Sign in to follow this  
Millstone

Liverpool Car Park Fire

I see the ABI estimates that the total claim for the 1400 cars all written off in the Liverpool fire could exceed £20M, that's an average of just over £14K per car.

I wonder how many others will be claimed as also being parked there on that day - and then cloned and sold on ? Checking VIN numbers etc is going to be a mammoth task!

Do you think the insurance company of the owner of the Land Rover will have to pay out for everyone?

John

30 minutes ago, Millstone said:

I see the ABI estimates that the total claim for the 1400 cars all written off in the Liverpool fire could exceed £20M, that's an average of just over £14K per car.

I wonder how many others will be claimed as also being parked there on that day - and then cloned and sold on ? Checking VIN numbers etc is going to be a mammoth task!

Why do you think people will claim for their cars despite them not being parked there?

Surely proof of ownership will be required along with matching descriptions of vehicle parked there, colour, type etc etc.

14 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Why do you think people will claim for their cars despite them not being parked there?

Just another of those ignorant comments by somebody misguidedly thinking he (or she) is funny. Still, it is difficult to criticize the OP when similar comments are posted on twitter by a member of Northumbria Police.

Were such comments made about a black or LGBT community there would be uproar, but because it is aimed at a largely white British community it is deemed acceptable.  

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, PMW said:

Just another of those ignorant comments by somebody misguidedly thinking he (or she) is funny. Still, it is difficult to criticize the OP when similar comments are posted on twitter by a member of Northumbria Police.

Were such comments made about a black or LGBT community there would be uproar, but because it is aimed at a largely white British community it is deemed acceptable.  

According to tonight's news the officer concerned has been given 'management advice'.

Ah right. ...its 

Liverpool, I get It now, it's a crass joke about people coming from Liverpool, gosh that's original and really funny.

21 minutes ago, AndyPoole said:

But then no one thieved from the Manchester Bombing victims did they!

http://www. bbc. co. uk/news/uk-england-manchester-42540738

Unfortunately many people cannot see the reality of the human race today.   IMHO the police officer should be giving his management training so well done to him for highlighting a potential issue as it also happened at the Grenfell tower fire.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Unfortunately many people cannot see the reality of the human race today.   IMHO the police officer should be giving his management training so well done to him for highlighting a potential issue as it also happened at the Grenfell tower fire.

The police officer in question is this one:

http://www. itv. com/news/2018-01-03/police-officer-apologises-after-tweet-about-liverpool-car-park-fire-linked-to-hillsborough/

He highlighted nothing more than why the police are not trusted by large sectors of the community (in my opinion)

I thought the OP was being a realist and never for one minute saw it as a joke about Liverpool, until, that is, someone decided  to make that assumption.

No matter where it was, some will attempt to defraud the insurance companies, if not by claiming for a vehicle that wasn’t there, then by claiming for items that where not in their vehicle at the time!

That I’m afraid, is the way of the world.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PMW said:

Who says its acceptable? Did you do a poll?

It clearly isn't.

• Like 3

No doubt, in time, after the expensive public enquiry, the police will have to take the blame for the starting the fire.  :) ;)

Edited by bessacarr425
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, bessacarr425 said:

No doubt, in time, after the expensive public enquiry, the police will have to take the blame for the starting the fire.  :) ;)

As no lives were lost and it appears to be an insurance matter I very much doubt that there will be a public enquiry.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, svimes said:

The police officer in question is this one:

http://www. itv. com/news/2018-01-03/police-officer-apologises-after-tweet-about-liverpool-car-park-fire-linked-to-hillsborough/

He highlighted nothing more than why the police are not trusted by large sectors of the community (in my opinion)

Perhaps your opinion is correct but personally I believe that trust in the police force is higher than its ever been.  That twitter remark will go no way to enhance that further.

The remark:

"Have they started blaming the police yet????"

Is inflametry, stupid, in bad taste, factually and politically incorrect.  It can’t even be passed off as funny.

—————-

The floors in that car park would have been minimum of 150 mm reinforced concrete.  They have exploded towards the middle.  That was some enormously heat.

Bet they can still decipher VIN numbers for ID though.

—————

Interesting thought from Johnaldo re who will pay.  Somthing I don’t know the answer to.  Except, Inevitably  all of us.

John

Edited by JCloughie
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, JCloughie said:

Perhaps your opinion is correct but personally I believe that trust in the police force is higher than its ever been.  That remark will do no way to enhance that further.

The remark:

Is inflametry, stupid, in bad taste, factually and politically incorrect.  It can’t even be passed off as funny.

I think we agree. I was pointing out that, in my opinion, he was not "highlighting a potential issue as it also happened at the Grenfell tower fire. "

As somebody who comes from Liverpool I have no problem with comments that suggest there will be fraudulent claims. That is human nature.

As to comments about "Have they started blaming the police yet????" I find deeply offensive.   Hillsborough is still very raw to the people of Liverpool, although I don't expect people outside the City to understand that.

Tom

6 hours ago, JCloughie said:

Perhaps your opinion is correct but personally I believe that trust in the police force is higher than its ever been.  That twitter remark will go no way to enhance that further.

The remark:

—————-

The floors in that car park would have been minimum of 150 mm reinforced concrete.  They have exploded towards the middle.  That was some enormously heat.

Bet they can still decipher VIN numbers for ID though.

—————

Interesting thought from Johnaldo re who will pay.  Somthing I don’t know the answer to.  Except, Inevitably  all of us.

John

Trust in the police force higher than its ever been ?  Thats interesting, but Im not so sure. I see the modern policeforce as lazy and target driven overall with little interest in the law, none in justice, but lots in quotas and tickboxes.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alexbee said:

Trust in the police force higher than its ever been ?  Thats interesting, but Im not so sure. I see the modern policeforce as lazy and target driven overall with little interest in the law, none in justice, but lots in quotas and tickboxes.  

I think that's a fair comment about the perception but for me, the police could sort out crime overnight if the sentencing was up to scratch. Get offenders off the streets, proper sentences and no 50% reduction in term. I think it must be immensely demoralising to be an officer. You put your live on the line to catch some scumbag and then 20 crimes later and it's still a slap on the wrist.

I remember a friend of a friend used to come across the police on their radio systems before encyption and for any crime, they already had a really good idea of who had done it. Offenders aren't off the streets long enough to have an effect.

16 hours ago, PMW said:

I think your first sentence is probably on the money.   As for the last, let them aim anything in my direction, my skin is impenetrable been a white British man. That is the problem these days,  every different creed are just looking for something to moan about, Snowflakes.  

9 minutes ago, Angel1 said:

I think your first sentence is probably on the money.   As for the last, let them aim anything in my direction, my skin is impenetrable been a white British man. That is the problem these days,  every different creed are just looking for something to moan about, Snowflakes.  

Surely every different creed includes the white British male? I'm one and I see and hear plenty of my fellow WBMs moaning on a daily basis. Many of them being offended by beliefs that don't match their own (that is what a Snowflake is, right?)

37 minutes ago, Alexbee said:

I agree with what you say regarding quotas, targets, and tick boxes. But I don’t relate those things to trust.  The public know that that is down to politicians and management.

I would say that perception of trust might have somthing to do with upbringing.  Mine was in Liverpool.   In those days they had an iron fist and you didn’t mess with them, but neither did you trust them.

I can remember 3 occasions when the police tried to bully me, each time dismissed by the courts.  (Minor things I should say).  On one occasion I was picked up for a bulb failure at 1 a. m. while I was out doing work the police had refused to do earlier that evening.  The bulb came on when I hit the light.  He still wanted to do me but relented when I told him how I would mitigate.  

late 70’s I was involved with the rehabilitation of ‘disadvantaged’ youngsters.  By far the biggest thing we battled were the attitude of the police.  It is these areas that I believe big progress has been made.

Also, with the general public there is much less of the, ‘them and us’. And they are much more approachable.

John

Don't think the location of the carpark is relevant at all here.   The fact of the matter is that some fraudster will probably try it on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ranger1700 said:

Edited by Wallace

Seriously, isn't it about time the city and people of Liverpool moved on?

I get why those directly affected might not yet be able to and fully understand that  but the city as a whole?

5 hours ago, Angel1 said:

I think your first sentence is probably on the money.   

5 hours ago, Wozerp said:

Don't think the location of the carpark is relevant at all here.   The fact of the matter is that some fraudster will probably try it on.

I think the 2 quotes above are interesting, the first ( and the post it is responding too) show a complete misunderstanding of the situation.

The second really sums up my intention for posting the quote originally.

I have some very good contacts with people involved in the fraud prevention and detection side of the insurance industry, and could tell you tales of such audacity they would be almost unbelievable.

Let's have a look at this in say 6 months, and see what tales are reported,

Watch this space.

Sign in to follow this