Landmarks when you're nearly home

Black Grouse

7 hours ago, Paul_B said:

The writing was on the wall after the fire a few years ago, however I can remember when it first fell down.   My SILs dad had advised them on how to position the cooling towers and his concerns with their original plans, but they new a better way :lol:

Strewth Paul, you've got a long memory!  I'm 70 and was still at school when they first fell down!   :D

John.

On 1/1/2018 at 21:20, mayblossom said:

When we hit the hold ups on the M25. ...junction 9 . ..that's home 😆😆

11 hours ago, philspot said:

Same for us, except J 30 (and the queues are probably longer) !

Dartford Crossing for us.

or if we're coming the other way the 25,  Clacket Lane services.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Some years ago a good Geordie friend of mine told me he always came home after a long journey via the Tyne Bridge and would sing a chorus of ' Fog on The Tyne' as he crossed it - he lived near Whitley Bay! 

Road signs to THE NORTH. Maybe still a long way to go, but always good to be heading in the right direction.

John.

16 minutes ago, John19 said:

Road signs to THE NORTH. Maybe still a long way to go, but always good to be heading in the right direction.

John.

Where is "the North"? By the time you should be there, they stop using the term.

The top of Canary Wharf tower, appearing above the horizon.

Edited by GT Mariner

52 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Where is "the North"? By the time you should be there, they stop using the term.

By the time they stop using the term, you ARE there!

15 minutes ago, GT Mariner said:

By the time they stop using the term, you ARE there!

I don't think they should stop until you get to Inverness

34 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

I don't think they should stop until you get to Inverness

My first experience of “horizontal rain “ was in Inverness, and this was in July!

Not been tempted back since!

Angel of the North if coming from the South on the M1- just 20 miles until home. .. always pleased to see her, from the North I love seeing Budle Bay and the view beyond,as we pass heading South, always pretty. Mind you there are so many gorgeous spots in Northumberland we are never really hard done to. ...

2 minutes ago, Northerngirl1 said:

Angel of the North if coming from the South on the M1- just 20 miles until home. .. always pleased to see her, from the North I love seeing Budle Bay and the view beyond,as we pass heading South, always pretty. Mind you there are so many gorgeous spots in Northumberland we are never really hard done to. ...

Northumberland is the best English county IMO - particularly away from the coast.

1 hour ago, GT Mariner said:

My first experience of “horizontal rain “ was in Inverness, and this was in July!

Not been tempted back since!

You were unlucky! Try again.

Beautiful area with relatively easy access to the West coast as well as the East. The West coast up there has palm trees too as it is bounded by the Gulf Stream.

Edited by paulthomas

The Severn Bridge going west, back into God's Country 😉

55 minutes ago, Llew said:

The Severn Bridge going west, back into God's Country 😉

I didn't know the Severn Bridge went into Yorkshire ?

Oh sorry that's God's OWN Country. ......

I left 'home' in 1988 and now as then I know I've only got 20 mins to go when I cross the M1 Tinsley viaduct at Meadowhall and on my way back 'home' to Monchengladbach I know I've only 20 minutes to go when I cross the Dutch/German border or 5 minutes when I can see Borussia Park (Football Stadium).

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I left 'home' in 1988 and now as then I know I've only got 20 mins to go when I cross the M1 Tinsley viaduct at Meadowhall and on my way back 'home' to Monchengladbach I know I've only 20 minutes to go when I cross the Dutch/German border or 5 minutes when I can see Borussia Park (Football Stadium).

I think the traffic congestion takes a lot longer to get across Tinsley these days - there's a reduced speed limit there but I've never got up to it yet!

Ferrybridge is another one for me if I'm apprpaching it going northbound on the A1 or westbound on the M62.