Jump to content

Scottish Site Recommendations


Recommended Posts

Due to the high ferry costs we are thinking about having a weeks holiday in Scotland, travelling up from Bedfordshire, really appreciate any recommendations regarding sites. We're a family of three daughter is teenager, our likes:

  • Good quality site, mains power & good toilet / shower block.  
  • Local restaurant & pubs within short drive or walk for evening meals.
  • Easy access to larger cities, shopping sight seeing.
  • Local days out / tourist attractions.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, a18041967 said:

Due to the high ferry costs we are thinking about having a weeks holiday in Scotland, travelling up from Bedfordshire, really appreciate any recommendations regarding sites. We're a family of three daughter is teenager, our likes:

  • Good quality site, mains power & good toilet / shower block.  
  • Local restaurant & pubs within short drive or walk for evening meals.
  • Easy access to larger cities, shopping sight seeing.
  • Local days out / tourist attractions.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reasonably good selection of sites, at all levels, around Edinburgh - nice city too.

The real Scotland is the Highlands but that may not suit your needs.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are good caravan sites right up the East Coast of Scotland. At least 1 in every town.

If you wish to tour the Highlands, there is a good site at Aviemore and also a couple in Inverness.

Teenage daughter----beware highlanders wearing Kilts  LOL

Cannot understand why people think Edinburgh is the B all & end all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, blondchaser said:

There are good caravan sites right up the East Coast of Scotland. At least 1 in every town.

If you wish to tour the Highlands, there is a good site at Aviemore and also a couple in Inverness.

Teenage daughter----beware highlanders wearing Kilts  LOL

Cannot understand why people think Edinburgh is the B all & end all.

Edinburgh - compared to what, since the OP wanted access to larger cities

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well if they go to the Club site at Edinburgh they should be prepared for planes landing 24/7. The site is under the landing approach path - daytime it can be a plane going over at 2,500 feet every 5 mins, 2 or 3 in the morning it's down to one every 30 mins. Jools

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Caravan Clubs site at Melrose would tick most of the boxes, we like the area and its history plus there's plenty to do.  However it depends on how far you want to travel as Scotland is a big place.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been up to the highlands (camped on the shores of Loch Ness).  I'm also looking myself of going back, but staying at the site near Fort William.   I thinks it called Glen Nevis camping and caravan site: http://www. glen-nevis. co. uk/ at the foot of Ben Nevis.   But beware, the midges are out and about from May onwards, until probably end of October.   Only the Scottish could invent these nasties:D.   The view in the Highlands is something to be in awe of.   I've visited various places including the Grand Canyon, 17 mile drive on the Pacific highway, and absolutely nothing beats the Highlands.   If you visit the west coast, then the drive through Glencoe is amazing.   I've heard (but probably someone can confirm), the east side is not as bad for midges.

 

Edited by Babstreefern
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a few to recommend . ...

Edinburgh CC Site . .. the comment about plane noise is valid but has never bothered me, you don't notice it most of the time.

Balbirnie Park CC Site at Markinch in Fife . .. nice site, easy walking distance to the village of Markinch, Edinburgh a train ride away (station in the village), easy access to other towns such as Dundee, Stirling and Aberdeen.   Nice central location.

Silverbank CC site at Banchory on Royal Deeside . .. Aberdeen is a short drive but plenty to do locally too.  

Ayr Craigie Gardens CC Site . .. Town of Ayr is a short walk and train access to Glasgow.

 Use all of these sites regularly, no issues with midges, all are well maintained and well run.

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

Link to post
Share on other sites

Drummohr at Musselburgh. .. 25 minutes by bus to Princes Street Edinburgh.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shipbroker said:

Drummohr at Musselburgh. .. 25 minutes by bus to Princes Street Edinburgh.

geoff

Seconded - love that site and the surrounding area.    North Berwick is one of my favourite places.     The Wetherspoons pub in Musselburgh is worth a visit for food as well - all art deco set in a former cinema.    Also can get train into Edinburgh, quicker than bus and reasonable ticket price.    

Janet and Jason xxx
Jeep Cherokee Limited 2. 0CRD (2015) towing a 2016 Swift Challenger 530 Alde

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Janet said:

Seconded - love that site and the surrounding area.    North Berwick is one of my favourite places.     The Wetherspoons pub in Musselburgh is worth a visit for food as well - all art deco set in a former cinema.    Also can get train into Edinburgh, quicker than bus and reasonable ticket price.    

And free parking at Newcraighall station

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Link to post
Share on other sites

A long way to tow for a week. Have a look at the Borders and Dumfries & Galloway, much underrated,  with plenty of sites to boot.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all your suggestions, currently have a booking at the Edinburgh CC, already full, but seriously considering Drummohr at Musselburgh.

So my next question is any over night site recommendations, the plan is to drive up so far Friday and arrive Saturday lunchtime. Ideally sites not too far from the route up the A1 ?.

Questions regarding Drummohr are all the suggested places to visit walking distance our short drive. Site sounds good in terms of local places to visit, cheaper than CC, my concern is the site a large holiday park with kids running around. ? CC looks good and we know what to expect in terms of site, not sure about local attractions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We were there in July just at start of Edinburgh Festival. ...site was fairly busy,yes there were some children but not in the rally field area. ...and all was quiet at nights. ....very easy access to A1. .....

If you were a C&CC member also the site at Dubar is a brilliant one, rallied there but not a member. ..again easy access to A1 and not too far south of Edinburgh.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Link to post
Share on other sites

C&CC hold a rally at Bridge of Allen thru most of August and may possibly lay on transport to the Tattoo. Nice big site overlooked by Stirling castle, lovely walk into Dunblane. Min facils tho. ....

Edited by MalH

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...