fitted. ??

cheeers keith

53 minutes ago, vectra19 said:

hi all.

happy new year to you all.

can anyone tell me if a kojack ( bottle jack type) will fit my bailey rimini, i have looked under the van and noticed the the water drain pipes seem to be in the way of fixing the bracket on the offside and i don`t want to purchase one then  find it does`nt fit, i also have a motor mover fitted. ??

cheeers keith

If it's an Al-Ko chasis the holes should be present to fit it. You may need to re-route the waste pipe to avoid getting in the way.

Tom

I would think that all Bailey single axle caravans suffer from this problem, but it is easily overcome.

You may need to buy some extra pipe, although I didn't on my Orion, but did on my Pursuit.   B & Q sold it, but it was not easily found and was ever so expensive, having had to buy 3 metres, at something over £12, when I only needed about 40mm.

Anyway, have a read here about what I did on the Orion Kojack fitted to Bailey Orion

With the bits left over I made this Neater drain outlet

• Like 1

thanks for that wunny,i think i will look at another type of jack 

I too have had a kojack fitted to my Avondale.   I relocated the drain points a couple of inches to the rear to give clear access to the jacking point. Motor mover is at the front of the wheel so does not interfere.  

Made life much, much easier when lifting the van and is worth it to me.  

I had a Kojack  bottle jack and the oil seals failed after a couple of uses,it may have been a faulty batch but there were a lot of complaints of oil seal failures.

1 hour ago, vectra19 said:

thanks for that wunny,i think i will look at another type of jack 

The Kojack does the job very well and I've not encountered any oil seepage from the jack seals.

The drainpipe issue will affect the AlKo jack too.   It's not a problem with the jack, it's a problem where Bailey fit their drainage points.

As Bailey do not supply a jack, they give no thought as to how drainage can be obstructive to fitting a jacking point.

I tried a trolley jack and found it awkward get under the axle and of course it is a hefty lump to carry around.

Have fun! ;)

1 hour ago, KNARF said:

I had a Kojack  bottle jack and the oil seals failed after a couple of uses,it may have been a faulty batch but there were a lot of complaints of oil seal failures.

Us too, as we had had it a while it was beyond warranty.

Current van has Al Ko jack anyway. I have trolley jack for  home use and carry a 5 tonne bottle jack for extra security should we need it.

My only concern with a bottle jack is

"Can you fit the jack underneath the jacking point if the tyre is FULLY deflated?" as that reduces the ground clearance by about 10cm there is only 20cm available on mine when the tyre is fully inflated. In fact, by the looks of it if I get a N/S puncture my spare wheel carrier will rest on the ground!!

Andy

1 hour ago, Wunny said:

and of course it is a hefty lump to carry around.

Because our current (twin axle) 'van has a Powrtouch AWD fitted, the brackets for the Kojak cannot be mounted to the holes in the chassis rail. So, I bought one of THESE. About half the price of a Kojak and, if you weigh the complete Kojak kit including the brackets, it does not weigh a lot more. I have had occasion to use it already and it goes under the axle OK.  

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

My only concern with a bottle jack is

"Can you fit the jack underneath the jacking point if the tyre is FULLY deflated?" as that reduces the ground clearance by about 10cm there is only 20cm available on mine when the tyre is fully inflated. In fact, by the looks of it if I get a N/S puncture my spare wheel carrier will rest on the ground!!

Andy

Just tow the caravan forward so the deflated tyre goes up your levelling ramps/blocks, that'll give plenty of clearance for a jack.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Just tow the caravan forward so the deflated tyre goes up your levelling ramps/blocks, that'll give plenty of clearance for a jack

If you have ever tried to do that you will know that all that happens is the plastic ramp gets pushed along the road surface by the flat tyre that doesn’t want to rotate!!

It works with the spare wheel but NOT if the flat is on the same side as the spare carrier, because you need to jack the van up, to get the spare wheel out, so you can tow the caravan up onto it. ......

to get the jack underneath!!!!

Andy

I too had problems with oil seals leaking on my Kojack, (shame as in most other ways it seemed to be a good product)  but I couldn't trust it anymore. I binned mine and bought the Al Ko type second hand, quite small and side entry plus lighter that the Kojack. I still had problems fitting the brackets with drain being in the way so I just moved it by altering the pipe lengths.

Andy, I fitted 'R' clips to mine so I can drop the whole thing from the other side, not the best solution and wouldn't try it on a motorway.

Dave

Edited by Pickled Onion
Additional info added

On 05/01/2018 at 09:57, KNARF said:

Ditto here. These look like a basic bottle Jack one can acquire from eBay for less than 20 quid but given a quick spray of bright orange paint which flakes off.

Think I had a motor mover from the same outfit and it didn't have anything like the power of a Powertouch.

Edited by PandR

Just a new member and just noticed this post.  My Kojack brackets fit behind the drain pipes on my Bailey Pegasus Rimini.  It's tight but they fit.  

• Like 1