Sign in to follow this  
AlanNancy

Which is the best credit card to use in Europe

Nationwide credit card for all purchases, and automatic clear the balance each month. No fees and no commission.

Nationwide credit card for purchases. Nationwide debit for cash from hole in wall.

6 minutes ago, MGBGTV8 said:

Nationwide credit card for purchases. Nationwide debit for cash from hole in wall.

There are charges for foreign use of N/Wide debit cards with the exception of the Flex Plus account.

3 minutes ago, KNARF said:

There are charges for foreign use of N/Wide debit cards with the exception of the Flex Plus account.

We have Flex Plus, sorry forgot to mention that 

Edited by MGBGTV8

2 hours ago, lunarloopy said:

Our Travel Cash Passport through Travelex is now Chip and Pin. No charge for using ATM’s abroad and Automatic fuel pumps accept them at the major super markets.

we load them up when exchange rate is favourable.

+1

2 hours ago, lunarloopy said:

Our Travel Cash Passport through Travelex is now Chip and Pin. No charge for using ATM’s abroad and Automatic fuel pumps accept them at the major super markets.

we load them up when exchange rate is favourable.

Out of interest then if you have pre loaded the card with twenty pounds and you go to ASDA where they pre approve you to spend up to £99, do you get any fuel over £20?

I'm with P&R on this with a Fairfx card. I watch what the exchange rate is and when good transfer money across to my card. Even if I do not use the card immediately but months later, you still get the same rate as you transferred it over. I also like  this as a way of saving up for a holiday. It's free if used to pay straight from the card but I don't think to take money from an ATM, so I never use an ATM!  As for petrol pumps there are many other options to use as I don't rely solely on one card.

I've also got a Monzo card which has free transactions abroad.  It's an app based bank and although I have not run it as a current account they now have this option.  It is a new idea of banking all by card and phone only which I picked up from Martyn Lewis website. I think the charges are changing slightly now they are moving into becoming more of a current account bank and I think that charges will apply if you take more than £200 out in any 4 week period,  but as we have not been out of the UK recently I haven't looked fully into it, however I don't think they have introduced charges for using the card in shops or restaurants.  I have been pleased with it too, and in particular I like the fact once you use your card the transaction pops up on your phone, so any corrupt misuse instantly alerts you and you can stop your card immediately yourself.  It's worth investigating though  

Plus always have cash handy but not a great deal.

Bergamo

Sorry this repeats a previous post by Wallace which indicates that pre-pay cards shouldn't be used in automated fuel pumps or at peage barriers on the autoroute.   

Edited by ValA

1 minute ago, ValA said:

This is the quote on the FairFX website about use at automatic pumps:

Unfortunately there is a service restriction when using FairFX cards at automated petrol pumps and dispensers. We have been forced to introduce a restriction for use of the FairFX Card at self-service petrol pumps and motorway toll booths. The reason for this is that these types of terminals do not check that there is sufficient funds on the card prior to authorisation. The result is that the FairFX Card be forced into a negative balance by use of the card at such terminals.

Please do note that the restriction only applies to self service petrol pumps and motorway toll booths. Should the petrol garage and / or motorway toll booth be manned then the FairFX Card can be used without issue.  

Cheers yes, I quoted the same earlier.

Sorry didn't see that!  

I was not making a definitive comment about fuel pumps but giving information about what I use abroad as per the original post.   I assumed that posting information on here is to assist the original poster who then reads through comments and comes to their own decision!!!

I used the Fairfx 100pct at all tolls and petrol stations over the last few years in Europe. Actually some tolls would have been paid cash on reflection.

Yes it's possible (but maybe unlikely) that all were attended or maybe the FAQ is a little over zealous and setting expectations at a low barrier.

Interestingly I'm in the US at the moment and NONE of our credit cards work at pay at pump. .. Have to prepay cash or card in the shop.

Edited by PandR

1 hour ago, Bergamo said:

I was not making a definitive comment about fuel pumps but giving information about what I use abroad as per the original post.   I assumed that posting information on here is to assist the original poster who then reads through comments and comes to their own decision!!!

Indeed.

Real life experiences are most valuable.

7 hours ago, Wallace said:

And I'm finding PayPal more use than many other forms of payment for online purchases.

Have been able to have all kinds of stuff ordered in US and paid with my UK PayPal account when the card address being in the UK is problematical.

1 hour ago, Bergamo said:

Of course, I don't think anybody has suggested otherwise have they?

We use a Saga credit card - no transaction fee, no currency conversion fee, and 0% interest on cash withdrawals (although there is a 2% fee for withdrawal).

5 hours ago, KNARF said:

Edited by Wallace
Misread

Another vote for Halifax Clarity. It only comes out for hols abroad, no issues.  

Post Office Credit Card.   I only use it for spending abroad.   It can also be pre loaded.   Simple

We each have Nationwide credit card but have now also opened a Starling bank account. There are no overseas charges for withdawals on this debit card, it is managed via mobile phone app and is soooo easy! As soon as you use an ATM for your cash you get a message to say how much has been withdrawn shown in £ making it easy to keep track of how much you have spent. You can link it to another account so you can transfer funds in if you need to, and it also pays a small amount of interest.

We used to have an N&P account, but this is a brilliant alternative.

Joy

We have just got a Barclay card for foreign use, no charges at all if paid off within the month. Euro rate is the visa rate at the time of use, no withdraw fee for atm. All free until 2022

https://www. barclaycard. co. uk/personal/credit-cards/platinum-travel-credit-card

Edited by Kevin H

Please don't mention MetroBank. Good as they may be they are almost wholly in the SE - the furthest north is Peterborough - and you cannot open an account with visiting a branch!

Halifax Clarity credit card and pre-loaded Caxton FX card for when we need cash.

33 minutes ago, ianfish said:

Halifax Clarity credit card and pre-loaded Caxton FX card for when we need cash.

Before we had N/Wide Plus I used Halifax Clarity for everything including cash from ATMs

Nationwide Flex Current account and Select Credit Card - no fees and always on checking the exchange rate it’s way better than I’d get taking the money out in advance. Cashback too which is worth having.